Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR (Qatar) refurbished A330s with horizontal lie-flat business class seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
The reconfigured A332 comes in two versions, one is distinguishable by the 4th row being behind the galley and doesn't use the B/E Diamond seats. The second reconfigured A332 version uses the B/E Diamond seats and is not distinguishable from the seat map. For updated info, refer to the wiki on this thread.
Print Wikipost

QR (Qatar) refurbished A330s with horizontal lie-flat business class seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2014, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
Given the tendency for equipment swaps, you would never know until the day of travel anyway!

I'm not aware of any A330 that have the 77W/77L style 180 flat?
Not exactly the 77W but the recline has greatly improved across the A330 fleet. I would say 170 degrees not quite 180 degrees.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:19 am

QatarA340,

The non-retrofitted A330s either have the Recaro Lie-Flat or the BE Minipod. The photo by Flyboy_se looks like the BE Minipod too but an updated version, you can see the arm rest is different, the cloth material is different, shape of the foot rest, the reading light, the divider between the two seats, the material of the armrest (burgundy leather), the colour of the wood veneer and the biggest giveaway is the IFE controller which is a touchscreen design like on the 787.

You asked about the A320s, the economy seats on the A320 is the latest Recaro version like on the 787 (but wider) its a good seat. The ones that have been retrofitted are only about a year old. You are right they seem to be dedicating the first two to the longer flights, for example VIE and FCO are getting these two birds often.

I am really happy about the A320 now, I will gladly fly the retrofitted ones to Europe and no longer try to avoid them. Now I can't wait to see how F on the A380s will look like!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1Rotate
QatarA340,

The non-retrofitted A330s either have the Recaro Lie-Flat or the BE Minipod. The photo by Flyboy_se looks like the BE Minipod too but an updated version, you can see the arm rest is different, the cloth material is different, shape of the foot rest, the reading light, the divider between the two seats, the material of the armrest (burgundy leather), the colour of the wood veneer and the biggest giveaway is the IFE controller which is a touchscreen design like on the 787.

You asked about the A320s, the economy seats on the A320 is the latest Recaro version like on the 787 (but wider) its a good seat. The ones that have been retrofitted are only about a year old. You are right they seem to be dedicating the first two to the longer flights, for example VIE and FCO are getting these two birds often.

I am really happy about the A320 now, I will gladly fly the retrofitted ones to Europe and no longer try to avoid them. Now I can't wait to see how F on the A380s will look like!
I cant wait to fly on the A320s with those babies as well!

As for the A330's, I have flown those versions many times, and yeah they are a big improvement; but seat width is a major problem and comfort. The 787 seats are much better I think; I am not sure if they take up more space or not than the BE minipods.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 10:11 am

The 787 seats are much better I think; I am not sure if they take up more space or not than the BE minipods.
They do, if they install the 787 style BE Super Diamond they will have to go down to 20 seats from 24 on the A330-200 and 24 seats from 30 on the A330-300. They can keep the same seat count by installing the BE Diamond (not super diamond) which is the A320 product. The advantage of the super diamond is direct aisle access for all passengers.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
Thank you all for the very good news. I am so happy that the A320s are getting new business class seats similar to the ones on the B787. I stopped flying with QR mainly because of that aircraft. I travel a lot between Tokyo and Tunis where The Tunis flight is operated by an A320. I can’t wait for my next flight on QR after a switch to EK for almost 4 years. I did some research and it looks like all the routs longer than 6 hours will be operated by the A320s with the new business class seats, Tunis is included. Can’t wait to try it this coming July.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:07 am
Original Poster

They do, if they install the 787 style BE Super Diamond they will have to go down to 20 seats from 24 on the A330-200 and 24 seats from 30 on the A330-300. They can keep the same seat count by installing the BE Diamond (not super diamond) which is the A320 product. The advantage of the super diamond is direct aisle access for all passengers.
That's quite a drastic fall in premium seats! Im sure that they will keep the same number of J passengers and go away with one or two rows of economy
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Gold, Singapore air Kris flyer,Emirates Silver, Etihad Gold
It will be nice if some of our frequent flyers can take pictures of the new business class seat on the A320 and tell us what they think about it and their own impressions.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by tokyolyon
It will be nice if some of our frequent flyers can take pictures of the new business class seat on the A320 and tell us what they think about it and their own impressions.
Found these pics on airliners.net

Looks nice.

Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the BE Diamond (not super diamond) which is the A320 product
The new 320 and 330 product is not a diamond seat. It is an off-the-shelf H-V-H seat from B/E Aerospace. QR felt (rightly, in my view) that there was no case for developing a diamond seat for 320 and 330 equipment as the costs and lead time would have been too high.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:53 am

Sixth Freedom,

I know you worked in product development but trust me the A320 seat is called the BE Diamond, it is an off the shelf product but it is called the BE Diamond. It is the same as the PMCO 757 and AA A321T business class and on the press releases for these product announcements they are referred to as the BE Diamond seat, similarly if you look at BE Aerospace's website or trade magazine it is called the BE Diamond seat. The 787 product was called the Qatar Super Diamond, as I am sure you know.

Last edited by N1Rotate; Feb 5, 2014 at 10:05 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 4:01 am

Programs: QF WP, QR GOLD, TK GOLD, EY GOLD, AF/KLM GOLD
Those A320 seats look great. Can't believe the put a flat bed in a NB!

Salam QatarA340!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

trust me the A320 seat is called the BE Diamond, it is an off the shelf product but it is called the BE Diamond. It is the same as the PMCO 757 and AA A321T business class and on the press releases for these product announcements they are referred to as the BE Diamond seat
I believe you! Funny name though, given that the seat's footprint is not a diamond!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
I'll fly an A332 from MXP this April. How many chances to get the refurbished do I have?
I'd love if they were the 787 seats, but I understand it's unlikely for space reasons. I hope we will make things clearer by then.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
These new J seats look very similar to the ones AA are rolling out across their Airbus fleet:

Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Again design before comfort and functionality. The same faraway screens from old first class. But maybe an acceptable sacrifice to achieve the flatbed?

Last edited by RUN4FUN; Feb 7, 2014 at 11:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.