Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When will Qatar's 787's return to work ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH

I see that a fix has been approved for the Dreamliners battery issues.
Does anyone know when Qatar's planes are expected to return to the flight line ?

I have a booking on the DOH PER route (late July) which was running a 787. Flightmapper still indicates that a 777 is on the route.
Just wondering .......
Old Apr 22, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
I saw a month from now, about May 23rd, quoted I believe.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Originally Posted by in2it54
I see that a fix has been approved for the Dreamliners battery issues.
Does anyone know when Qatar's planes are expected to return to the flight line ?

I have a booking on the DOH PER route (late July) which was running a 787. Flightmapper still indicates that a 777 is on the route.
Just wondering .......
It will start May 5, DOH-DXB.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:22 pm

According to the Aviation press some time ago A fix was approved for the loose batteries ONLY. Nothing about fixing the other problems (overheating batteries etc).

Is extreme heat in a very confined space probably surrounded by thousands of gallons of fuel safe?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by remdk
According to the Aviation press some time ago A fix was approved for the loose batteries ONLY. Nothing about fixing the other problems (overheating batteries etc).

Is extreme heat in a very confined space probably surrounded by thousands of gallons of fuel safe?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22251756

Safe fix is apparently ready to be installed, 5 days/plane.

May 5th seems a little ambitious, but just maybe...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:54 pm

Programs: Privilege Club
As per the update from Airlines Route,

QATAR Airways
*Boeing 787 schedule updated on 08APR13
Doha – Frankfurt 1 daily from 25MAY13 (2 daily from 01JUN13)
Doha – London Heathrow 1 daily (QR075/076) from 15MAY13
Doha – Munich 1 daily from (QR009/010) 20MAY13 (11 weekly from 01JUN13, 14 weekly from 02OCT13)
Doha – Zurich 1 daily from 01JUN13
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:46 am

Didn't Akbar state QR would be flying the 787 before the end of this month? He has never been wrong before!
Old Apr 27, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: HHon Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TG Gold, QR Plat, OZ Gold, AF Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Priority Pass

Am booked on DXB flights from 6th May and shows 787. Trust QR Will follow the lead of Ethiopian and JAL and have them running again?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Privilege Club
Have to wait and see. They can change equipment at the very last minute.
Old May 1, 2013, 3:38 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
I saw a 787 on the tarmac at DOH this morning that looked ready to fly: it had stairs, an external ground power unit, and engineers crawling all over it.
Old May 1, 2013, 4:17 am

Programs: QR PC Silver, FlySmiles, Skywards
http://airlineroute.net/2013/04/29/qr-787-may13update2/
Old May 1, 2013, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF QR Silver, DJ,TG,MH
That ellusive DOH -> PER is not back on the radar yet.
Well, it wasn't when I origanally booked the ticket, so I can't complain.
It just popped up (my 787 flight) then popped off, with the acrid smell of burning plastic.
I have until the end of June for my flight, so the 787 may well be re-instated.
Then again, if there are any wiffs of smoke, maybe the 777 is not a bad option.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:16 am
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
Official QR statement

Qatar Airways has today resumed its Boeing 787 services after a worldwide grounding of the aircraft in January.

Akbar Al Baker, CEO of Qatar Airways said: “I have always hailed the Dreamliner as the state-of-the-art aircraft destined to change the way people travel and I was delighted to be on board our first 787 to take to the air again.

Throughout the grounding of our fleet we have worked closely with Boeing to monitor the situation and work towards getting our fleet up and running again.

Safety has always been the number one priority for Qatar Airways and I have full confidence in the safety and security of this aircraft.”

All of us at Qatar Airways are proud to have the Boeing 787 Dreamliner back in the skies. We look forward to you joining us!
Old May 3, 2013, 5:55 am

787 - A ticking bomb

According to BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22251756) a fix has been made for smoke emissions BUT no attempt has been made to correct the real problem. “Mr Loftis said: "It is possible we will never know the root cause.”

The solution: Put the batteries in an enclosed steel box and ventilate it outside of the aircraft.

Yet another hole in the fuselage thus changing the aerodynamics very, very slightly and weakening the fuselage of an aircraft that has a much higher pressure in the pressure cabin than almost any other aircraft.

That is minor compared with the ventilation of a ‘fire’ in a very enclosed space. Air expands when heated but for effective smoke extraction some air needs to be replaced by fresh air. Thus extra fuel to the fire!

The risk seems to be greatest at or soon after take off when the aviation fuel load is heaviest.

If there is the slightest risk of a fire onboard then the aircraft must be grounded until the risk is eliminated. Anything else is playing with lives for mammon.
Old May 5, 2013, 1:40 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by remdk
According to BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22251756) a fix has been made for smoke emissions BUT no attempt has been made to correct the real problem. “Mr Loftis said: "It is possible we will never know the root cause.”

The solution: Put the batteries in an enclosed steel box and ventilate it outside of the aircraft.

Yet another hole in the fuselage thus changing the aerodynamics very, very slightly and weakening the fuselage of an aircraft that has a much higher pressure in the pressure cabin than almost any other aircraft.

That is minor compared with the ventilation of a ‘fire’ in a very enclosed space. Air expands when heated but for effective smoke extraction some air needs to be replaced by fresh air. Thus extra fuel to the fire!

The risk seems to be greatest at or soon after take off when the aviation fuel load is heaviest.

If there is the slightest risk of a fire onboard then the aircraft must be grounded until the risk is eliminated. Anything else is playing with lives for mammon.
You seem to be selectively quoting bits and pieces. The battery has been redesigned to begin with. The cells are now separated with a ceramic barrier to minimize thermal runaway. The batteries are now operated at a cooler temperature. The battery charging logic has been redesigned to charge at a lower rate that the original system. The battery monitoring system was changed to monitor each cell rather than the battery as a whole.

So, to characterize this redesign as you have is just not true.

Your logic on the venting is incorrect. The smoke is vented overboard by the differential pressure. The logic in the fire system is to stop the influx of air and not allow more air into the E/E compartment. Thus NO FUEL for the fire.

Your characterization about "weakening" the fuselage is just not true. The vent system is designed to not impact the structural integrity of the fuselage at all.

Enough of the scaremongering!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.