Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold
Newbie question. Only recently discovered this forum. I am very interested in travelling to Australia next year and have been trawling through the QR sales options from ARN and others with very good prices. My question is when these sales crop up can you open jaw or is it out and back from the same Australian airport. In an ideal world my itinerary would be Europe (somewhere) - DOH - PER - internal Oz flights on QF - SYD - DOH - Europe. This way seems to generate plenty of Tier points and I can break the journey with a hotel (at my expense) in DOH both ways. Trip in business class. Is there a better way of doing it? Appreciate your answers from board experts.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
Why doesn't QR use a Dreamliner on the DOH-AKL route instead of a 777-200?
Range. QR are using the 777-200LR (Long Range) for this sector - not just a standard 772.
​​​​
With typical loading the distance for AKL-DOH definitely exceeds the maximum possible range for a 787-8. The range of the 787-9 is closer to the great circle distance for AKL-DOH but is still just outside the specs so there would need to be a compromise on passenger or cargo load to have sufficient tolerance for headwinds etc.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by GWZM2804
Newbie question. Only recently discovered this forum. I am very interested in travelling to Australia next year and have been trawling through the QR sales options from ARN and others with very good prices. My question is when these sales crop up can you open jaw or is it out and back from the same Australian airport. In an ideal world my itinerary would be Europe (somewhere) - DOH - PER - internal Oz flights on QF - SYD - DOH - Europe. This way seems to generate plenty of Tier points and I can break the journey with a hotel (at my expense) in DOH both ways. Trip in business class. Is there a better way of doing it? Appreciate your answers from board experts.
Just use the "Multi-Stop" flight search. If there is a sale for both cities, they just sum up the route prices.

For example in my case (prices are for 2 pax):
There was an ARN/OSL-CBR sale at the end of december (after the sale to AKL/SYD/PER in november). Most dates had 15.000 SEK for one route to CBR (so 30.000 SEK return).
On some dates there were some prices for route to SYD left at 20.000 SEK (one route).

So we booked with multi-stop search the routes:
ARN-DOH-CBR for 15.000 SEK
SYD-DOH-ARN for 20.000 SEK
which is 35.000 SEK in total.

If there are no promotion fares left for PER then you have to pay the full price of course.
What you can do is: do a normal search for first route (ARN-DOH-CBR) and look on which dates are the cheapest prices.
Then do the same search for second route (PER-DOH-ARN) and also look for the dates with promo fares left.
Then use Multi-search and combine both routes and dates. If it fits to your travel time, you will get the best rates.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:42 am

Thanks for your helpful reply cyru5
Old Mar 31, 2018, 7:55 am

Thanks for your helpful reply cyru5
Just saw you wrote "somewhere Europe": there was a QR sale from Sarajevo or Kiev last week. Maybe there are some good fares left, I didn't check it.
Of course also check your positioning flights and their prices. Then fly where the total package is cheaper and faster/better.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes single open jaws where the open jaw is within one country are usually permissible with QR sale fares. Double open jaws are usually disallowed.

But note that combinations are priced on a half round-trip basis; if only one of the cities has a sale, you would only benefit from the sale on half of the trip.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 3:39 am

Thanks Calchas, will need to be aware of that. Good advice.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:00 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Flying LHR-DOH-HKG in September with a connection time of 45 minutes. Not so worried if I don't make the next flight as I can reroute or whatever, but is there any serious risk of my bags not making it? Maybe travelling on again soon after landing in HKG so concerned my bags may struggle to make it back to me...

Is there any chance whatsoever QR would let us move back to the previous flight departure from LHR, it leaves 20 minutes before, currently same plane same price...?
Old Apr 2, 2018, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Paul Coles
Flying LHR-DOH-HKG in September with a connection time of 45 minutes. Not so worried if I don't make the next flight as I can reroute or whatever, but is there any serious risk of my bags not making it? Maybe travelling on again soon after landing in HKG so concerned my bags may struggle to make it back to me...

Is there any chance whatsoever QR would let us move back to the previous flight departure from LHR, it leaves 20 minutes before, currently same plane same price...?
I have done plenty of 45 to 60 minute connections in Doha, and my luggage has always made the flights. This is not BA and Heathrow, luggage handling works very well.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'm currently seeing something odd on the QR MMB. It quotes a flight time of -7h25 and tells me that I'm arriving 5 hours before leaving (all in the same time zone and the indicated STD and STA are correct). Another booking does the contrary: Flight of 50 minutes becomes 14 hours long. Anyone else seeing similar bugs?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Blue
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Welcome

Depends who you speak to! My understanding of the rule is there mustn't be an earlier connecting flight you could have booked that connects with your first flight (i.e. you will be eligible) and I have had the hotel approved for something similar previously; but I've also heard people that have called in your situation and been denied a hotel on the basis that a shorter layover exists full stop. Worth a try at least.
Just called today and was told as there is the previously mentioned flight, the STPC free hotel doesn't apply. Was worth a try, regardless.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 3:26 pm

Hi,

Newbie here.

My girlfriend lives in a different country to me, and I booked a ticket for her to visit me a few months back with Qatar Airways, using my own debit card.

I never received an email with any request to verify my card from QTR, however, I am a natural worrier and as the flight date approaches, I'm wondering about the possibility of her being asked to show the card at check-in. I've encountered a few concerning reports online of people being asked to produce cards without prior warnings from Qatar Airways.

Could my girlfriend be asked to show the card used for payment at check-in despite the physical impossibility of her presenting the card due to her being in another country? If she is asked for the card, is there anything I can do now to avoid issues arising with having to buy a new ticket or having her miss the flight entirely?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, QRPC Silver
Originally Posted by somtamthai
Hi,

My girlfriend lives in a different country to me, and I booked a ticket for her to visit me a few months back with Qatar Airways, using my own debit card.

I never received an email with any request to verify my card from QTR, however, I am a natural worrier and as the flight date approaches, I'm wondering about the possibility of her being asked to show the card at check-in. I've encountered a few concerning reports online of people being asked to produce cards without prior warnings from Qatar Airways.

Could my girlfriend be asked to show the card used for payment at check-in despite the physical impossibility of her presenting the card due to her being in another country? If she is asked for the card, is there anything I can do now to avoid issues arising with having to buy a new ticket or having her miss the flight entirely?

Thanks for any advice.
I don't think QR have a policy like that sure she'll be fine
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: FLYINGBLUE Gold QRPC Gold OMAN SINDBAD Gold
Originally Posted by spec119
I don't think QR have a policy like that sure she'll be fine
Originally Posted by somtamthai
Hi,

Thanks for any advice.
Just as a precaution, your gf could bring:

- a copy of the card both sides (blank the security number at the back)
- a copy of the bank/debit card statement showing the payment for the ticket
- a letter from you confirming that you payed for her ticket
- a copy of your passport/id

This should do it in case she's asked at check in
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Where does she live?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.