Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
N-class and above.
Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
Hotel room for the duration of the passengers stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old May 6, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi
I have a connection in DOH ,more than 8 hours .
however is a combination Royal Air Maroc and QR.
do I qualify for STPC .
Business class ticket
thanks
Old May 7, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by john1987
Hi
I have a connection in DOH ,more than 8 hours .
however is a combination Royal Air Maroc and QR.
do I qualify for STPC .
Business class ticket
thanks
some things that the forum probably needs to know to assist:
  • Separate tickets, or one PNR?
  • Which carrier issued the ticket (what are the first three digits of e-ticket number?)
  • are the flights issued on codeshare flight numbers?
Old May 8, 2019, 2:04 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, AF Platinum,TK and A3 Gold
Hi
One PNR
Stock RAM-147
QR flight number from Doha
thanks
Old May 8, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: QRPC Plat; Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold
Based on your ticketing it is not eligible. Tickets needs to be issued by QR starting with 157
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:29 pm

What hotels are QR allocating these days for Y pax.

I have a confirmation for 15JULY and only states 'The hotel name will be provided to you on arrival in Doha'

Thanks
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:12 am
R2

Can I get free STPC if my ticket is not on QR ticket stock but IB in this case? Flights to and from DOH are QR code and QR metal. Thanks.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Delete
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by R2
Can I get free STPC if my ticket is not on QR ticket stock but IB in this case? Flights to and from DOH are QR code and QR metal. Thanks.
It's not explicit in the wiki above but I think it's assumed it has to be a QR issued ticket due to it needing to be a specific (QR) fare bucket or above. I suspect that you can't get it on an IB plated ticket.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by plunet
It's not explicit in the wiki above but I think it's assumed it has to be a QR issued ticket due to it needing to be a specific (QR) fare bucket or above. I suspect that you can't get it on an IB plated ticket.
There have been reports in the past of doing it on AA but even that has been clamped down on, believe it is QR issued tickets only.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by R2
With QR prime flights, it wouldn't hurt to contact QR (phone or Twitter) just to see if you might get lucky. After all, QR is the marketing carrier and getting paid for the flights, even if they didn't handle the transaction.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
With QR prime flights, it wouldn't hurt to contact QR (phone or Twitter) just to see if you might get lucky. After all, QR is the marketing carrier and getting paid for the flights, even if they didn't handle the transaction.
You might get lucky and I agree it's worth a try, but I do recall something being discussed that the e-ticket needs to be QR plated, ie. starting 157-
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am looking at a flight in J from OSL - CPT early next year, and need some assistance with STPC entitlement (or lack there of). The options are:
  • QR 176 / 1371 outbound has a 7hr stopover
  • QR 180 / 1369 outbound has a 9hr stopover
  • QR 1370 / 175 return has a 9hr stopover
Both the 9hr stopover flights have earlier connecting flights available, but at significantly higher prices.

So the question is: what are the options for a OWE passenger travelling in J? If I don't qualify for STPC what other options are there for finding somewhere to rest / sleep?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Agent69
I am looking at a flight in J from OSL - CPT early next year, and need some assistance with STPC entitlement (or lack there of). The options are:
Both the 9hr stopover flights have earlier connecting flights available, but at significantly higher prices.

So the question is: what are the options for a OWE passenger travelling in J? If I don't qualify for STPC what other options are there for finding somewhere to rest / sleep?
The lounge has some rest areas, otherwise go into town and book a hotel - they're not too badly priced.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Agent69

It doesn't seem that you will qualify for STPC. There is a different offer, the +Qatar program, that provides hotels for $23-28 per night for one to four nights, no food voucher or transit. However, it may require a 12-hour minimum, but if so this is not always enforced so may be worth a try. It also has not yet been extended into next year, but there's a good chance it will be. See the FT thread +Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free, and the official page: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...-stopover.html.

If I were you, I'd try to book a longer connection so as to have adequate time to exit the airport, travel to a hotel, check-in, get good sleep, have breakfast, get cleaned up, and get back to the airport and through security and formalities. There are many hotels in Doha, and usually rates are not bad. I would book a refundable/cancelable rate now, and if/when +Qatar is extended, switch to it. If you want to stay with a short connection, there is an airside transit hotel (Oryx) that is pricey but super convenient. They also have a 25-meter lap pool and gym.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
It doesn't seem that you will qualify for STPC. There is a different offer, the +Qatar program, that provides hotels for $23-28 per night for one to four nights, no food voucher or transit. However, it may require a 12-hour minimum, but if so this is not always enforced so may be worth a try. It also has not yet been extended into next year, but there's a good chance it will be. See the FT thread +Qatar - Doha Hotel stopovers no longer free, and the official page: https://www.qatarairways.com/en/offe...-stopover.html.

If I were you, I'd try to book a longer connection so as to have adequate time to exit the airport, travel to a hotel, check-in, get good sleep, have breakfast, get cleaned up, and get back to the airport and through security and formalities. There are many hotels in Doha, and usually rates are not bad. I would book a refundable/cancelable rate now, and if/when +Qatar is extended, switch to it. If you want to stay with a short connection, there is an airside transit hotel (Oryx) that is pricey but super convenient. They also have a 25-meter lap pool and gym.
Thanks for the info.

I looked at Oryx, but the short term bookings only run from 9am to 9pm, and the full day rate is expensive (and makes a nonsense of taking an ex EU flight). Looks like 7hrs in the lounge, or a BA flight from AMS, with the option to UUA to F on the outbound leg.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.