Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
No Transit hotel for 19 hour layover

Hi ladies and gents,

I just booked my business class ticket (Booked into 'I' bucket) and on the way there my layover is 6 hours so obviously don't need and won't get a hotel.

However, on the way back I fly JNB-DOH on the 20:35pm flight on the 30th of DEC (I am on safari and cannot make the 14:05pm flight) I then go from DOH - PHL at 01:25am on the 1st of Jan, so I end up with a 19 hour 25 min sit. I called and asked about the hotel but was told there was a shorter layover option. I asked what it was and it was and was told the flight that departed JNB at 14:05pm which I cannot make. So because of that I was told I am ineligible for the hotel as I did not have to have such a long layover. But there is no other flight from DOH to PHL once I land, so they can cover themselves with the free transit hotels from Origin too?
Old May 10, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by RyanG
Hi ladies and gents,

I just booked my business class ticket (Booked into 'I' bucket) and on the way there my layover is 6 hours so obviously don't need and won't get a hotel.

However, on the way back I fly JNB-DOH on the 20:35pm flight on the 30th of DEC (I am on safari and cannot make the 14:05pm flight) I then go from DOH - PHL at 01:25am on the 1st of Jan, so I end up with a 19 hour 25 min sit. I called and asked about the hotel but was told there was a shorter layover option. I asked what it was and it was and was told the flight that departed JNB at 14:05pm which I cannot make. So because of that I was told I am ineligible for the hotel as I did not have to have such a long layover. But there is no other flight from DOH to PHL once I land, so they can cover themselves with the free transit hotels from Origin too?
RyanG welcome to the QR forum.

QR have the rule that to qualify for STPC you need to take the shortest scheduled connection. You cannot do so and therefore you are unable to qualify for STPC. QRs reasoning is that you have the opportunity to take the earlier flight. That you cannot do so is in your hands not QRs.

I have been told, but this must be regarded as hearsay, that the original STPC was misused by many deliberately taking later connections in order to have a free hotel in Doha! You are suffering because of their misuse!
Old May 10, 2017, 2:16 pm

RyanG further to my reply you can take QR1364 on 31 December and still arrive home on the same flight DOH-PHL. This is a mere 1h 55m connection time!
Old May 10, 2017, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Smile Thank you!

Originally Posted by remdk
RyanG further to my reply you can take QR1364 on 31 December and still arrive home on the same flight DOH-PHL. This is a mere 1h 55m connection time!
Thanks for all the info! It is unfortunate that this doesn't fall under the stopover rules, I would actually like to spend some time in Doha and see the city, so I will just get my own hotel.
Old May 12, 2017, 3:44 pm

So from here I understand that booking class codes effect what you get? That was not mentioned on the website. If so, how could I upgrade from an O class trip to an N class so I get a free transit hotel?
Old May 12, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Amin Nausin
So from here I understand that booking class codes effect what you get? That was not mentioned on the website. If so, how could I upgrade from an O class trip to an N class so I get a free transit hotel?
Amin Nausin welcome to Flyertalk and especially to the QR forum.

On http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page it actually says
"Not all fares are eligible for this stopover service, please contact your local Qatar Airways office to confirm whether this service is available for your journey, charges may apply."

However the STPC rules have changed since that page was last updated and the most accurate description of the rules is given in the Wiki on this thread.

So to qualify for STPC you need to fulfill all the rules.
The rule that most fail is the shorter connecting flights rule since it is for a shorter scheduled flight with the same CABIN class. This could be an earlier connection or a later incoming flight even the next daý! It does not matter if your ticket class is sold out or not. In many cases you would qualify for paid STPC if the CABIN class is completely sold out on the shortest connection.

But you need to qualify on ALL conditions as laid out in the Wiki!

To change booking class of your reservation you will need to read the fare rules attachment to your original booking confirmation. They must be the fare rules for your booking because fare rules change from origin to origin, ticket class to ticket class and for many of the less expensive tickets from sale offer to sale offer.

It could be that changes, refunds etc are not permitted or are permitted but require large change fees. And your ticket will be repriced to the new ticket class at the fare valid for the day of travel. This could be very expensive! You also need to consider when to make the changes, if permitted. As per the fare rules it is usually much less expensive to do so after the first flight of a reservation. If you still wish to do so then contact your local reservations office.
Old May 14, 2017, 11:11 am

Does the shortest connecting flight count for the time the plane leaves airport A to go to Doha and arrives at doha in conjunction to the time another plane leaves doha to get to airport b? or is it just earliest arrival and departure possible at doha?
Old May 14, 2017, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Amin Nausin
Does the shortest connecting flight count for the time the plane leaves airport A to go to Doha and arrives at doha in conjunction to the time another plane leaves doha to get to airport b? or is it just earliest arrival and departure possible at doha?
Amin Nausin the shortest connection time is the combination of flights that gives the shortest time connection time in DOH. This is calculated as the shortest time between any pair of flight combinations. In other words what is the latest arrival to connect with the earliest departure of a connecting flight.

If from a to DOH there are two daily flights (a1 and a2) and from DOH to b there are two daily flights (b1 and b2). Then which combination of flights a1b1, a1b2, a2b1 or a2b2 gives the shortest connection in DOH?
Any combinations below the Minimum Connection Time (MCT) of 45 minutes are ignored.
In some instances the shortest connection is actually the next day as illustrated by my answers to RyanG immediately prior to your posts on this thread.

Those are the basic rules but they can become even more complicated to understand if all flights are not daily or their timings differ from day to day.

Please remember these are scheduled times that are used not availability of your ticket class on any flight. Thus if a cabin class has your cabin class it counts even if there are no seats in your ticket class.

Last edited by remdk; May 14, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old May 14, 2017, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Please remember these are scheduled times that are used not availability of your ticket class on any flight. Thus if a cabin class has your cabin class it counts even if there are no seats in your ticket class.
This is the key, remdk, and the part I think that most people miss. It's the shortest theoretical connection (adhering to MCT, of course). QR takes the position that the fact that the shortest connection connecting flight may be sold out is irrelevant. One could have booked earlier, before it was sold out.

And I actually agree with QR's approach. I'm certainly someone who would schedule a long connection for a free stopover if given that option. QR wants to take care of the pax who are connection victims, but not just give away hotel rooms arbitrarily.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
Flying ARN-DOH-KBV on October 13 in J. Called today to reserve my hotel and was processed with no problems. There IS a later flight from ARN-DOH but it still creates a 14 hour stopover (Mine is 19 hours) since there is only one flight to KBV. Agent confirmed a 5 star hotel but which one it is will be confirmed when I receive the email after 72 hours. All in all a painless process. ^
Old Jun 2, 2017, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by MCI777
Flying ARN-DOH-KBV on October 13 in J. Called today to reserve my hotel and was processed with no problems. There IS a later flight from ARN-DOH but it still creates a 14 hour stopover (Mine is 19 hours) since there is only one flight to KBV. Agent confirmed a 5 star hotel but which one it is will be confirmed when I receive the email after 72 hours. All in all a painless process. ^
MCI777 thank you for your feedback. A few months ago there were reports that QR had stopped STPC for later connections to the same onward flight where all connections were more than 8 hours transit time. I am pleased to see that that stupid decision has now been rescinded.

Someone somewhere in QR it trying to be user friendly!!
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
MCI777 thank you for your feedback. A few months ago there were reports that QR had stopped STPC for later connections to the same onward flight where all connections were more than 8 hours transit time. I am pleased to see that that stupid decision has now been rescinded.

Someone somewhere in QR it trying to be user friendly!!
The agent gave every indication that it would be honored but I haven't received my email yet so we shall see.

EDIT: Everything came through just fine. I am booked at the Oryx Rotana. Any idea how much the meal voucher might be on a 19 hour layover?

Last edited by MCI777; Jun 4, 2017 at 8:14 am
Old Jun 4, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by MCI777
I am booked at the Oryx Rotana. Any idea how much the meal voucher might be on a 19 hour layover?
175 QAR was what I got in March 2017 for a 15 hour stop.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: A3 *G, BAEC Gold
Got a STPC confirmation from QR as the lay over was 8h25mins and also the shortest one. However the flight times of the CPT-DOH flight has changed resulting in a shorter connection of 7h50mins. Will there be a risk that they refuse the STPC when I arrive at the transfer desk as the connection is now 10mins short of 8hrs?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:36 am

BelgianTraveller yes I am afraid that since your transit is no longer eight or more hours STPC should be cancelled. However that said it could happen that QR waive that rule due to the circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.