Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC, VAV, QFF
This is as frustrating as it gets!
I am travelling on 1 Jan with a 7:59 stopover in J ( I) and do not qualify on the 8:00 rule or the +Qatar downtown free night program ( expires 31 Dec)

Any ideas ?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by Citoyen
I am travelling on 1 Jan with a 7:59 stopover in J ( I) and do not qualify on the 8:00 rule or the +Qatar downtown free night program ( expires 31 Dec)

Any ideas ?
You can pay for STPC, pay to use the in-airport hotel or just camp out in the lounge. The +Qatar program usually requires a layover longer than 8 hours anyway, even if it was running past 31 Dec.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Citoyen
With such a short layover, I'd probably get a room at the in-airport transit hotel, which is airside. It's expensive, though. If you were to book a hotel in town, there wouldn't be much time for sleep after taking taxi or Uber there, checking in, taking taxi or Uber back, and reclearing security.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
You can pay for STPC
Then it would be STPP
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:07 am

I have a Akl-Osl booked in J and have had a confirmation for a STPC in the Oryx Rotana. Since then the new policy with regards paying to go into the Al Safwa has come in. If I decide I’d rather spend the 8 hours in the Al Safwa over getting some sleep would I need to let QR know to cancel the STPC?
Old Jan 14, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Watsono
I have a Akl-Osl booked in J and have had a confirmation for a STPC in the Oryx Rotana. Since then the new policy with regards paying to go into the Al Safwa has come in. If I decide I’d rather spend the 8 hours in the Al Safwa over getting some sleep would I need to let QR know to cancel the STPC?
No, just don't pickup the voucher once you arrive in DOH. No need to cancel as there is nothing confirmed.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:04 am

No, just don't pickup the voucher once you arrive in DOH. No need to cancel as there is nothing confirmed.
Great thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:59 am

How about redemption tickets from Avios

Am I entitled to free stopover if I book the redemption tickets with Avios? Thanks all.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:11 am

No as it will price per sector.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by r_shum2
Am I entitled to free stopover if I book the redemption tickets with Avios? Thanks all.
No as it will price per sector.
The way Avios award tickets are priced has nothing to do with it. My understanding is that QR STPC is per ticket, and Avios award redemptions issue a ticket, but they issue a BA-plated ticket, while I believe QR STPC requires a QR-plated ticket.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
The way Avios award tickets are priced has nothing to do with it. My understanding is that QR STPC is per ticket, and Avios award redemptions issue a ticket, but they issue a BA-plated ticket, while I believe QR STPC requires a QR-plated ticket.
Oops, thought they were asking the question in the Avios redemptions thread
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:06 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm learning many things about QR and their policies today. I thought I would be eligible for STPC, as I have nearly 11 hours in DOH on my way between CHC and CPH.

However, as there is a flight leaving some 8 hours earlier than my outbound flight from CHC (08:00 rather than 16:00), even though my layover in DOH is the following day, I'm told that I'm not taking the shortest connection, so I am not eligible. I also guess I will fall foul of the Al Safwa paid access policy as my layover is more than 8 hours.

Seems really odd - it's a paid ticket in Business and, on the day in DOH there is no earlier connection - but it's based on shorter connections from the start of the journey, not from what's available on the day in DOH.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
but it's based on shorter connections from the start of the journey, not from what's available on the day in DOH.
Yes, that's been well-established in many previous posts. It's unfortunate, and I've been bitten by it too, but the good news is that you can book using the +Qatar program and buy a hotel at low cost. See the FT thread for it: +Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 7:35 am

Deleted

Last edited by mikewhyatt; Mar 28, 2019 at 7:44 am Reason: Question no longer valid
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Message deleted

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.