Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I still get confused by which economy fares are upgrade able. Are economy saver fares in O & N potentially upgrade-able with miles?
O saver are upgradable in advance but not at the airport. I always book O when I find space so I can not confirm but this is what you can read on the website
​​​​​​
purple1addict likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tom_D
O saver are upgradable in advance but not at the airport. I always book O when I find space so I can not confirm but this is what you can read on the website
​​​​​​
Sorry, yes. I've only ever upgraded O fares in advance as well, so no personal experience as to whether they are valid for airport upgrades or not - although guidance from other posters suggests not.

Thanks for the correction Tom!
flyertalker09567 likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by celtic_warrior
I still get confused by which economy fares are upgrade able. Are economy saver fares in O & N potentially upgrade-able with miles?
N is always upgradable and for a complete information T works the same way as O.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
We have a CGK-DOH-JFK rt tickets (Class N) for three persons for next June 2019 and try to upgrade the DOH-JFK and JFK-DOH with miles/qcredit but it is not available now. How likely do you think that 3 spaces will be available and when do you think it will open up. Any advice to increase my chance for upgrade is appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:37 pm

Dgh23877 when a flight is opened for sale nearly one year prior to flight date an initial allocations of reward seats and upgrade seats is usually made. Many are aware of this and these allocations are often quickly exhausted. Last year further seats were often allocated at some point. However the extra allocations appear to be extremely limited with more emphasis being placed on E-mail cash upgrade offers and airport upgrades for Qpoints, Qcredits and cash. Again there is apparently a limit of two seats on at least one of the airport upgrade types.
Your chances are very slim if your flights are in the first half of June since it is the end of Ramadan and the Eid holidays which are peak periods for QR..
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: QR Platinum
Thank you remdk for your prompt response. My travel is after Eid holidays which is June 17th and July 9th. How likely will they open up more seatd or if they will offer a cash upgrade given that DOH-JFK can be considered a busy route.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 4:34 pm

Another question regarding upgrades:

I have a coming SIN-LHR trip early next year. Looking for award availability, the full trip is only available for the QR 0943 + QR 0015 combination of flights. Looking just for the SIN-DOH leg I can see that all three flights have availability, the limitation is on the DOH-LHR leg. So can I book any of the 3 SIN-DOH flights in V for example, select the only DOH-LHR flight that has availability and upgrade both legs separately?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:14 am

In order to keeps things simple, you should book in Economy (V fare) the exact same itinerary you want to upgrade. Just make sure that there is enough award space so as to be able to upgrade the 3 tickets.

Edit: I thought you were looking for 3 award tickets. Same explanation applies for 1 ticket.

Last edited by Mister P.; Nov 20, 2018 at 2:51 pm Reason: Amend explanation
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:40 pm

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my question. What I meant was:

There are three daily flights SIN-DOH and all of them show availability when searching only for this sector. Out of all LHR flights, only one has availability in the DOH-LHR sector. And when searching for award availability using SIN-LHR there is only one option is available.

My question is if when trying to upgrade both sectors of my SIN-LHR, if I need to have that specific itinerary that the award search is showing for SIN-LHR or if that is just related to redemptions and upgrade availability is based on individual sector. Example: combining another of the SIN-DOH flights with the available DOH-LHR flight will allow me to upgrade both sectors.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:49 pm

As mentioned earlier, you should book the cash economy ticket on the exact same itinerary you want to upgrade. You can certainly upgrade the 2 segments separately if, for example, you don't have enough miles at the moment. However, I believe that will require additional miles as opposed to booking both sectors in one go. Double check the PC calculator to verify this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:33 am

Hi there.
Not sure if this has already been posted, but I did try a search but the results weren't easy to sift through.
Couple of queries please.

My nearest airport is BHX.
I'm intending to travel to Bangkok for a few nights and then Phuket for a week. I heard about Qatar Qsuites and really want to go on a flight that has those. I've already looked at options with Swiss/Thai which is cheaper but the Qsuites really are swinging it for me.
Qsuites in the UK seem to be only available out of LHR at present.
Prices from LHR to BKK seem very high compared to AMS to BKK. Even if I add a separate return flight to AMS to sandwich the AMS/BKK return, that is still around £1k pp cheaper than from LHR.

Question 1: Has anyone here got any experience of that? i.e. flying to Amsterdam the day before, in economy with say KLM or Flybe; spend the day sight seeing; catch a Qatar flight with a Qsuite the next day to Bangkok (change at Doha)?
Question 2: Will Qatar be introducing Qsuites to/from BHX? if so, will that be before July 2020 (Yeah I know it's a long time away, but this is a special trip I'm planning and I don't normally travel longhaul or in J)
Question 3: If yes to Question 2, what are the chances of the current £1k pp price difference reducing significantly for a BHX to BKK flight in a Qsuite? - I ask because ultimately this trip needs to have a fair bit of convenience and I don't mind spending a little more in order to cut down on the number of transfers and overall faffing around, though I am not made of money so still need to balance costs a bit too.

I note Qatar have a flight from Phuket to Doha, and that might be useful on the way back, avoiding the need to go to BKK to change again.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Aston100; Nov 21, 2018 at 8:34 am Reason: clarification
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Aston100
Question 1: Has anyone here got any experience of that? i.e. flying to Amsterdam the day before, in economy with say KLM or Flybe; spend the day sight seeing; catch a Qatar flight with a Qsuite the next day to Bangkok (change at Doha)?
Yes, this is a fairly common thing that happens a lot. As long as you leave long enough between the flights that you won't then miss the QR flight if there's an issue with your flight to Amsterdam then this is a great way to obtain cheaper flights in exchange for sacrificing some of your time. It's purely a question of which you value more.

Hi there.
Question 2: Will Qatar be introducing Qsuites to/from BHX? if so, will that be before July 2020 (Yeah I know it's a long time away, but this is a special trip I'm planning and I don't normally travel longhaul or in J)
I'm afraid no one here knows the timeline for further Qsuites roll out (I'm not sure anyone in QR knows the answer to your question yet!). My guess would be BHX is relatively low down the list of destinations waiting to get Qsuites and therefore they won't be introduced by July 2020, but I could easily be wrong on this.

Question 3: If yes to Question 2, what are the chances of the current £1k pp price difference reducing significantly for a BHX to BKK flight in a Qsuite? - I ask because ultimately this trip needs to have a fair bit of convenience and I don't mind spending a little more in order to cut down on the number of transfers and overall faffing around, though I am not made of money so still need to balance costs a bit too.
Historically, it's been fairly easy to obtain cheap QR business class flights, especially to BKK. However, QR now seems to be in the process of ramping up the average selling price to cover lost customers due to the blockade they're under, especially on routes where QR is strongly positioned. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much difference between LHR and BHX pricing these days, so if onboard product is your main priority I think you should go for the Qsuites routes as I would think it's unlikely you're likely to find the cheapest fares being sold out of BHX. I could be blindsided by a massive QR sale starting next month from BHX, but I think AMS is probably likely to be a cheaper departure point for the foreseeable future.
Matt4, Traveller999 and Aston100 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: qatar airways platinum
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Yes, this is a fairly common thing that happens a lot. As long as you leave long enough between the flights that you won't then miss the QR flight if there's an issue with your flight to Amsterdam then this is a great way to obtain cheaper flights in exchange for sacrificing some of your time. It's purely a question of which you value more.

I'm afraid no one here knows the timeline for further Qsuites roll out (I'm not sure anyone in QR knows the answer to your question yet!). My guess would be BHX is relatively low down the list of destinations waiting to get Qsuites and therefore they won't be introduced by July 2020, but I could easily be wrong on this.

Historically, it's been fairly easy to obtain cheap QR business class flights, especially to BKK. However, QR now seems to be in the process of ramping up the average selling price to cover lost customers due to the blockade they're under, especially on routes where QR is strongly positioned. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much difference between LHR and BHX pricing these days, so if onboard product is your main priority I think you should go for the Qsuites routes as I would think it's unlikely you're likely to find the cheapest fares being sold out of BHX. I could be blindsided by a massive QR sale starting next month from BHX, but I think AMS is probably likely to be a cheaper departure point for the foreseeable future.
I did an initial ex AMS flight in 2017. As the times changed by more than 3 hours(?) I was able to re position my initial departure airport to LHR.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
The other benefit you would get from LHR is the quality of the lounge.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BA - Gold
Hello All,

Flying my first Qatar flight in a fortnight LHR>DOH>PEN and (predictably) PEN>DOH>LHR in J. Might i have the option of a DOH>LHR upgrade to F (A380)? I've seen some posts regarding no cash upgrades from J to F but i think that seems to be LHR>DOH.

If there is a possibility I'm assuming it won't be offered online as it's only half of the trip (as the ticket is PEN>LHR)? Does that mean i won't be eligible at all? Or will i have to ask at PEN or DOH?

Sorry for the slight ramble but it seems a little confusing!

Many thanks!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.