Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:03 pm

Hi.Just to confirm ,prior to the cessation of the programme , did award business class tickets have an entitlement as long as all the other rules were complied with?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by ozflier
Hi.Just to confirm ,prior to the cessation of the programme , did award business class tickets have an entitlement as long as all the other rules were complied with?
QRPC award or other airline award? If QRPC award, then yes, but you had to pay $150 fee according to wiki.
If booked through other airlines, then no.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by ozflier
Originally Posted by kkjay77
QRPC award or other airline award? If QRPC award, then yes, but you had to pay $150 fee according to wiki.
If booked through other airlines, then no.
If both flights are booked on separate tickets, it's a huge no.
I just wanted to write this as there are many people ( especially from the USA ) are combining AA issued awards ( up to Doha ) and cash tickets ( from Doha to their final destination ).
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:02 am

Complimentary STPC will be offered in ‘N’ class & above if the directional ticket value is above USD400 (including YQ). Passengers having directional tickets value less than USD400 will have the option to pay the relevant STPC charges (as per cabin of travel) and avail STPC accordingly.
Are all revenue business class tickets valid for free STPC or does the above statement exclude business class tickets booked in R-class?
Old Aug 13, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pejo007
Are all revenue business class tickets valid for free STPC or does the above statement exclude business class tickets booked in R-class?
Firstly, the STPC programme is currently suspended. In addition, the R fares were bought in after the programme was suspended so no one will have tested this yet... I imagine when/if the programme comes back they'll need to update that text.

Last edited by Schwann; Aug 14, 2021 at 1:37 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 13, 2021, 2:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Schwann
Firstly, the STPC programme is currently suspended. In addition, the R fares were bought in after the programme was suspended so no one will have tested this yet... I imagine when/if the programme comes back they'll need to update that text.
Just to be factually correct, the R fare class existed prior to COVID and was valid for STPC. But Schwann is right, STPC has not been running since R was devalued so no one knows. But if you were to take your cue from the fact that the lower fare buckets in economy are not valid for STPC, it might be a valid assumption for the now devalued R business fare to be excluded from STPC. Only time will tell.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by plunet
Just to be factually correct, the R fare class existed prior to COVID and was valid for STPC. But Schwann is right, STPC has not been running since R was devalued so no one knows. But if you were to take your cue from the fact that the lower fare buckets in economy are not valid for STPC, it might be a valid assumption for the now devalued R business fare to be excluded from STPC. Only time will tell.
My apologies, you are right. I was getting confused with the R devaluation.

I remember the uproar when R was introduced and everyone thought it wouldn't earn anything on BAEC.
plunet likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 3:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Bump

With Qatar now open without quarantine to vaccinated visitors (https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...cinated-brits/), does that mean STPC will be back soon?

It's much more important these days - with fewer frequencies, long layovers are unavoidable in many cases... Otherwise it'll be 8.5 hours in the Al Mourjan for me next month...
Old Mar 16, 2022, 7:47 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Is the policy to not allow STPC if you continue on from Doha to Dubai? Seems a bit odd.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by lrbenko
Is the policy to not allow STPC if you continue on from Doha to Dubai? Seems a bit odd.
Under the former STPC policy you had to have a transit time of more than 8 hours to qualify, and have not forced an extended layover into your schedule, ie. a shorter transit to your destination is available but you chose to extend it based upon the choice of flights. On the basis that Dubai used to have a very regular shuttle service from Doha then I suggest it would have been impossible pre-pandemic to have an optimum transit connection that was more than 8 hours.

Note that STPC is still currently suspended.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:58 am

Hotels in Doha are so cheap that paying the going rate for a decent hotel yourself really isn't that expensive.
lrbenko likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by Schwann
Hotels in Doha are so cheap that paying the going rate for a decent hotel yourself really isn't that expensive.
or booking the Qatar Stopover option (which MUST be done during booking now per emailing them) where there are $14/night hotels
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:52 am

Qatar Airways canceled my flight and booked another later on. I now have 8 hours and 10 minutes in Doha. Since I'm flying Business, can I demand Oryx Airside or do Qatar Airways ship you out of the airport?
My speculations that STPC is back soon.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Turnpike
Qatar Airways canceled my flight and booked another later on. I now have 8 hours and 10 minutes in Doha. Since I'm flying Business, can I demand Oryx Airside or do Qatar Airways ship you out of the airport?
AFAIK before the pandemic most people were sent to the Hyatt Regency Oryx Doha (formerly the Oryx Rotana). Since STPC isn't running at the moment you would just stay in the airport. I believe one of the old status business/first lounges were turned over to people in this situation if your ticket or status didn't entitle you to lounge access.

BTW being in business doesn't throw that much weight... you are one amongst thousands who pass through DOH each day in J.
DiamondMile and Turnpike like this.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 2:38 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Turnpike
Are there different flights with a shorter connection (e.g., a later flight into DOH or an earlier connecting flight out of DOH)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.