Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
N-class and above.
Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
Hotel room for the duration of the passengers stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Agent69
Thanks for the info.

I looked at Oryx, but the short term bookings only run from 9am to 9pm, and the full day rate is expensive (and makes a nonsense of taking an ex EU flight). Looks like 7hrs in the lounge, or a BA flight from AMS, with the option to UUA to F on the outbound leg.
Can you get the same fare with a longer stop in Doha? Personally, I enjoy having a long stop, and Doha is a fine place to spend a day.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
Can you get the same fare with a longer stop in Doha? Personally, I enjoy having a long stop, and Doha is a fine place to spend a day.
Yes, the price is about the same with a few days stopover, but I will have the same problem on the way back.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:24 am

wanted to see if the first sector of the flight is a QR coded flight but op by BA and then the next sector is QR/QR am eligible for the hotel and meals in stopover. (21 hours in transit)?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by londonexpert
wanted to see if the first sector of the flight is a QR coded flight but op by BA and then the next sector is QR/QR am eligible for the hotel and meals in stopover. (21 hours in transit)?
That would mean a flight from LHR.. of which there are quite a few per day so I would have thought impossible to be eligible for STPC anyway?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:34 am

Yes its lhr. Even the QR flights will have a 19 hour transit minimum. Its the next sector ex DOH that causes the long transit because it is not operated daily So just wondered whether is a QR coded flight eligible?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:06 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
No - because you could have got a later flight from LHR with a shorter connection in Doha. Have a look at the +Qatar offer though where you can pay 23 USD for a room (no meals vouchers or transfers though).
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by purple1addict
No - because you could have got a later flight from LHR with a shorter connection in Doha. Have a look at the +Qatar offer though where you can pay 23 USD for a room (no meals vouchers or transfers though).
if you read what I said. Even if I take the later flight the connection is still 19 hours. Basically the destination is not a daily service
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:45 am

Programs: AY+Plat

Even if I take the later flight the connection is still 19 hours. Basically the destination is not a daily service
I don't understand this, am I missing something ? If I am not wrong, there are 5 or 6 QR flights LHR-DOH every day covering morning, afternoon and evening. Then how is it possible to have 19 hours minimum even if taken the most closer flight to the connection. Does not matter if the connecting destination service is once a day, once a week or once a month.
mpkz and Unionruler like this.

Last edited by lento; Jul 25, 2019 at 7:13 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

if you read what I said. Even if I take the later flight the connection is still 19 hours. Basically the destination is not a daily service
I'd imagine QR will expect you to minimise the transit time in the spirit of the conditions they attach to providing accommodation. For them, it will be hard to understand why you wish to leave London on a day which avoids an efficient to connection to the non-daily fight from Doha to your destination - unless you are gaming a 24H stay in Qatar.

I'm sure you have a pressing need to leave London on the date you have selected - and if QR pushes back on providing a hotel, I'd go for +Qatar, or simply book my own. Four-stars like the Holiday Inn start at around 50: the splendidly located Najada 90 or so
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: qr

SO BA123 (lhr -doh) leaves around 19.30hrs. That gets you to DOH next day at around 05:00 hrs. your connection time is approx 19hrs ( we don't know destination or flight other than its once a day) so that makes your departure of that flight around midnight of that day.
If you were to take QR 6 or QR 10 early in the morning ( from LHR ) of the date you are departing on BA that would get you to DOH around 18:00 or 19:00 on the same day ready to meet your connection around midnight with approx 5- 6 hours connection time but below time span for STPC. its irrelevant about what flights you are booked on it is calculated as per schedual and non availability of seats does not change that fact either. So as others have said ( if I have followed your plans correctly) you will not be eligible based on those facts of the scheme. As others have helpfully said you can see if you can book a very good hotel as part of the transit for a very reasonable price. I have done this and its excellent and nice to have the break.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+1 on otters Interpretation. A connection under 24 hours exists, whether it is by taking an earlier second flight or a later first flight (including on the next day) is not really relevant.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
If not planning on sleeping, is it worth checking into the hotel for a stopover of several hours, or is the lounge coupled with their 3 hour tour of Doha the way to go? Does it take a while to get to and check into the hotels and is the hotel anything special?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MarkP24
If not planning on sleeping, is it worth checking into the hotel for a stopover of several hours, or is the lounge coupled with their 3 hour tour of Doha the way to go? Does it take a while to get to and check into the hotels and is the hotel anything special?
well thats really a question of preference. If you prefer to have your own room to be able to relax quietly etc the hotel makes more sense, if you dont care or want to eat, drink, and visit, then lounge and/or tour are the logical choice.

as mentioned by many others the hotel is invariably the oryx rotana and transport to it is via a collective shuttle so you may wait a bit to get it, then drive is about 15-20 minutes and theyll insist to drive you back to the airport too early.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by MarkP24
If I were on a nine hour transfer and intent on finding my own room and shower, I'd want to maximise my down time.

In short I'd make my own arrangements to avoid the inevitable faff and waiting around at the airport, and the early trip back to the airport. The airport hotel might be eye-wateringly expensive, but there are very comfortable, reasonably priced hotels within 15/20 minute's drive of the airport.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by orbitmic
... the hotel is invariably the oryx rotana and ... theyll insist to drive you back to the airport too early.
Not in my experience. When I checked in, they told me when the shuttles leave, and just asked me to be in the lobby 10 minutes before scheduled departure.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.