Community
Wiki Posts
Search

787 Economy Class Reviews

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2012, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Zol
I find the seats narrower than the 777, much narrower actually but with better leg room. The IFE box under the seat is extremely annoying, I don't know about the QR7 77 but you don't get that on EK aircraft. There are seats you can choose to avoid the box but not many isle or window options.
+1 on the seat box. You'd think that the technology would allow for something less intrusive. The seat was comfortable enough otherwise.

Also, I like the dimmer switch on the windows, but it didn't function during the flight for me -- it worked when we were parked at the gate, and then (I assume) the captain disables it during taxi and takeoff, but it never got re-enabled on my flight to DXB, even when we reached cruising altitude.

Besides that, I don't see much of a difference to other aircraft -- the 787 is nice and new, though one benefit of QR is that most aircraft are in very good condition. The slightly larger screen and more user-friendly IFE control were minor pluses.

I see no reason to go out of one's way to fly the 787 versus other aircraft if one in Y. Of course J seems to be a different matter.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by mecabq

Also, I like the dimmer switch on the windows, but it didn't function during the flight for me -- it worked when we were parked at the gate, and then (I assume) the captain disables it during taxi and takeoff, but it never got re-enabled on my flight to DXB, even when we reached cruising altitude.

I see no reason to go out of one's way to fly the 787 versus other aircraft if one in Y. Of course J seems to be a different matter.
I think you'll find the FAs do it. It means they control the "shades" now, not you. You just get whatever they feel like.
I could be really cynical and draw parallels to "the illusion of choice", but I'll refrain.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
I've unfortunately been disheartened by the not-so-great 787 Y reviews, and decided to fly out from Paris instead, still with QR (using the more spacious A340, and would give me a chance to visit my usual haunts there too; I'm not looking forward to CDG and the lounge though). Maybe I'll try the 787 someday on a shorter hop, but not this trip, as I have to head to office the next day - and would like to try sleeping on-board.

The comparison with EK Y sounds scary! I'm a bit disheartened that there seem to be improvements in C, but the Y passengers are largely ignored.

Thanks for the reviews! Hopefully others can chime in too - as opinions can vary greatly.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by QatarA340
I flew QR 787 Economy. The seats are very similar in width to the EK 777s--which are cramped and tight. Leg room is bad also. Im overweight so my review can be biased. If your average weight, then it shouldn't be on a problem. I would certainly fly QR Business Class if IM going on a 787. Otherwise, I will not be able to survive more than an hour's flight. I can't believe its flying to Perth--whcih is a loong flight for these seats. I really hope that QR changes its mind and installs 8 abreast seats.
I have flown both ANA 787 and UA 787. By far, ANA configured the a/c the way Boeing intended for economy class. 2-4-2, pleasantly wide and comfy seats, ample legroom. I'm not a huge fan of non-reclining seats with the slide-forward lower cushion, but didn't need to recline on the flight from Tokyo to Hiroshima. Apparently ANA domestic 787's will be configured 3-3-3 in the future, with international flights retaining 2-4-2.

UA was another matter. An utter mess right from entering the cabin at door 2. UA obliterated the grand "wow factor" entry by putting in a galley where none was intended, and covering up most of the gorgeous arched ceiling feature.
Their Business First cabin looks cheesy and is. Small PTV's and a tiny cubbyhole to wedge your feet into for the lie flat bed. Economy and E+ are in a sad state. Like most 787 carriers, UA crammed in 9 seats per row where 8 were intended. The fuselage didn't get wider, so the seats and aisles are noticeably more narrow than ANA and JAL's 8 seats per row. UA's drab and cheap looking dark blue interiors aren't exactly welcoming.

I'm not overweight, and my hips fit the Y seat with an acceptable margin. However, elbows and shoulders are another matter. I was in an Economy + window seat with a large teenage boy wedged in the middle seat next to me. There was no way for us to share the skinny armrest, he won. And his broad shoulders were well into my space and the aisle passenger's space. To avoid rubbing shoulders, my options were: arms tightly crossed or jammed up against the wall. Neither was comfortable for the 3 hour flight from Houston to Los Angeles. I can't imagine a long Pacific flight like that. E+ legroom was nice though.

I give UA kudos for the cool lavatory, but the flush sound permeates the rear Y cabin. I didn't sit there but passengers who did heard every loud flush. Also, passengers in the front rows of the rear compartment noted that area was extremely noisy with concentrated sounds of conversations and flushes from the lavs. FA's concurred. Somehow, sound concentrates there.

Walking back to the lav I inadvertently bumped into many passengers on both sides of the narrow aisles. Those poor souls were splayed out into the aisles to avoid rubbing shoulders with center seat passengers. Stand at the front of the Y cabin and look back to the most jam packed cabin you'll ever see. You won't see many smiling faces.

It seems airlines going with 3-3-3 in Y assume that the high tech goodies of the 787 will make up for narrow and uncomfortable seats. I disagree. Play with the windows, admire the quiet engines, stow large luggage in the overhead bins, enjoy more humid air at a lower altitude pressure, colorful LED lighting, all good. But what I really want is a comfortable seat and some semblance of my own space. I'm in Y, I get it. But this is absurd! No way the coolest aircraft ever built should be configured. I've been more comfortable on an AirAsia A320 or Southwest 737. Give me a 777 or A380 any day.

My UA 787 flights were 3 hours. UA will use their 787's for long hauls once the USA domestic trial period is over. I can't imagine trying to sleep on a plane rubbing shoulders with the passenger next to me. Even 2 Xanax or Ambien might not ensure a decent sleep. Pray for an empty middle seat. I can't recommend an aisle seat unless you want to get bumped constantly.

The electric dimming windows don't fully darken, so eye masks are needed for sleep when the sun is low on the horizon.

I've been looking forward to this aircraft for years and am extremely discouraged to say I will avoid it in the future when configured 3-3-3. My budget dictates I'm a Y passenger. There are more comfortable options on other a/c. What a shame this amazing new plane is being .......ized by most airlines. Once the excitement of the new airplane has passed, I'm afraid others will notice it's no fun to rub shoulders on a jam packed airplane with fellow passengers practically in your lap.

If you want to truly enjoy the Dreamliner experience in economy class, try ANA or JAL. They did the airplane justice.

I made videos about my ANA and UA experiences. See for yourself.

ANA 787
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4i5tyzsmQc

United Airlines 787
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=737t6...ature=youtu.be
Old Dec 31, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
787 Economy Class Reviews

Had my QR 787 test flight yesterday DXB-DOH-DXB in Y (A7-BCA both directions)

My obervations:

Nice, airy cabin with large 777 overhead bins. Tight seat pitch, width ok when neighbour seat is empty. Window and aisle seat with the awful computer box underneath the front seats -> a no go -> compares to the cramped LH's A340 Y :-(
Cabin pressure and humidity really seems to make a difference (good), the tintable window is a nice geek. ICE looks very good but flight was too short for extensive testing. No external camera views like on the A380 :-( ICE on my return flight did not work though (screen black except for central feeds like Safety video, seat 31K). Nice ambience lighting. Food service a hot sandwich both ways (but different styles). In the back cabin emergency Row 26 and Row 34 have no windows.

Side notes: C really looks great. Beautiful cabin ambience. Row 6 on longhauls is awful as expected. C class toilets both sides and the inflight Bar gatherings in front :-( Only the view of the front C cabin is a treat but not worth it comparing to the downsides.

And yes, Immigration in DXB at T1 was awful both ways. Outbound 35 minutes (afternoon) with an extra passport check with no reason given (officers looked pretty clueless), 1:20 hrs on the inbound (evening) :-(

Overall, a nice new aircraft with a beautiful C class, Y with latest inflight entertainment but seating bad for longhauls. Al Bakers marketing blabla of an unprecedented experience in Y is wrong, cramped seating can be had on many other airlines already like LH, EK, etc. On longhauls Rows 1-5 for me only please

Last edited by ngfan; Dec 31, 2012 at 1:50 am
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, QR Silver, Accor, BA
Originally Posted by ngfan
Al Bakers marketing blabla of an unprecedented experience in Y is wrong, cramped seating can be had on many other airlines already like LH, EK, etc.

Haha, written in the dry way that only a German can... (I presume you're German...)

Thanks for all the good reviews!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by colortv
Apparently ANA domestic 787's will be configured 3-3-3 in the future, with international flights retaining 2-4-2.
[/url]
That is correct. Indeed ANA has already re-configured its domestic B787s 3-3-3

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/AN...B787-(Domestic)
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:41 pm

I flew HND-FRA on the NH 787 a couple of weeks ago and in discussing with one of the FA, it appears that NH will introduce with the next delivery in March, a new version of the 787-8 for International that will include PY seating and an increase in the total number of seats (currently at 158) which can only mean that the Coach configuration will go to 9 abreast in 3-3-3 for International.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by lovejapan
I flew HND-FRA on the NH 787 a couple of weeks ago and in discussing with one of the FA, it appears that NH will introduce with the next delivery in March, a new version of the 787-8 for International that will include PY seating and an increase in the total number of seats (currently at 158) which can only mean that the Coach configuration will go to 9 abreast in 3-3-3 for International.
Pack 'em in! (That's not good news). Sadly, more reasons to avoid flying a Dreamliner.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:18 pm

Disappointed in not so stellar reviews of economy class on the Dreamliner. Flew with Qatar PER-DOH-CPH last year and loved it. The leg room and seat width on the 777 on the PER-DOH route was great and no IFE box under the seats.
Planning a similar trip this year and it would have been a no brainer until I read reports on the Dreamliner that's going to fly the PER-DOH route. Seat pitch 31" and squeezing 3-3-3 rows in...what were they thinking???? There is no way I would last 11 hours on those seats. IMO, they lost a big advantage they had on other airlines in as far as economy seats go. I will now, unfortunately, look at other options for my flights to Europe.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Just got off the 787 DXB-DOH. Seat 11D. I agree with the mostly negative reviews on the seats - felt much more cramped than the 772LR in Y, which is the only other QR Y I've experienced. 787 has nice features but I can't imagine those would make a difference if stuck in that Y seat on a longhaull. 48 minutes was enough. DXB Immigration a joke; took forever. And even though I'm in C DOH-IAH the Premium Terminal buses were not waiting for any Y passengers and the Y bus that I had no choice but to board did not stop at the PT, so I had to be taken back to the PT on my own private bus ride. But all's well that ends well.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:34 am

I am flying from Per Doh Lhr and both flights are on the 787 dreamliner, I was looking forward to it but now reading all the press news about the safety of this plane and the reviews on the seat pitch and width I am very worried.
Its a long flight and it sounds as if it is going to be very uncomfortable, but having just changed my return flight from January to March at a cost of £150, I have no choice but to put up with it, but not happy at all.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by gill2610
I am flying from Per Doh Lhr and both flights are on the 787 dreamliner, I was looking forward to it but now reading all the press news about the safety of this plane and the reviews on the seat pitch and width I am very worried.
Its a long flight and it sounds as if it is going to be very uncomfortable, but having just changed my return flight from January to March at a cost of £150, I have no choice but to put up with it, but not happy at all.
I wouldn't worry about the safety of the plane. With all the bad press lately it's possible the plane won't fly very full. If you're lucky and the seat next to you is empty, you'll probably be OK with the seat width. The discomfort happens if there's someone sitting next to you. Unless you enjoy rubbing shoulders, you're likely to be uncomfortable unless that middle seat person is a child or petite.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:41 pm

So the FAA has grounded the dreamliner lets see if QR follow suits.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:25 am

Programs: SAS eurobonus Flying Blue
According the Daily Mail the QR LHR-DOH was cancelled. Right now that is terribly annoying for people booked on that flight. But, if they ground them, it is probably good news for future economy class travellers. They get the A330 or 777 back with more spacious seating configuration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.