40 minute connection in Doha

Old Mar 4, 13, 11:01 am
wco
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
40 minute connection in Doha

Hi all-

I'm traveling in business on an award ticket, and a schedule change shortened my original connection time from an hour to 40 minutes. I'm scheduled to arrive in Doha from Dubai at 00:20 on QR115 and depart for Johannesburg at 1:00 ON QR584. With a 40 minute connection, I've got two questions:

1. Is 40 minutes enough time to connect? I've noticed recently that QR 115 has consistently arrived about 20 minutes late, so will I make it in 20 minutes?
2. Is standing by on one of the earlier DXB-DOH flights a viable option? My schedule is flexible, so I figured that getting to Doha earlier might be a good idea.

Having read through previous threads, I imagine that 40 minutes is do-able, but it also seems like there's little room for error. And I haven't been able to find anything about standing by.

Many thanks in advance!
Old Mar 4, 13, 12:03 pm

The minimum connection time is 45 min:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...time-doha.html

http://support.qatarairways.com/entr...necting-flight

There is no way a ticket can have a 40-min connection. If there was a schedule change after booking, your connection is now invalid and you should have been proactively rebooked. Call them and try to get on the earlier flight (no charge since it isn't your fault, but there may be no availability).

If you have booked separate tickets, well, that is your fault.
Old Mar 4, 13, 2:50 pm
wco
Original Poster

Thanks. Fortunately there's a Qatar Airways ticketing office in my building. I'll talk to them tomorrow.
Old Mar 7, 13, 10:26 am

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Gold, Hertz President's Circle
The main problem is that DOH was still using some bus gates (in Nov 2012). In addition, you may arrve at an arrival terminal to transfer, or the transfer terminal. Once in the right terminal, It's pretty easy getting to the gates within the terminal: it's not that large.

If the buses are delayed or slow, then you may run into problems.
Old Mar 7, 13, 8:27 pm

If they sold you a ticket with 40 min connection, they are responsible for it. I fly a lot through Doha, and never had any problem with short connections. They will delay flight for you, and most probably you will not be the only pax with short connection. This is very usual for QR.
Old Mar 13, 13, 7:55 am

my inbound flight was delayed and only 20minutes connection to JNB, in the end, everything works out fine and even reach JNB slightly ahead of time.

Qatar is good, no worries i think they have many ways to ensure that you or your luggage dont miss the connecting flight
Old Mar 13, 13, 10:49 am
wco
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tboons View Post
my inbound flight was delayed and only 20minutes connection to JNB, in the end, everything works out fine and even reach JNB slightly ahead of time.

Qatar is good, no worries i think they have many ways to ensure that you or your luggage dont miss the connecting flight
Thanks for the update! Makes me feel a lot better.
Old Jun 5, 13, 4:21 am

I am facing same scenario now with my ticket after a schedule change. Originally it was 1 hour transfer time but now after the schedule change, it shortens to 20 mins! The booking is still shown normal in my reservation with the new time (does NOT state that it is INVALID or ask to call). It is under one ticket, same airline, asiana, business class, transfer at ICN and I do not have check-in luggage. My concern is :

-Will they invalidate my booking upon check-in.
-The next flight out from ICN to final destination is the next morning. So I really want to keep my original flight (hence I didnt want to call for help) to avoid staying overnight in ICN. So, if i missed my flight and they re-book me to the next morning flight, will they provide accomodation for me since my ticket is in Biz?

I am guessing that IF I missed my connecting flight they will put me to the next available Star alliance airline flight which I dont like due to long transit time ( 7 hours !!! ).
Old Jun 5, 13, 8:03 am

Programs: QR platinum, HH diamond, Hyatt GP diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by markus_see View Post
I am facing same scenario now with my ticket after a schedule change. Originally it was 1 hour transfer time but now after the schedule change, it shortens to 20 mins! The booking is still shown normal in my reservation with the new time (does NOT state that it is INVALID or ask to call). It is under one ticket, same airline, asiana, business class, transfer at ICN and I do not have check-in luggage. My concern is :

-Will they invalidate my booking upon check-in.
-The next flight out from ICN to final destination is the next morning. So I really want to keep my original flight (hence I didnt want to call for help) to avoid staying overnight in ICN. So, if i missed my flight and they re-book me to the next morning flight, will they provide accomodation for me since my ticket is in Biz?

I am guessing that IF I missed my connecting flight they will put me to the next available Star alliance airline flight which I dont like due to long transit time ( 7 hours !!! ).
At least two things are not clear here. You talk about Asiana and about ICN. So, does this in any way relate to Qatar Airways (the forum you've posted in) or short connections at DOH (the topic of this particular thread)?

In general, you have better chance getting a well-informed answer over in the Asiana Club forum if that is what you're asking about.
Old Jun 10, 13, 1:48 am

I assume the OP has made the flight, did he make the connection.

I use DOH all the time, (with Qatar), and have never missed a connection...they are very proactive.

He is Business, so even easier, as Premium Termial, is a perfect option.

IF I have the chance I would always have 2 hours in DOH, the Premium terminal service is 5 star restaurant quality.

Now the new airport will be a new experience.

Ian
Old Jun 10, 13, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
It is important to bear in mind that although flights may be scheduled close together for commercial reasons the actual expected operating times could be very different.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: