Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Give credit when it is due

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Give credit when it is due

So most people on this forum probably have figured out I'm not the biggest fan of QR service outside of the actual flight. However, I must commend QR on excellent service from one of its ground staff.

I was denied boarding for a Sri Lanka flight because I did not have the credit card I used to purchase the ticket on my person. So I need to purchase another ticket so I could get to my destination but had to get back to the ticket counter in the departures hall of Doha Airport. Well this is no easy task in the Doha airport. The security would not allow me to walk back through to the ticket counters but told me I had to take a bus to the arrivals hall, clear immigration and then take a tack back to the departures hall!

Since I knew there was a QR flight departing a few hours after the Sri Lankan flight I found a QR agent and asked her if she could help me in purchasing a ticket. After explaining the situation she walked me over to the QR transfer counter in the departures hall and provided me the costs for the tickets. I hand her my passport and CC and she was able to walk back to the QR ticket counter process the tickets and walked back to the transfer counter to provide me my tickets. To top it off she upgraded me and my wife to J for the outgoing flight.

This is the first time I have experienced QR staff going beyond their normal duties. With some of the other positive reports trickling in I hope QR is starting to slowly turn a corner in their ground service. I think they still have to resolve issues with IT and other ground issues but what I experienced was a positive in the right direction.

BTW- I did receive J-class qpoints and qmiles for my free upgrade.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
I am a little lost here. where exactly were you denied boarding in Doha where you would have had to clear immigrations.

Were you in transit with two separate tickets? I get the c/c verification at the check in counter which is prior to going through immigration/passport control.

QR in the air is great. On the ground they are pretty good as well in my opinion.

They really suck when it comes to the technical side of the entire internet process and lack of response when it comes to getting resolutions to any of their IT glitches.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 1:32 am
Original Poster

I live in Doha so we it was our depature airport.

I printed my boarding pass and and went straight to security as we did not have any check bags, so we did not go to the check in counter. We went straight to the gate and that was when we were denied boarding.

In Doha airport you have to go through passport control before you are allowed to go through security and into the departure terminal. It is how then ensure no one leaves the country this is not allowed to.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2

I printed my boarding pass and and went straight to security as we did not have any check bags, so we did not go to the check in counter. We went straight to the gate and that was when we were denied boarding.
OK gotcha. I guess I am used to the way they do it in the US where all international travelers go to the airline counters so they can check your passport first.

I always have checked baggage so even here in the land of sand I head there first.

I dont really understand about the c/c verification anyway. I am required to go through the verified by visa process anyway. I asked at a subsequent QR check in if she wanted my visa card to verify it. The Qr clerk said there was no need because there was a note on my record that my card had been previously been verified.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I was denied boarding for a Sri Lanka flight because I did not have the credit card I used to purchase the ticket on my person.
Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
I dont really understand about the c/c verification anyway.
Expect it every time on UL.

I fly them pretty regularly, and was able to avoid it only once; but that involved my being very insistent (but politely and with a smile, it was at BKK), then being able to recite the card number from memory while the ticket agent and a manager checked it against her screen. Then I got AMEX on the phone. First AMEX had to ask me identity verification questions, then AMEX verified to the UL ticket agent that, in fact, the UL charge had already been paid by AMEX.

It wasn't worth the hassle; and I'm much more careful now to carry the credit card whenever I fly.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
I fly UL (and QR prior to the blockade through codeshares) multiple times a year between MAA and AUH and have never had that problem.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
OK gotcha. I guess I am used to the way they do it in the US where all international travelers go to the airline counters so they can check your passport first.
That’s not a thing at any US airport I’ve flown from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.