Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: remdk
Trip report of the tour with pictures and answers to some ambiguity.

http://focusedflyer.com/2016/01/06/qatar-airways-free-doha-city-tour-review/

In post 135 of this thread Brighterside suggests that the free tours have been replaced by tours costing QAR 40. This has yet to be confirmed but be warned that changes may be happening right now.
Print Wikipost

Qatar Airways Launches Free Doha City Tour For Transit Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:41 am

Brighterside this is sad news indeed! As yet there is nothing official from QR but the evidence points to it being true. Thr free city tours are no longer visible but the paid tours are, and apparently using the same desk as the free tours used. Note that the number of tours has increased from four to six and that https://discoverqatar.qatarairways.c...transittourtNc says " Transit duration is calculated from the moment the customer disembarks from the aircraft, the customer is responsible for calculating their transit time and to plan for enough time to catch their connecting flight, Discover Qatar will not be responsible for any missed flights resulting from time mismanagement." and the standard "Tours are bookable no less than 90 minutes prior to tour departure subject to availability".
I will add a comment to the Wiki saying it is thought that the free tours have ceased. As yet we have no confirmation that they have ceased.
Brighterside likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
It still comes up on here as free.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...city-tour.html
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:50 am

Leaping_Deere that is precisely why I urged caution. As I said in the Wiki "This has yet to be confirmed but be warned that changes may be happening right now.".
QR have a habit of unlinking a page from the website but still retaining the page itsself. If you have the direct link information it is still shown even though its content may no longer be valid.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
I suspect all will be revealed by then but when if not when I'm in DOH beginning of Feb I'll report back!
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA*S, AA Plat, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Transited in DOH on January 13th. The tour desk still offered the free tours but said the changes to paid tours are coming up in "the next couple of days". The staff member also said that he believes schedules will be unchanged.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
It looks like the tour can now be booked online, and has a cost of QAR 40.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 9:14 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
So I'm arriving on QR 702 which typically arrives earlier (around 4:30pm), I'm curious if I can make the 6pm tour? I can book it online in advance to secure the spot but just want to check if it's at all possible. I'm flying in J so security check should be quick.

Additionally, I will have a piece of carry on roller and backpack, can I store the luggage in the lounge or does the bus have a luggage storage space available?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by jix
So I'm arriving on QR 702 which typically arrives earlier (around 4:30pm), I'm curious if I can make the 6pm tour? I can book it online in advance to secure the spot but just want to check if it's at all possible. I'm flying in J so security check should be quick.

Additionally, I will have a piece of carry on roller and backpack, can I store the luggage in the lounge or does the bus have a luggage storage space available?
Looking at the recent history of QR 702, I think the chances of making the 6pm tour are slim. You have to check in at the tour desk 75 minutes prior to departure, or else you're considered a no show and I presume they can give your spot away. After you check in, tickets are distributed, which are collected after going through immigration. The process of going through immigration, led by a tour employee, begins well before 6pm, as 6pm is the bus departure time (from right outside of baggage claim). As far as luggage goes, it is possible to check it in the Al Mourjan (and maybe others?) lounge, though there may be confusion as to whether this is allowed or not, so I would try not to draw too much attention if I were you. You can store your luggage on the bus, but if it's bigger than a small personal item, like your roller probably is, it will likely be put underneath.

I recently took the 8pm tour after arriving on QR 778 and found it to be a great way to break up a long layover.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:19 pm
jix

Originally Posted by ncSam
Looking at the recent history of QR 702, I think the chances of making the 6pm tour are slim. You have to check in at the tour desk 75 minutes prior to departure, or else you're considered a no show and I presume they can give your spot away. After you check in, tickets are distributed, which are collected after going through immigration. The process of going through immigration, led by a tour employee, begins well before 6pm, as 6pm is the bus departure time (from right outside of baggage claim). As far as luggage goes, it is possible to check it in the Al Mourjan (and maybe others?) lounge, though there may be confusion as to whether this is allowed or not, so I would try not to draw too much attention if I were you. You can store your luggage on the bus, but if it's bigger than a small personal item, like your roller probably is, it will likely be put underneath.

I recently took the 8pm tour after arriving on QR 778 and found it to be a great way to break up a long layover.
Thanks, so the bus has a storage space for carry-on? Also what time will I likely be back at airport with the 8pm tour?

Also, are there free time allocated for shopping? I'd like to buy some souvenirs and dates in Souq Waqif or supermarket, as that's my main goal really so not sure if it's worth sticking with the tour group or just go out the airport by myself.

Last edited by jix; Feb 12, 2018 at 8:42 pm
Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks, so the bus has a storage space for carry-on? Also what time will I likely be back at airport with the 8pm tour?

Also, are there free time allocated for shopping? I'd like to buy some souvenirs and dates in Souq Waqif or supermarket, as that's my main goal really so not sure if it's worth sticking with the tour group or just go out the airport by myself.
Storage looked plentiful under the bus (it's a big bus the size of a normal charter or express bus). The 8pm tour got us back to the airport just before 10:30pm; they advertise the tour as maximum 2.5 hours. Premium check-in was open and was a breeze, and we were back in the lounge within minutes. There are 4 stops on the tour, with the first 3 being only 5-10 minutes to look around and snap some pictures, and the last being about 30 minutes at Souq Waqif to grab some quick food or souvenirs (dates should be easy to find). The tour follows the same process for leaving the airport as detailed in this DIY tour thread. Both the standard and DIY tour would fulfill your goals and can be easily done, it's just a matter of whether you prefer the convenience and peace-of-mind of the organized tour or the leisure of the DIY tour.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:14 pm
jix

Originally Posted by ncSam
Storage looked plentiful under the bus (it's a big bus the size of a normal charter or express bus). The 8pm tour got us back to the airport just before 10:30pm; they advertise the tour as maximum 2.5 hours. Premium check-in was open and was a breeze, and we were back in the lounge within minutes. There are 4 stops on the tour, with the first 3 being only 5-10 minutes to look around and snap some pictures, and the last being about 30 minutes at Souq Waqif to grab some quick food or souvenirs (dates should be easy to find). The tour follows the same process for leaving the airport as detailed in this DIY tour thread. Both the standard and DIY tour would fulfill your goals and can be easily done, it's just a matter of whether you prefer the convenience and peace-of-mind of the organized tour or the leisure of the DIY tour.
Thanks for the info, two questions:

At the QR transit counter (after clearing security transit check) is it possible to pay the fee by credit card?

Alternatively if I were to just enter Qatar without entering transit area and then take uber to the souq and do the shopping/dining there, is it possible to go cashless and just depend on credit card?

Last edited by jix; Feb 13, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Old Feb 14, 2018, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by jix
Thanks for the info, two questions:

At the QR transit counter (after clearing security transit check) is it possible to pay the fee by credit card?

Alternatively if I were to just enter Qatar without entering transit area and then take uber to the souq and do the shopping/dining there, is it possible to go cashless and just depend on credit card?
The transit counter did take credit cards, though I recommend booking online as tours do supposedly sell out (though probably less so now that there's a cost associated with them). I'm not sure if it's possible to independently do everything (taxi, shopping, dining, etc.) cashless, so I'll let someone else answer that.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by jix
Credit card ok for using Uber and dining and the vast majority of shops. But maybe not all of them in the Souq. Also regular taxis don't take card so would have to stick to Ubers.
So probably for 90% of the time a card would be ok. However, I would suggest having at least a small bit of cash. Either get QR100 from an ATM or pay for something from an airport shop in another currency and get the change back in Riyals?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 8:10 am

i and my partner are arriving in doha on flight 714 (iah to doha) at 4:40pm and my departing flight to male is at 2:10am. travelling in j so have lounge access. The tour cost shows 75pp. is it worth taking this tour or should i just hang out at the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.