Old Nov 29, 2014, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Matt4
Qatar Airways Stopover Package (STPC)

Note : STPC has not been available since COVID started and won't probably be available before the end of the year 2022 due to the World Cup. But you can book a StopOver hotel for a discounted price with Discover Qatar (starting at $14 for 4* and $20 for 5*) until 24th October 2022 (no later, again due to the Wolrd Cup)

Passengers with a transit time of between 8 and 24 hours are eligible for a stopover package (STPC) in Doha, offered by Qatar Airways.
An STPC request can be made as early as 361 days in advance, but no later than 72 hours prior to departure. The STPC is either offered complimentary or bookable at a fee.
For group bookings, different rules apply.

I. STPC free of charge
In cases where there are no immediate connections available between 8 and 24 hours.
No exceptions can be given (7 hrs 59 minutes = not eligible, 24 hrs 1 minute = not eligible).
N-class and above.
Directional ticket value above USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
Directional ticket value is the sum of the fare paid for the journey and the Fuel surcharge (as shown on your E-ticket) divided by two.

II. STPC against a fee
When the passenger holds a ticket in booking classes below N.
When the passenger holds a Privilege Club redemption ticket in Economy or Business Class.
When the directional ticket value is less than USD 400 (incl. YQ tax).
USD 125 fee for Economy Class passengers.
USD 150 fee for Business Class passengers.

III. STPC is not available if the booking includes flights to or from Abu Dhabi (AUH), Bahrain (BAH), Dubai (DWC), Dubai (DXB), Kuwait (KWI), Muscat (MCT), Ras Al Khaimah (RKT) and Sharjah (SHJ). .
If the passenger holds a temporary passport/travel document.
If the passenger holds separate tickets.

IV. STPC package includes
Hotel room for the duration of the passengers stay (5-star hotel for Business Class passengers / 3-star hotel for Economy Class passengers). If there is a change in the Flight Schedule and the new connection time in Doha becomes less than 8 hours then the existing hotel confirmation will become invalid.
Temporary entry visa fee to Doha, Qatar*.
Transfer HIA - hotel - HIA.
Meal voucher (depends on duration of the transit).

V. To book STPC
Update PNR with passport number and nationality (tickets need to be issued).
Contact Qatar Airways, providing credit card number including expire date and CVC code.

VI. Different scenarios for STPC
QR is operating an immediate connection with seats available in the desired cabin, but the passenger has booked a connection with transit time of 8-24 hours. STPC is not permitted either complimentary or against a fee.
QR is operating an immediate connection but no seats are available in the desired cabin. If the passenger has booked a ticket on the next available connection with a transit of between 8-24 hours, STPC against payment is permitted.
QR is not operating an immediate connection; all the connections have a transit time of between 8-24 hours. Passenger may choose any connection and receive STPC free of charge. There are reports that this may no longer be correct.
*Confirmation of your hotel at Doha does not guarantee entry into the State of Qatar. This is entirely at the discretion of the immigration authorities.

Website: http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...mmodation.page

Anecdote: a code-share DOH-CMN within the 8-hour window did not disqualify me from STPC. In other words it is only QR operated flights that are used for connection time calculations.

I have STPC- What do I need to Do?
This is covered in the wiki of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...t-do-i-do.html.

How does the new Free stopover affect STPC?
QR have just launched a new free stopover policy. See http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...ease_plusqatar, http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/plusqatar.page and http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...on-2017-1.html for details.
At the moment STPC sappears to be unaffected except for 'multi city' bookings. At this very early stage there is no clear practice as to who qualifies!

Updated 21-SEP-2022.
Print Wikipost

The QR STPC (stopover) policy?

Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:49 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

I know it has been answered (no non QR awards get STPC) but does anyone have evidence of a STPC on a U award being granted STPC at the transfer desk, or is it not worth my effort whatso ever?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:49 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I know it has been answered (no non QR awards get STPC) but does anyone have evidence of a STPC on a U award being granted STPC at the transfer desk, or is it not worth my effort whatso ever?
I have had a number of U class boarding cards that have been eligible for STPC. They have all been upgrades from economy! So they have been treated as economy tickets. So no Oryx Rotana hotel.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:09 pm
R2

Originally Posted by sturejan
I have had a number of U class boarding cards that have been eligible for STPC. They have all been upgrades from economy! So they have been treated as economy tickets. So no Oryx Rotana hotel.
I assume you mean U class ticket? Your boarding pass is either Economy or Business (or First) and the booking class is in your ticket.

To answer AMRivlin's question, I was there on an AY+ award ticket two weeks ago (QR flights, business class, booking class U) and had a 10 hour layover. I went to the transfer desk to request STPC. The agent checked on the computer and politely said I was not eligible because my ticket was an award ticket.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:13 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by R2
I assume you mean U class ticket? Your boarding pass is either Economy or Business (or First) and the booking class is in your ticket.

To answer AMRivlin's question, I was there on an AY+ award ticket two weeks ago (QR flights, business class, booking class U) and had a 10 hour layover. I went to the transfer desk to request STPC. The agent checked on the computer and politely said I was not eligible because my ticket was an award ticket.
Thanks. AA award, U class, Business. Guess I'll sleep in the J lounge. I meet all the criteria except ticket origin.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Hmm so then a AA award ticket in J on QR MLE-DOH-VCE with a 18hr conx should qualify for the hotel?
Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:39 pm

jason8612 AA award tickets DO NOT qualify for STPC either Complimentary or Paid. You can read this on the Wiki of this thread.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by MitzEclipse
At the end of the month, I'll be flying from CPH-DOH-BLR on Qatar Airways on business class. I have a 13 hour layover in DOH from 05.40 - 19.20. The contact centre in Qatar and the agent said the STPC is already assigned to me, free of charge.

Can anyone pls tell me which hotel(s) the business class travellers are assigned as part of the STPC? I'm trying to see the exact address I'll be at for planning a long run.

Also, are there any business class amenities to be aware of to take advantage of? eg lounge access at the hotel perhaps? Free breakfast? Spa treatments? thanks in advance!
You should've received an STPC form stating your hotel as you're booked in Business.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Traveled on a N fare CPT-DOH-ZAG last Friday with a 8 hr 10 min layover. Called QR two weeks prior to travel to confirm STPC, which was verbally confirmed and was told to check email for voucher. Called QR a week later to inquire about STPC status, again confirming eligibility and told to expect email voucher by 24 hours prior to departure.

On day of travel: No email from QR upon departure, so upon arrival in DOH, proceeded to transit desk and was told that I was ineligible. Agent was confused, called manager over, and after some fiddling, showed me a printout with the condition that the fare for the entire segment XXX-DOH-XXX had to be at least $400USD. After a bit of arguing (after having confirmed eligibility twice before the trip), the agent suggested that I make use of the utterly disgraceful (non-Al Mourjan) business lounge for the next 8 hours.

So, for those traveling in cheap, but seemingly eligible Y tickets, make sure the base fare for the segment is at least $400 USD.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by 9vska
Traveled on a N fare CPT-DOH-ZAG last Friday with a 8 hr 10 min layover. Called QR two weeks prior to travel to confirm STPC, which was verbally confirmed and was told to check email for voucher. Called QR a week later to inquire about STPC status, again confirming eligibility and told to expect email voucher by 24 hours prior to departure.

On day of travel: No email from QR upon departure, so upon arrival in DOH, proceeded to transit desk and was told that I was ineligible. Agent was confused, called manager over, and after some fiddling, showed me a printout with the condition that the fare for the entire segment XXX-DOH-XXX had to be at least $400USD. After a bit of arguing (after having confirmed eligibility twice before the trip), the agent suggested that I make use of the utterly disgraceful (non-Al Mourjan) business lounge for the next 8 hours.

So, for those traveling in cheap, but seemingly eligible Y tickets, make sure the base fare for the segment is at least $400 USD.
Strange.

Was this a one way ticket?
Was it in an eligible booking class? If yes, how come so cheap?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by boarding_pass
You should've received an STPC form stating your hotel as you're booked in Business.
Thanks - as mentioned I called Qatar Airways and they said I am indeed eligible for STPC. They confirmed over the phone but I didn't receive a form - where do I get this? Do I need this form ahead of time or can this just be retrieved somewhere online?
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Strange.

Was this a one way ticket?
Was it in an eligible booking class? If yes, how come so cheap?
I was on a $478 open jaw JFK-DOH-JNB/CPT-DOH-ZAG. Outbound JFK-DOH-JNB was booked in O (ineligible), but the inbound CPT-DOH-ZAG was booked in N (eligible). Base fare for that segment was $146.16.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
I was on a $478 open jaw JFK-DOH-JNB/CPT-DOH-ZAG. Outbound JFK-DOH-JNB was booked in O (ineligible), but the inbound CPT-DOH-ZAG was booked in N (eligible). Base fare for that segment was $146.16.
Very strange.
I recently flew AMM-DOH-JNB, JNB-DOH-LCA. The bade fare for all flights altogether was $370. No problem pre-ordering hotel voucher.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 6:53 pm

I have JFK DOH JNB and same problem with the outbound I'm booked into ineligible fare class however JNB DOH BCN books into eligible class but layover is less than 8 hours. Did you do the city tour? Or pay for the visa?
I haven't been able to find a reliable answer for the visa fee if the tour is full.

Old Mar 21, 2016, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88
I have JFK DOH JNB and same problem with the outbound I'm booked into ineligible fare class however JNB DOH BCN books into eligible class but layover is less than 8 hours. Did you do the city tour? Or pay for the visa?
I haven't been able to find a reliable answer for the visa fee if the tour is full.
No, the city tour was full by the time I arrived on QR702. Was told that the tour filled up by 4:30 (just 30 minutes after check-in opened) so get there as early as you can.

I paid the visa (100 QAR ~ $28 USD) and took a cab to Souq Waqif and walked around on my own for a few hours. The city tour does include the visa, though I think you get a different kind of entry permit valid only for one day with the group. But without the tour, you're responsible for paying your own visa fee.

Originally Posted by benberg2013
Very strange.
I recently flew AMM-DOH-JNB, JNB-DOH-LCA. The bade fare for all flights altogether was $370. No problem pre-ordering hotel voucher.
Hmm. Thanks for the info. I'll contact QR to see what they have to say.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 8:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. I was seeing anywhere from $28 to $100. We have a 9 hour layover from approx 5:30pm - 2:30 am. I went to the corniche in Abu Dhabi last year and was so glad I left the airport during my 13 hour layover. Would you say it's worth it to get out?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.