FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   787 Economy Class Reviews (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1414555-787-economy-class-reviews.html)

bluegreentravel Dec 6, 2012 7:33 am

787 Economy Class Reviews

Hi all,

Any QR 787 economy class reviews? I've been reading how fantastic business class is, but so far no personal takes on the back cabin. I'll be booking tickets to Frankfurt soon, and the website indicates that the Dreamliner would be utilized on the DOH-FRA leg. I'm a bit worried because all the reviews in travel/airline websites seem to unanimously agree that the 16.9" seat width feels like a step backward from the 18.9" in their 777. Plus, the legroom is a measly 31". Even with a new slim seat design, this does not sound fantastic at all.

I'll probably be flying in Y, as I usually always do in non-business trips, and QR is cheaper than the *A options. Any stories or personal experiences about the 787 economy? Are the seats really that bad? I really don't care for lighting and huge windows, if the seat is tight... I'm impressed with the 777 seats and service to and from Asia, but the Doha to Europe legs on 320 and 330 always seem to consistently disappoint - I wonder is the 787 is any better?

Side question: I'm considering jumping ship to Etihad (easy silver and gold), because of a series of non-ideal experiences in QR - e.g. was on-hold for half an hour ((!), had the worst airline meal of my life on a recent DPS-DOH flight, etc. Can anyone also weigh in on the Etihad vs Qatar debate (service, how they treat silver/gold, planes)?

Thanks in advance!

(Long time lurker but first time poster. Finally mustered the courage to post a question!)

tamag0chi Dec 6, 2012 8:52 am

+1

another lurker wants to know too :)

N1Rotate Dec 6, 2012 10:01 am

Even though it is slightly narrower than the A330 seats, subjectively the seat feels more comfortable than the A330 seats. Especially the head rest is really good. In terms of seat pitch you will not feel a difference as compared to the A330 seat. On top of that you have the significantly better IFE, larger PTV, better lighting, better cabin pressure, higher humidity, more overhead bin space, a very slim IFE box under the seats compared to the bulky one on the A330 and in flight connectivity. You will not be disappointed.

If you are a larger person you will notice a difference as compared to the 777 seat, but if you were comfortable on QR's A330 in Y you will be comfortable on their 787.

IndyDavid Dec 6, 2012 1:49 pm

Welcome to FT, bluegreentravel!

SAA340 Dec 7, 2012 2:29 am

Originally Posted by tamag0chi (Post 19806975)
+1

another lurker wants to know too :)

+1

Zol Dec 8, 2012 6:55 am

Originally Posted by N1Rotate (Post 19807410)
Even though it is slightly narrower than the A330 seats, subjectively the seat feels more comfortable than the A330 seats. Especially the head rest is really good. In terms of seat pitch you will not feel a difference as compared to the A330 seat. On top of that you have the significantly better IFE, larger PTV, better lighting, better cabin pressure, higher humidity, more overhead bin space, a very slim IFE box under the seats compared to the bulky one on the A330 and in flight connectivity. You will not be disappointed.

If you are a larger person you will notice a difference as compared to the 777 seat, but if you were comfortable on QR's A330 in Y you will be comfortable on their 787.

I find the seats narrower than the 777, much narrower actually but with better leg room. The IFE box under the seat is extremely annoying, I don't know about the QR7 77 but you don't get that on EK aircraft. There are seats you can choose to avoid the box but not many isle or window options.

bluegreentravel Dec 8, 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Zol (Post 19818135)
I find the seats narrower than the 777, much narrower actually but with better leg room. The IFE box under the seat is extremely annoying, I don't know about the QR7 77 but you don't get that on EK aircraft. There are seats you can choose to avoid the box but not many isle or window options.

Thanks for the replies, everyone...

By better legroom - are you referring to A330 or B787?

They roughly have the same width, and I find the A330 to be irritatingly narrower than the 777, and I have a normal frame. The legroom is not great either (compared to 777, which has space galore), and made worse by the IFE box and the leg rest.

The EK Y seats in 777 though is pure pain, and I would take any QR configuration anytime. If the QR 787 is the new version of the EK 777, then it's really a shame... I think I'll try at least once - because I have had consistently good service on-board in QR Y. The customer service/call centers meanwhile, as constantly repeated in these forums, is 3-star quality.

Zol Dec 9, 2012 2:01 am

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel (Post 19821233)
Thanks for the replies, everyone...

By better legroom - are you referring to A330 or B787?

They roughly have the same width, and I find the A330 to be irritatingly narrower than the 777, and I have a normal frame. The legroom is not great either (compared to 777, which has space galore), and made worse by the IFE box and the leg rest.

The EK Y seats in 777 though is pure pain, and I would take any QR configuration anytime. If the QR 787 is the new version of the EK 777, then it's really a shame... I think I'll try at least once - because I have had consistently good service on-board in QR Y. The customer service/call centers meanwhile, as constantly repeated in these forums, is 3-star quality.

I was referring to the B787 and comparing it to the EK 777. Its been a while since I've been on a QR 777

tboons Dec 9, 2012 2:20 am

Personally, having flown only on 773 and 772 on QR, 773 on SQ, 773 on EK, A333 on LH, A333, A340 on CX, all on economy, I think 772 on QR is the best. The economy cabin has lesser economy seats than other 773 and this gives a more spacious feel. Each section is not that crowded compared to B773. I preferred B777 range over A330 and A340 anytime. I think ANA on B787 is a nice product. Might travel on that to Japan next year. Looking at the stats of QR 787, it's kinda disappointing when they cramped too many economy class seats. I am slim but tall at 1.83m, always enjoy the 34" seat pitch on 773 and 772. Hopefully the QR product will be good in B787. Would they launch it on Singapore-Doha route?

Omar84 Dec 11, 2012 6:41 am

I havent flown on the 787 yet, but it seems most airlines who will be using will be configuring it 3-3-3, which is a shame really. Also I believe there is a mix of legroom, so maybe you will get some more in the forward cabin over the back cabin. ANA and JAL configured there's as 2-4-2 so as it stand at the moment they are the most comfortable of the bunch.

With regards to 777's, QR's 777 is better than EK and EY 777 cause they use 3-3-3 over the 3-4-3 config.

As for QR vs EY Gold, all I can say is that EY will upgrade people at check in as Gold, QR has never OP-UPped me in the last 2 years of frequent travelling I have done with them. So from that perspective I find EY better. Also EY as gold let you use their flagship lounges (FRA/LHR/MAN/DUB). QR does not unless your flying business or first (DOH/LHR).

tboons Dec 11, 2012 6:49 am

I have to agree that so far JAL and ana seem to provide the best economy seats for now by the stats.

Daniel1976 Dec 12, 2012 10:48 pm

hi i have just been on the 787 doha-dubai it was the worst seat ever, i agree the head rest was good but the seat was hard, no leg room seat box was in the way I'm only 5'11 and my knees were hitting the seat in front, I would avoid this aircraft at all cost even for a 1 hour flight
the seat pan moves forward so no way that you could move if you were bigger than me, my partner is 6ft4 knees were hard against the seat in front that person could not recline at all or he would not be able to sit, for a 5 star airline to have 31 inch pitch is jut a joke, no perm economy I am not sure what they were thinking AVOID AT ALL COST

f97johan Dec 12, 2012 11:34 pm

They did a last-minute airplane change (or at least a post-my-online-check-in airplane change) for QR721 from RUH to DOH yesterday evening, so now I have also had the pleasure of traveling Y in the QR 787. Got a seat on row 26 (the bulkhead seats for the second economy cabin) so I had unlimited leg room. The seat was nice enough for me and ICE was good (although it was a short flight so I haven't given either a real test).

I should have test-sat in a non-bulkhead seat as well, but didn't think of that yesterday.

Sixth Freedom Dec 15, 2012 3:57 pm

It is also worth mentioning that you stand a better chance of an empty seat next to you with 3-3-3 than with 2-4-2.

And 16.9" width with an empty adjacent seat > 18-19" with that other seat occupied.

:)

QatarA340 Dec 16, 2012 5:00 am

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel (Post 19806516)
Hi all,

Any QR 787 economy class reviews? I've been reading how fantastic business class is, but so far no personal takes on the back cabin. I'll be booking tickets to Frankfurt soon, and the website indicates that the Dreamliner would be utilized on the DOH-FRA leg. I'm a bit worried because all the reviews in travel/airline websites seem to unanimously agree that the 16.9" seat width feels like a step backward from the 18.9" in their 777. Plus, the legroom is a measly 31". Even with a new slim seat design, this does not sound fantastic at all.

I'll probably be flying in Y, as I usually always do in non-business trips, and QR is cheaper than the *A options. Any stories or personal experiences about the 787 economy? Are the seats really that bad? I really don't care for lighting and huge windows, if the seat is tight... I'm impressed with the 777 seats and service to and from Asia, but the Doha to Europe legs on 320 and 330 always seem to consistently disappoint - I wonder is the 787 is any better?

Side question: I'm considering jumping ship to Etihad (easy silver and gold), because of a series of non-ideal experiences in QR - e.g. was on-hold for half an hour ((!), had the worst airline meal of my life on a recent DPS-DOH flight, etc. Can anyone also weigh in on the Etihad vs Qatar debate (service, how they treat silver/gold, planes)?

Thanks in advance!

(Long time lurker but first time poster. Finally mustered the courage to post a question!)

I flew QR 787 Economy. The seats are very similar in width to the EK 777s--which are cramped and tight. Leg room is bad also. Im overweight so my review can be biased. If your average weight, then it shouldn't be on a problem. I would certainly fly QR Business Class if IM going on a 787. Otherwise, I will not be able to survive more than an hour's flight. I can't believe its flying to Perth--whcih is a loong flight for these seats. I really hope that QR changes its mind and installs 8 abreast seats.