Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dan Schimmel
Hoping this might be the place to help answer a question. I fly on Qatar internationally for work, and have been upgraded several times to business at check in. However, it does not happen consistently - sometimes it does when I don't expect it and other times it doesn't when I do think it will happen.

As an example, I recently flew from Atlanta to Dhaka through Doha on an economy ticket with an N fare class both legs on the outbound trip. The leg from Doha to Dhaka, I was upgraded to business, but there were other empty business seats (so how does my N-fare class get upgraded?) On my return flight, I was upgraded on the Doha to Atlanta leg on a B-fare class economy ticket. I can't figure out any rhyme or reason for when upgrades are automatically triggered - does anyone have any insight?
I've been fortunate with a few operational upgrades over the years - and as remdk mentions, in my case the free upgrades have happened only when Economy is full / oversold. Overbooking is not as common on QR as some other carriers (e.g. Emirates) so it's best not to expect such upgrades too regularly!

QR prioritise QRPC / oneworld status holders if operational upgrades are needed (for which I am very grateful).
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:41 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
I booked ARN-DOH-HKG-SIN-DOH-ARN back in March in J class for travel in September during a sale. With the current situation in HKG are QR likely to charge to change the DOH-HKG leg to DOH-SIN.

Edit: phoned Qatar airways - change fee plus difference in fare was applied. Totalled £500.

Last edited by McG; Aug 13, 2019 at 3:16 am
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

any luck for through check luggage

Hi!

I am about to book a biz award ticket with a 26 hour stopover (HKG-DOH-OSL, both legs are Qatar biz class). I wonder if anyone has luck recently to have luggage checked through the final destination from HKG. I have checked with Qatar customer service. They told me that the luggage has to be claimed for a stay that is over 24 hours. However, I want to travel light as I tour around Doha. Any advice or tip is welcomed and much appreciated.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:31 pm

Unhappy Trying to get from LAX to Germany

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have honestly never seen such a confusing air carrier website. And my blonde brain apparently can't figure it out.
I know that Qatar flies into DUS or TXL or MUC in Germany, because I can see the flights available from Doha. However, when I try to book a ticket (Business) from LAX to any of those airports, it just tells me that this is not available. I also called customer service and I was told "we do not fly there". When I called back again, I was told "That's too many flights together".
Interestingly enough, I can book a ticket all the way from LAX to Belgrade or Sofia or Sarajevo, but not into Germany. When I try to book it as "Multi City", it won't price, because it says the business class is not available, yet if I book all those flights singular - the business class is always available. I am getting so confused. Is there a special trick that I should know? Thank you all for your help. Have a great day.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:25 pm

It's likely they don't file prices for USA to Western Europe as it's just a "wrong" routing to double back so much.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: BA silver
First time with QR and through DOH

A couple of questions in front of my first QR flight from LHR-DOH-ADL in January
1. I have chosen a 20 hour layover but from what I read the Discover Qatar finishes in 2019. Correct?
2. Can I check bags just to DOH and collect them there and recheck in for the flight to ADL?
3. I arrive at 0100 hours. Are there plenty of taxis at that time of night? What's the likely cost in the centre of the city?
Thanks in advance for your help
Old Aug 16, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Dorsetboy
A couple of questions in front of my first QR flight from LHR-DOH-ADL in January
1. I have chosen a 20 hour layover but from what I read the Discover Qatar finishes in 2019. Correct?
2. Can I check bags just to DOH and collect them there and recheck in for the flight to ADL?
3. I arrive at 0100 hours. Are there plenty of taxis at that time of night? What's the likely cost in the centre of the city?
Thanks in advance for your help
1. Correct, you cannot book 2020 yet, but they will most likely extend it again.
2. They will not check your bags to DOH even if you want them to. Bags will be checked through to ADL.
3. DOH airport (and Middle East in general) is most active during the night, so there will be plenty of taxis.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA silver
Originally Posted by mlqsko
1. Correct, you cannot book 2020 yet, but they will most likely extend it again.
2. They will not check your bags to DOH even if you want them to. Bags will be checked through to ADL.
3. DOH airport (and Middle East in general) is most active during the night, so there will be plenty of taxis.
Why aren't you allowed to pick up your bags at Doha on a stopover? I have not experienced this before?
As for the reduced price hotel offer any ideas when it might be extended? Could. Apply now and chance it?
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:00 pm

Why aren't you allowed to pick up your bags at Doha on a stopover? I have not experienced this before?
Because of the fare rule of your ticket.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 6:42 pm

Why aren't you allowed to pick up your bags at Doha on a stopover?
To stop people booking a cheaper connecting flight through DOH, then bailing out early.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:00 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
As a platinum travelling in economy, would I ok taking a checked in bag of 20kg , and then a carry on on the plane?
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:11 am

Programs: QR Plat, BA Silver
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
As a platinum travelling in economy, would I ok taking a checked in bag of 20kg , and then a carry on on the plane?
More than ok. Normally you have 30kg in economy. As platinum you get 20kg on top. Plus 7kg in one hand baggage.

Me do this quite often. Only problem is that one checked baggage can not exceed 30kg. You have to split if you want to take all 50kg
Old Aug 22, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by solfi

More than ok. Normally you have 30kg in economy. As platinum you get 20kg on top. Plus 7kg in one hand baggage.

Me do this quite often. Only problem is that one checked baggage can not exceed 30kg. You have to split if you want to take all 50kg
Brilliant, thanks for the response
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:57 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Boarding zones as OWS

I've just checked in for my first QR flights in several years. My BA number is in the booking correctly and appears on the BP, but without any notice about the status. I’m also in zones 4 and 3 on the two flights (Y on 773 and A350) - I have no clue about QR zones, but that seems ... odd. Has my status been picked up? And how *do* QR manage their boarding?

thanks
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
I've just checked in for my first QR flights in several years. My BA number is in the booking correctly and appears on the BP, but without any notice about the status. I’m also in zones 4 and 3 on the two flights (Y on 773 and A350) - I have no clue about QR zones, but that seems ... odd. Has my status been picked up? And how *do* QR manage their boarding?

thanks
The zones relate to where you are sitting on the flight. however, if you have one world status you can board as soon as status passengers are invited to board.
Stewie Mac likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.