FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   What will happen to my QR flights scheduled with a 787? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1428413-what-will-happen-my-qr-flights-scheduled-787-a.html)

gill2610 Jan 16, 2013 3:05 am

What will happen to my QR flights scheduled with a 787?

I am definately not comfortable on flying on the 787 dreamliner.

Unfortunately I am booked on two Qatar787 dreamliner flights PER DOH LHR at the beginning of March, changed from my previous return date of the 27th January, just hope that I have done the right thing?

I am hoping that Qatar ground their 787's as have ANA and check them out thoroughly.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jan 16, 2013 3:42 am

Originally Posted by gill2610 (Post 20057196)
I am definately not comfortable on flying on the 787 dreamliner.

Unfortunately I am booked on two Qatar787 dreamliner flights PER DOH LHR at the beginning of March, changed from my previous return date of the 27th January, just hope that I have done the right thing?

I am hoping that Qatar ground their 787's as have ANA and check them out thoroughly.

I don't envy you. I just checked the QR website and there is no mention of the Japan groundings or the possibility for passengers to delay or change travel plans. While I might chance a Doha-London flight (on the chance there is an airport close by in the event of an emergency) - is trans-indian-ocean worth the worry? Maybe qrite to QR and see if they will give you a change/cancellation policy?

gill2610 Jan 16, 2013 5:17 am

As I have only just changed my flight, are Qatar likely to change my flight again FOC as I have just paid out £150 and I cant afford to do it again.

Because of all these incidents do Qatar have any legal right to change peoples flight if they request it? I really am very very worried.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jan 16, 2013 5:51 am

Originally Posted by gill2610 (Post 20057549)
As I have only just changed my flight, are Qatar likely to change my flight again FOC as I have just paid out £150 and I cant afford to do it again.

Because of all these incidents do Qatar have any legal right to change peoples flight if they request it? I really am very very worried.

I don't think there is a legal right. the contract is to transport you from A to B using their best endeavours and, of course, to meet all relevant safety standards. those safety standards are set and enforced by regulators, and I guess an airline is entitled to rely on the safety regulator. if the regulator doesn't ground the aircraft, then I guess Qatar is entitled to carry you as they planned.

on an ethical ground, on PR grounds... different story. I know ANA had an incident about 18 months or so ago. can't remember exactly what happened... something mid flight? anyway, there was a notice on their website the next day... anyone... and they meant anyone, with any ticket, at any time, was permitted to cancel their travel with ANA if they felt unsafe. to westerners, that seemed like great PR. they haven't as yet offered anything similar following today's events.

I think airlines should offer passengers a choice now. but that would have to be policy, and I don't think there is a legal basis for such a requirement.

gill2610 Jan 16, 2013 6:19 am

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked my return flight again on Qatar Airways site and they have now taken the Dreamliner off every flight that day apart from mine, but they have replaced it to the 777 for the PER -DOH section of my flight now but it is still on the DOH - LHR section.
I think this is even more worrying as they obviously think there is some sort of problem as they have taken off all the other flights for that day. Time will tell if they remove it completely as I dont fly until the 3rd March.

JDiver Jan 16, 2013 8:32 am

Moderator action

Posts dealing with QR have been moved from the ANA Forum for member convenience.

JDiver, Senior Moderator

kataka Jan 17, 2013 12:00 am

QATAR Airways Cancels Planned Boeing 787 Service to Perth due Feb 2013.
http://airlineroute.net/2013/01/16/qr-per-feb13update2/

JohnCV Jan 17, 2013 12:20 am

Well the QR LHR-DOH flight was cancelled completely. For my coming trip LUX-MEL I shall look for companies that don't use the 787.
I don't believe that there is something wrong with the plane. I just don't want to get caught with a cancellation in the middle of everything.

FT Guest xyzpdq Jan 17, 2013 2:23 am

Originally Posted by kataka (Post 20064386)
QATAR Airways Cancels Planned Boeing 787 Service to Perth due Feb 2013.
http://airlineroute.net/2013/01/16/qr-per-feb13update2/

Very interesting indeed - Unfortunately I would not expect it to last. I have a CPH-DOH-PER and return in June and August together with the family. Not comfortable with the 787 right now for obvious safety reasons. Plus it seems like the comfort is going south compared to the 777 (in Y). Likely too much to hope for that the 777 will stay on this route.

gill2610 Jan 17, 2013 2:42 am

Originally Posted by JohnCV (Post 20064437)
Well the QR LHR-DOH flight was cancelled completely. For my coming trip LUX-MEL I shall look for companies that don't use the 787.
I don't believe that there is something wrong with the plane. I just don't want to get caught with a cancellation in the middle of everything.

That is the flight I took on my way to PER at the end of November, Obviously not on the 787, and I am booked on the DOH - LHR on the 787 3rd March, I hope they change from the 787 as they have done with my PER - DOH on that day.

What happened to passengers booked on that flight today, were they put on an alternative aircraft?

JohnCV Jan 17, 2013 2:54 am

What happened to the passengers? That's what I was contemplating, I have no idea. You never read about that until much later in angry trip advisor or airline quality reviews.

Zol Jan 17, 2013 4:02 am

QR is grounding all Boeing 787 aircraft effective today 17 January 2013

intuition Jan 17, 2013 6:20 am

QATAR AIRWAYS STATEMENT ON BOEING 787s

Following instructions by both the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in the United States and Qatar’s Civil Aviation Authority, Qatar Airways is implementing the Airworthiness Directive issued by the FAA for all operators of the Boeing 787 to ground the aircraft, effective today 17 January 2013.

Qatar Airways Chief Executive Officer Akbar Al Baker said: “I previously stated that Qatar Airways will only stop operating our Dreamliners if we receive such an instruction from regulators.

“Safety remains the number one priority for Qatar Airways. We ensure all our aircraft meet the most stringent safety standards and this will not be compromised in any way.

“In light of recent events surrounding the Boeing 787 Dreamliner worldwide, we are actively working with Boeing and the regulators to restore full customer confidence in the 787.

“Qatar Airways will resume 787 operations when we are clear that the aircraft meets the full requirements of the Airworthiness Directive and our standards which assure the safety of our passengers and crew at all times.

So we are not flying the aircraft until and only such a time this is achieved.

“Qatar Airways would like to express our sincere apologies to passengers booked on our 787 flights, but we are sure they will understand our concerns in view of recent events with other 787 operators around the world.

Our staff are assisting all affected passengers to be accommodated on other flights to get them to their final destination with minimum inconvenience.”

Qatar Airways currently has five Boeing 787-8 aircraft in its fleet.

SimpleDXB Jan 17, 2013 7:08 am

:mad:I have just checked in for my 18:40 flight from DOH to DXB (due to be on the 787) and was told there was not a problem with the 787 and that the flights were operating as normal....What the hell...??? I specifically asked whether there was a replacement plane and the check-in dumbass sneered at me that she had no idea what I was talking about.

Worried.

Qatar Airways. UGH!!!

SimpleDXB Jan 17, 2013 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Zol (Post 20065048)
QR is grounding all Boeing 787 aircraft effective today 17 January 2013

Not according to Qatar Airways check-in staff as of 16:40 at DOH... Am praying my metal on the 18:40 DXB-DOH has been switched from 787 to 777