Search

Comparison of J - QR Vs EY

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Comparison of J - QR Vs EY

Hi

In the past i have been in QR - J ( JFK to DOH and beyond )
Looking for J in Feb-2014 - from JFk/IAD/ORD but EY looks much much cheaper
Anyway the miles will go to my AA account so EY or QR is not the problem
This is much awaited family vacation so wanted to know QR - EY Comparison

Any information / experience is much appreciated .

Thanks
-Rbn
Old Jan 3, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
The EY seat offers a higher degree of privacy than the QR seat and direct aisle access for window passengers but you may find EY much more cramped than QR.

EY config is somewhere between 2-2-2 and 2-4-2 in a pseudo-yin-yang arrangement whereas QR offers 2-2-2 on every aircraft.

On balance I would be inclined to go with QR.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: TK Gold, Etihad Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold.
Etihad versus Qatar

Hi there,

Having flown both my preference would be Etihad. I prefer their business class lounge in Abu Dhabi and avoiding the many buses in Doha. In Paris they do not have fully flat seats, thus not very comfortable.

Only item I prefer on QR is the business class red wine is usually of very high quality.

Cheers,

Tim
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Thanks timo468 and Sixth Freedom for your inputs
Some how QR matched EY rate from IAD , So i am happy and booked QR

- Thanks Again
- Rbn
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Resurrecting an old thread to see if opinions have changed...

We have a choice between JFK-DOH-CAI on QR J (A350) or JFK-AUH-CAI on EY J (A380). (Our return is on EY F.)

From what I can tell, QR's J has a better seat, better food and a better (?) transit lounge (Safwa). EY has a complimentary ground transfer to the airport, a (much) better lounge at JFK, and a better onboard lounge. My inclination is to go with QR for three reasons: (a) sake of variety/comparison to EY; (b) opportunity for a quick Doha excursion during a long layover; and (c) better seat for sleeping.

Do people with knowledge of both agree, particularly with respect to (c)? If sleeping was better on EY I might consider it...

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by as219
Resurrecting an old thread to see if opinions have changed...

We have a choice between JFK-DOH-CAI on QR J (A350) or JFK-AUH-CAI on EY J (A380). (Our return is on EY F.)

From what I can tell, QR's J has a better seat, better food and a better (?) transit lounge (Safwa). EY has a complimentary ground transfer to the airport, a (much) better lounge at JFK, and a better onboard lounge. My inclination is to go with QR for three reasons: (a) sake of variety/comparison to EY; (b) opportunity for a quick Doha excursion during a long layover; and (c) better seat for sleeping.

Do people with knowledge of both agree, particularly with respect to (c)? If sleeping was better on EY I might consider it...

Thanks!
Be careful relying on the Etihad chauffeur service. I booked a super discounted J ticket with them a year ago and they wouldn't give me the chauffeur service. J on both airlines is superb, I marginally prefer QR but would still fly EY anytime but avoiding the Jetihad aircraft.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 3:31 pm

I'd suggest that QR is the way to go - AUH is not much fun for a transfer.

The A350 is a beautiful ride, quiet with a very nice seat for sitting or sleeping.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by capin
Be careful relying on the Etihad chauffeur service. I booked a super discounted J ticket with them a year ago and they wouldn't give me the chauffeur service. J on both airlines is superb, I marginally prefer QR but would still fly EY anytime but avoiding the Jetihad aircraft.
Fair enough, though car service to the airport isn't that important in the scheme of things.

Out of curiosity, why do you "marginally" prefer QR?

Originally Posted by mr_botak
I'd suggest that QR is the way to go - AUH is not much fun for a transfer.

The A350 is a beautiful ride, quiet with a very nice seat for sitting or sleeping.
I've heard this more than once... Is the A350 really quieter than the A380?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:04 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
It's always worth noting, that aircraft do change, especially on the A350 routes.

As such, you may find yourself on a 777 opposed to an A350.

Never book a routing purely for the aircraft.

M
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
It's always worth noting, that aircraft do change, especially on the A350 routes.

As such, you may find yourself on a 777 opposed to an A350.

Never book a routing purely for the aircraft.

M
Good point. Happened me on my upcoming trip AMS-DOH-BKK. AMS-DOH was originally on a 787 but has now been switched to a 777. No big deal as I like the 777.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:05 am

Fair enough, though car service to the airport isn't that important in the scheme of things.

Out of curiosity, why do you "marginally" prefer QR?

Agreed, I wasn't too bothered about the car.

On Qatar, I preferred -

The lounges (LHR T4 and Al Mourjan)
The aircraft and seat (I really liked the 380 and found the Etihad seats a little narrow)
The wine and champagne.

On Etihad, I preferred -

The cabin service and crew.
The catering.

I was also fortunate to have flown the little all business A319 (I think) LHR-DOH. That was my second favourite flight of all time, Only beaten by BA001 SSC LHR-JFK in 2003.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 9:31 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by capin
Good point. Happened me on my upcoming trip AMS-DOH-BKK. AMS-DOH was originally on a 787 but has now been switched to a 777. No big deal as I like the 777.
That change was made due to increased passenger numbers flying out of AMS (due to people taking advantage of the cheap ex-AMS trips!).

The A350 issue, is down to the delays in the airframes being delivered.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 3:12 pm

I'd put the 380 and 350 in the same bracket; both are very quiet. I suspect it depends where you are on the aircraft, but the 350 in the front couple of rows is I think the quietest I've experienced.

I just love looking back at the crazy shaped wing tip on the A350.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 7:17 pm

QR is the way to go.

I flew EY J on IAD-AUH in the 789 and the entire time I was pining for QR J. QR has much better food, less confining seats, and a superior IFE selection. EY had lousy wine (even when flying the Apartments!)
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
My preference is definitely QR. My last MEL>DOH>IST & return trip on EY, the J Class food was just about inedible (that's nothing to eat of any substance for nearly a day). I could go on with a list of "other issues" but suffice to say, my last flight on EY in J will remain last flight with EY.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.