Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

•Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
•An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
•For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
•In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
•No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
•N-class and above.
•Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
•When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
•When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
•When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
•USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
•USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
•If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
•If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
•Hotel room for the duration of the passenger’s stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
•Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
•Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
•Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
•Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
•Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
•QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
•QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
•QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by :D!
I'm also looking at this itinerary. I see there is another option for flight QR163 which gives a 17 hour layover. Can I get the STPC with this since the shortest option is still qualifying?

The 10 hour layover (arr 2200 dep 0800) basically means just going to a hotel and back to the airport.

The longer layover (arr 2200 dep 1500) would give me about 4 hours in the morning to have a look around Doha. If QR wouldn't pay for my hotel, is spending 4 hours around Doha worth paying for one myself (I could use 20000 IHG points for the Holiday Inn, or some points for the Hilton)? I ordinarily wouldn't be willing to pay the visa fee to enter Qatar, but I just learned about the free transit visa so thought it might be worth a go
I've built a stopover of ~40h on the outbound, so I wasn't concerned with being able to visit the city on the STPC on the way back, sorry.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 1:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by klausa
I've built a stopover of ~40h on the outbound, so I wasn't concerned with being able to visit the city on the STPC on the way back, sorry.
I see

So my next question is: do you (or anyone else) know if you use STPC on the outbound, will you still be eligible for the free 96h transit visa on the inbound?

I mean if you have applied for and received the free transit visa, then when you try to enter Qatar on the outbound using STPC, the immigration officer will see that you have the free transit visa already, so he might use that. Then on the inbound you may be forced to pay for the visa on arrival if you want to enter again?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:27 am

! this is one of the unanswered questions. The STPC visa and the City Bus tour visa are supposed to be free transit visas. If they are the same as the 96 hour free transit visa or not has yet to be answered.

If they are the same then you will have to choose between an outbound STPC visa and an inbound 96 hour visa.

By the way you can only get STPC once for a reservation according to the latest rule changes. Either outbound or inbound not both!
Old Feb 13, 2017, 2:48 am

Isn't the visa fee like 100/150 QAR anyway? I don't particularly mind paying that once anyway.

I mean, sure, I'd rather not pay it, but the cost is somewhat insignificant compared to the cost of the overall trip that I don't feel like this is worth researching.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: AFKL PLT, BA Gold, SK Gold, AY Gold, A3 Silver, LH FTL, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by remdk

By the way you can only get STPC once for a reservation according to the latest rule changes. Either outbound or inbound not both!
I got STPC for both outbound and inbound flights, no questions asked?! That's why I was bit confused when the agent confirmed it for me, but I have now received two hotel vouchers.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:09 am

Question about STPC:

I have a flight that departs 7 PM, with connecting flight 22 hours.
There is an earlier departure flight at 2 PM, but only gives me a 45 minute
connection time, which seems nearly impossible as we always park at a
remote stand.

Will QR give a stopover if I book the long layover flight?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:26 am

Gino Troian if there is a shorter connection then you will not get STPC.
The 45 minute connection is 'legal' and can be done without rushing. The keyword is preperation!

Look at the Wiki on the dashboard widget http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...h-airport.html this together with it links gives you a great deal of advice and hints. Of particular help will be the link to the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...0-minutes.html.

If your flight is late arriving then there should be QR staff at the aircraft to assist you.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:26 am

My Flight is this
22 April 19:00 CRK - 23:30 DOH booked in BUSINESS(R)
Stopover : 15h 30 m
23 April 15:00 DOH - 17:35 HBE booked in FIRST(A)

I call with the hotline and they say the transit hotel is not free i must pay 125 USD?

Why i think is free when the stopover is more as 8 Hourse and the second Fly is not going earlier
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:44 am

Board00 welcome to the QR forum.

According to https://booking.qatarairways.com/nsp...bleIndex.xhtml there is an earlier flight DOH-HBE that day (QR1315 at 07.10) which has a 7.40 transfer time. Therefore you do not qualify for free STPC.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by remdk
Board00 welcome to the QR forum.

According to https://booking.qatarairways.com/nsp...bleIndex.xhtml there is an earlier flight DOH-HBE that day (QR1315 at 07.10) which has a 7.40 transfer time. Therefore you do not qualify for free STPC.
Sorry i fly back on 25 April
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:00 pm

Board00 what exactly do you mean by 'i fly back' do you mean that you actually fly CRK-DOH-HBE on 25 April or that your return journey HBE-DOH-CRK is the 25 April?
If the first then the flights are exactly the same as the 22 nd April so you still do not qualify for STPC.
If the second then it has nothing to do with your outward journey with regard to STPC. You still do not qualify for STPC.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:35 am

I fly from CRK-HBE on 25 April I mean.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:24 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
A few questions:

1) I have never had to book the STPC in advance, always just showed up at the desk at the airport and been given the STPC. Has this changed? The link to the STPC page on QR's website says if booked within 72 hours you can just show up at the STPC desk.

2) I have an upcoming ALG-FCO flight that was booked at very low cost, all in J (I class). There was a schedule change and now my outbound has an over 8-hour connection at DOH with no earlier flights. I don't know when this "directional ticket value" rule came out, but if my ticket was booked prior to it coming out, and a schedule changed caused an 8+ hour layover, what are reasonably my options? Has anybody has success in having a rule waived when the ticket was purchased before the rule coming into play, or with an involuntary schedule change causing an unwanted long layover?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by whimike
A few questions:

1) I have never had to book the STPC in advance, always just showed up at the desk at the airport and been given the STPC. Has this changed? The link to the STPC page on QR's website says if booked within 72 hours you can just show up at the STPC desk.

2) I have an upcoming ALG-FCO flight that was booked at very low cost, all in J (I class). There was a schedule change and now my outbound has an over 8-hour connection at DOH with no earlier flights. I don't know when this "directional ticket value" rule came out, but if my ticket was booked prior to it coming out, and a schedule changed caused an 8+ hour layover, what are reasonably my options? Has anybody has success in having a rule waived when the ticket was purchased before the rule coming into play, or with an involuntary schedule change causing an unwanted long layover?
whimike You are supposed to confirm that you will use STPC. You have been lucky that it was not cancelled due to lack of confirmation,

If you booked your flights prior to the rule changes last May(?) then you are not bound by them but the ones that are valid at the time of your booking.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by whimike
A few questions:

on your last question, qr explicitly state they don't wave the rule when an invol schedule change make your connection drop below 8 hours and you'll lose the transit accommodation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.