Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Thanks for your help, will ask QR just to be sure. However I think it will be fine , am I correct in saying that any revenue based QR ticket in J is eligible for STPC, or is I at least eligible ?
Originally Posted by remdk
Flame3601 I recommend that you look at the Wiki on this thread where the rules are clearly stated and explained.
On http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...tor_popup.page you can see the revenue ticket classes that earn Qmiles. Ticket classes that are not shown and non-revenue ticket classes such as free or reward tickets are not shown and do not qualify. If your ticket class is higher on the list than N you will qualify for STPC if all the other conditions are met.
The link provided by remdk simply takes you to the calculator page, where you can put in all the information and figure out for yourself what's eligible. The answer is straightforward; and I'm happy just to tell you and save you some effort.

To the extent that your question is whether or not I class fares qualify, "I" is a business class fare and "N" is an economy class fare. All business class fare categories are higher than all economy class fare categories. Therefore, I>N.

As remdk said, there are other conditions which must be met, so pay attention to them. They are enforced pretty strictly. However, on that one question you asked about fare class, 1) your fare must be N class or above, and 2) all business class fares are above all economy class fares, so, yes, -- if all other conditions are met, an I class fare should qualify.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Aug 11, 2017 at 5:43 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:53 am

rmdk thanks for the information. One more question. Are there any access to fresh air without leaving the transfer area?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:43 pm

jmj9905 not at the moment. However the plans for the F and G wing extension include an outdoor area airside.

Before they changed the ventilation system the smoking lounge in Al Mourjan probably had the freshest air in the airport! I kid you not!
Old Aug 12, 2017, 3:35 pm

rendk thanks again for your quick response. You have been a tremendous help in our planning our first qr j flight and first visit to the doh lounge.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:11 am

I'm flying business (I class) and have a 14 hours layover in DOH. There was a flight with a 4 hour layover, but it was only full fare flex so almost 3x the price. Does this mean that I can't get the STPC?

If that's the case, can I grab a shower in the Al Mourjan before heading into the city to explore? IE Is it possible to enter the lounge, then go back to landside?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:42 am

Frequent flyer 101 since there is a shorter connection in the J cabin even though in different ticket classes you do not qualify for STPC. With regard to Al Mourjan access then it is possible.
I suggest you look at the QR dashboard widget http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html and its links, especially http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...tions-doh.html for much more information and hints.
Frequent flyer 101 likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
Frequent flyer 101 since there is a shorter connection in the J cabin even though in different ticket classes you do not qualify for STPC. With regard to Al Mourjan access then it is possible.
I suggest you look at the QR dashboard widget http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html and its links, especially http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...tions-doh.html for much more information and hints.
Thanks very much, great thread. If business class on the earlier connecting flight happens to sell out, does this entitlement change? IE is it applied at time or booking or at time of travel?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:12 pm

Frequent flyer 101 I have not gone into those details myself but the Wiki does say: "QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.".
QR regularly check the STPC conditions to see if it still applies to your reservation. How frequently I do not know.
If you look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html you will have the available information.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: QR P; HH D; IHG SpAmb
Am i eligible for a STPC if
(a) i have a transit between 8 and 24 hours at DOH and
(b) there exists a shorter connection but this also has >8hr transit
The wiki seems ambiguous on this; thanks.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:21 pm

a9504477 provided you fulfill all the conditions for STPC then if there is no shorter connection of less than 8 hours but there is one of more than 8 hours you will qualify for STPC provided it is not over 24 hours transit time!
Old Aug 27, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
I'm guessing that I won't be able to get the STPC in either direction on my LAX-DOH-SIN-DOH-LAX, because,

Outbound:
QR740, LAX-DOH, 17 Oct
QR944, DOH-SIN, 19 Oct (QR942 departs at 8:10pm on 18 Oct)

Inbound:
QR943, SIN-DOH, 30 Oct
QR739, DOH-LAX, 31 Oct (QR945 departs at 2:05am on 31 Oct)
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Does anyone have a list of hotels Qatar uses for the complimentary 8+hrs STPC?

We have only ever flown in Business and have always been given the Rotana.

We have another trip coming up and were booked at the Melia but this has been cancelled and swapped to the Rotana again.

It would just be interesting.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by hotwingz
Any revenue ticket with a connecting time between 8 and 24 hrs and a directional ticket value of at least $400, which is the case for most tickets in J, but not for most Sake-fare tickets.
OK now I understand why my STPC is denied.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
Thank you everybody for the extremely valuable information within the QR forum.

I organised my STPC on the phone (the agent checked ALL the eligibility points), and I received email confirmation just over 24 hrs later. Like many others, I was booked at the Oryx Rotana Hotel.

Flights in question:

14/09 OSL-DOH (16:05)
15/09 DOH-AKL (03:01)

Thanks again!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis PC, Hertz PC
so I have a pho fare ticket with a 20 hour layover in Doha. I arrive at 0610 and fly out at 0220 the next day.

The directional value is about US$340. I get that this is below the US$400 threshold so a US$150 surcharge applies.

my question is: am I better off going for the +Qatar package then because it seems like the hotel there is free? Does the +Qatar package have a minimum directional value?

Is another point to consider check in times- if I go for the STPC the I will be able to get my room at 6 in the morning with no issue checking out close to 2am but if I go for +Qatar it functions more like a "regular" hotel booking in that I check in a 3pm and out by 12pm?

any advice is appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.