Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
I am slightly confused, is the free STPC hotel for an 8 hours transit or a 12 hour transit. They have just moved my return flight and I now have an 8.5 hours transit before my CWL flight. I thought I would just be eligible for qatar plus?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I am slightly confused, is the free STPC hotel for an 8 hours transit or a 12 hour transit. They have just moved my return flight and I now have an 8.5 hours transit before my CWL flight. I thought I would just be eligible for qatar plus?
Look at the WIKI. Fare class, segment value and other possible connections (not just off your inbound flight) all play into it.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by cliburn
I got the same.... been that way for a month.... now a week out from the trip.
Assume I find the hotel at the transit accomodation desk?
That's right - you'll only find out when you arrive at the desk.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 6:32 pm

It will more than likely be the Orxy Rotana.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:09 am

I had a flight QR58 QR818 two days ago. QR818 was cancelled one day prior to departure and I was put on QR816 with a 9h 15min connection.

I called them for a rebooking to another airline, which they denied but they said I would be entitled to a stay at the airport hotel if there is availability.

Upon arriving at DOH, I went to the transit desk and they booked me into the Oryx Rotana free of charge without any question asked. I asked about the airport hotel but they said its fully booked.

I was trying to understand if this is a general policy for flight bookings with over 8 hours connection (so I could put that into account for future bookings).

The wiki here says that the route needs to have a minimum shortest connection of 8 hours on that day, which was the case. However I was booked in class W and the whole return ticket cost was about 580 USD, both do not fulfill the criteria in the wiki.

So now I'm wondering why did they put me into the Hotel for free... Did this policy about the fare class and ticket value change? Or do they know I am entitled to it by EU261 in case of such a delay? Or could it just be because I called them and insisted on a rebooking and they tried to dissuade me by offering the airport Hotel for free and wrote something related in my ticket?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
How do they factor timing/hours when starting or ending in a city with multiple airports served by Qatar, like Tokyo, Istanbul, or London? Do they look at the airport or the city to calculate the minimum possible connection time. Thanks!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by tbd1579
How do they factor timing/hours when starting or ending in a city with multiple airports served by Qatar, like Tokyo, Istanbul, or London? Do they look at the airport or the city to calculate the minimum possible connection time. Thanks!
it’s based on the specific airports and the shortest connection that theoretically exist on a day between those.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 1:15 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by mucaari
I had a flight QR58 QR818 two days ago. QR818 was cancelled one day prior to departure and I was put on QR816 with a 9h 15min connection.

I called them for a rebooking to another airline, which they denied but they said I would be entitled to a stay at the airport hotel if there is availability.

Upon arriving at DOH, I went to the transit desk and they booked me into the Oryx Rotana free of charge without any question asked. I asked about the airport hotel but they said its fully booked.

I was trying to understand if this is a general policy for flight bookings with over 8 hours connection (so I could put that into account for future bookings).

The wiki here says that the route needs to have a minimum shortest connection of 8 hours on that day, which was the case. However I was booked in class W and the whole return ticket cost was about 580 USD, both do not fulfill the criteria in the wiki.

So now I'm wondering why did they put me into the Hotel for free... Did this policy about the fare class and ticket value change? Or do they know I am entitled to it by EU261 in case of such a delay? Or could it just be because I called them and insisted on a rebooking and they tried to dissuade me by offering the airport Hotel for free and wrote something related in my ticket?
IMHO it’s only due to your initial flight cancelation, in which case the cost payed for the ticket doesn’t matter.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
From the Wiki

•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.

Has anyone had some recent experience of this and was the STPC free of charge?

I’m looking at alternative destinations if I go the voucher route. I was looking at Male. There are 2 flights from MLE to DOH and each has a connection time greater than 8 hours for a flight to LAX. The longer connection is cheaper and gives more sleeping time in Doha and the wiki reports that both connections should qualify, but there is that statement at the end that this may no longer be correct?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:20 am
Company Representative, Qatar Airways

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
From the Wiki

I’m looking at alternative destinations if I go the voucher route. I was looking at Male. There are 2 flights from MLE to DOH and each has a connection time greater than 8 hours for a flight to LAX. The longer connection is cheaper and gives more sleeping time in Doha and the wiki reports that both connections should qualify, but there is that statement at the end that this may no longer be correct?
Please check our website for more information relating to STPC. (stop over for the purpose of connection).
https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...el-Information
Old Oct 15, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
From the Wiki

Did you have any answer on this in the end or is there anyone able to confirm if my next set of onward flight options to final destenation from Doha both have a transit time above 8hrs but less than 24hrs, can i choose either one and still get STPC even though there is a shorter transit time but still falls into STPC catergory.

Example: Flight 1 transit time is 10hrs and flight option 2 transit time is 20hrs, can i take the 20hr transit option and still get STPC?

Thanks.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Did you have any answer on this in the end or is there anyone able to confirm if my next set of onward flight options to final destenation from Doha both have a transit time above 8hrs but less than 24hrs, can i choose either one and still get STPC even though there is a shorter transit time but still falls into STPC catergory.

Example: Flight 1 transit time is 10hrs and flight option 2 transit time is 20hrs, can i take the 20hr transit option and still get STPC?

Thanks.
They are not currently offering the STPC option due to COVID - if they were I believe you would qualify.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Currently the Qatari borders are closed for everyone except Qatari citizens, their relatives, and people with employment/living permit over there so unfortunately, QR is not offering STPC at the moment.

However, in normal conditions, if there are a 10h and a 20h option, and if you choose the 20h one, STPC would apply.
Although, if there is an option less than 10h and you have purposefully booked a longer connection, no free STPC would be given. However, in this case you are welcome to book a discounted hotel during your transit on Discover Qatar.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Currently the Qatari borders are closed for everyone except Qatari citizens, their relatives, and people with employment/living permit over there so unfortunately, QR is not offering STPC at the moment.

However, in normal conditions, if there are a 10h and a 20h option, and if you choose the 20h one, STPC would apply.
Although, if there is an option less than 10h and you have purposefully booked a longer connection, no free STPC would be given. However, in this case you are welcome to book a discounted hotel during your transit on Discover Qatar.
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
They are not currently offering the STPC option due to COVID - if they were I believe you would qualify.
Thanks for the replies, I am aware the STPC is not available due to Covid rules etc.

I pushed back my CPT-DOH-SYD trip from November 2020 to May 2021, hoping by then the trip will be feesible. Outbound i will avail the STPC with the 20hr transit option, then inbound i have taken a 20hr stopover and will avail of the +Qatar stopover offer.

I feel quite uneasy that my destenation is Sydney so will revalute by December still under the travel with confidence waiver if i need to push it back further into the year of 2021.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Thanks for the replies, I am aware the STPC is not available due to Covid rules etc.

I pushed back my CPT-DOH-SYD trip from November 2020 to May 2021, hoping by then the trip will be feesible. Outbound i will avail the STPC with the 20hr transit option, then inbound i have taken a 20hr stopover and will avail of the +Qatar stopover offer.

I feel quite uneasy that my destenation is Sydney so will revalute by December still under the travel with confidence waiver if i need to push it back further into the year of 2021.
By the way, if the STPC program is not running by then, you could always ask the hotline to rebook you on the shorter connection if there is the same booking class ( RBD ) available at that time according to the Book with Confidence policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.