Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
N-class and above.
Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
Hotel room for the duration of the passengers stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
good to know the rooms are only good for six hours.
Somewhat understandable, given QRs transit accommodation program program which entails a complimentary hotel for connections longer than eight hours. I believe that all F fares are eligible for this.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Somewhat understandable, given QRs transit accommodation program program which entails a complimentary hotel for connections longer than eight hours. I believe that all F fares are eligible for this.
I think that would be only if the long connection is forced, with the passenger booked on the first legal connecting flight to the destination regardless of fare class availability, etc.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think that would be only if the long connection is forced, with the passenger booked on the first legal connecting flight to the destination regardless of fare class availability, etc.
Correct. In fact, if there is an earlier connecting flight but with no availability, you don't qualify for the room.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect to the QR forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bhomburg
As this was an ex-CAI flight there is a chance with some of the heavy discounts out of CAI that there might not have been enough revenue on the ticket to qualify for STPC and flying to BKK there was probably a shorter connection available. The thread that describes the STPC policy in detail is here
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:30 am

bhomburg one of the conditions for free accommodation (STPC) is that certain booking classes are excluded. These are the lowest Y booking classes and sometimes, depending upon the promotion rules, the R (promo) class in J. Also reward tickets for any cabin class are not eligible.
That means that all ticketing classes in F are eligible for consideration for STPC. The other rules have also to be met as well.
A more detailed and hopefully explanation can be found in the Wiki on http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...l#post27806411

MSPeconomist another condition that has to be met is that there is no shorter connection! this could be a later flight from origin or an earlier flight to destination. Or even taking earlier, or later, flights both from origin and to destination.

LondonElite if your ticket class is sold out on a shorter connection then you do not qualify for STPC. However somewhere deep within the QR rules there is a clause that if a cabin is sold out, not just the ticket class, then STPC may be granted if both connections are over 8 hours. There was an example of this on the STPC thread (link above) some months ago.

I am going to request the moderators to move this thread to the STPC thread.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by remdk
MSPeconomist another condition that has to be met is that there is no shorter connection! this could be a later flight from origin or an earlier flight to destination. Or even taking earlier, or later, flights both from origin and to destination.
Indeed.
My evening A380 BKK-DOH departure, with earliest available connection to CAI the morning after (+8 hrs) did not qualify, because there is a 8:35 am BKK-DOH A380 flight with a subsequent connection to CAI around 2 hrs later.

Bummer, since we're 2 adults and 2 kids, but self funded hotel airport will be.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, EY Silver, AF/KL Silver
one of the conditions for free accommodation (STPC) is that certain booking classes are excluded. These are the lowest Y booking classes and sometimes, depending upon the promotion rules, the R (promo) class in J.
My bolding. Has anyone encountered this?

I have an upcoming booking in R for March that was made back in Sept 2016 and have yet to arrange the STPC. I'm concerned that QR could still deny it even if all other criteria are met.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:24 am

darkside1957 I am afraid that I cannot give you an answer since I do not know which promotion that you used. There are some few promotions that specifically exclude STPC in the promotion rules. It is those few that I am talking about. My impression is that it usually only applies to the very cheapest of cheap fares in which case the Directional ticket value as described in the Wiki may also come into play.

It should be stated somewhere in the e-mail confirmations you received on booking.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 9:49 am

darkside1957 I am afraid that I cannot give you an answer since I do not know which promotion that you used. There are some few promotions that specifically exclude STPC in the promotion rules. It is those few that I am talking about. My impression is that it usually only applies to the very cheapest of cheap fares in which case the Directional ticket value as described in the Wiki may also come into play.

It should be stated somewhere in the e-mail confirmations you received on booking.
Thanks remdk

This is all that I can find on the confirmation email from QR

Purchase conditions
For more information on baggage rules and restrictions on Qatar Airways flights, please click here .
When you make a reservation on a flight to/from the U.S. one week or more prior to your flight departure through our website at www.qatarairways.com , the following is applicable:
a. Flights departing from the U.S : We allow you to hold the reservation for 24 hours without payment.
b. Flight to the U.S : You can receive a full refund within 24 hours of ticket purchase.
Should you wish to change your booking, and the originally purchased fare or booking class is not available for your new flights, difference of fare will be collected on top of the change fee if the rule permits changes.
If you have a stopover in Doha, please click here for more information.
An additional administrative fee for rebooking/cancellation may apply.
When a ticket is booked with a combination of fares, the most restrictive cancellation rule will apply.
Fares are not guaranteed until full payment is received and tickets are issued.
Where applicable, local airport taxes will be collected at time of check-in.
Additional card transaction fees may apply and is dependent on the card issuer.
You should carry a copy of this booking confirmation while you travel as it may be required for immigration purposes.
Remember to check your immigration and health requirements before you travel and ensure you carry the required travel documents.
We accept all major credit and debit cards, subject to local regulations. Please note Qatar Airways may require you to submit additional payment information online to verify the identity of the card holder.
For Qatar Airways Terms & Conditions, click here

By clicking the link referred to for stopover in Doha it takes me to the standard transit accommodation page http://www.qatarairways.com/qa/en/tr...mmodation.page so hopefully my trip would not barred from STPC. Guess the only way to know for sure is to see what QR say

BTW paid GBP965 pp round trip for ARN-HKT-HEL so it should pass the Directional ticket value test!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 10:09 am

darkside1957 It will most likely be in the "FareRules.html" which was attached to the E-mail. If it says nothing there then you should be OK. But do contact QR and ask and get the 'paperwork' done.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:23 am

darkside1957 It will most likely be in the "FareRules.html" which was attached to the E-mail. If it says nothing there then you should be OK. But do contact QR and ask and get the 'paperwork' done.
Thanks once again

I hadn't noticed that the fare rules were in an attachment to the email. Having checked them now there is no mention of STPC being excluded so hopefully I'll be good to go!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: free agent
Before giving QR a call, I want to check with you guys first. My friend and I will do BKK-DOH-LAX trip, and we'll have 8+ hour layover in Doha but probably will not qualify for STPC because we will take 1930-2255 BKK-DOH then 0800 flight to LAX next day.

We'll unable to get STPC, due to another QR flight leaving from BKK few hours after 1930 departure? That's how I see the rules, but would love to be wrong
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:53 pm

washeelers747 I am afraid that you are perfectly correct. There another flight with a much shorter connection time (less than 8 hours) so you do not qualify for STPC.
There are a number of places that you might be able to get your head down for a few hours but you do not give enough details, cabin classes, to say which are available to you. If you lookmaround the forum you can find some of them mentioned.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Hi everyone:

I called last week to arrange my STPC. The agent on the phone said to expect an email from them within 48-72 hours. It is now more than 72 hours and no email yet. Should I call again? Is this typical? It seemed like the STPC was not a problem based on the phone call (it is certainly a long enough layover), but all this discussion here has me worried! Anyone have recent experience with this?

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.