Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by danger
Thanks for that.

Yes, it is all one ticket.

Qantas tried to tell me that because the arrival and departure are on different days then it wouldn't be checked through. That's obviously a dodgy reason in the first place as it suggests that, for example, an arrival at 10.45pm and a departure at 1am would not see bags interlined.
danger I think you will find that that is QF baggage policy not QR! QR like several other OW airlines are ignoring the OW standard rules and providing passengers with a better service!

By the way it may not be possible on the return journey because you would be using TAM through checking rules and I have no idea what they are.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:12 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by remdk
danger I think you will find that that is QF baggage policy not QR! QR like several other OW airlines are ignoring the OW standard rules and providing passengers with a better service!

By the way it may not be possible on the return journey because you would be using TAM through checking rules and I have no idea what they are.
Interesting, thanks again.

I spoke with QF because it was issued by them.

This is a oneworld Explorer reservation so there'll be no return.

All sounds good, just as it should be.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:55 am

Hi all,
I'm not sure if you will be able to answer that, counldn't find the answer on their website.

I'm travelling with a mate to Hanoi through Bangkok from Geneva in September. We're going to buy 2 return business class tickets GVA - BKK as they're pretty cheap.

We were looking to book another flight to do the BKK - HANOI separately as we'll go economy for the last leg of the trip.

Here's my question:

I just found a great flight for the BKK HANOI leg which is also from Qatar. Question is, will I be able to ask the airline to check my baggage all the way to Hanoi from Switzerland, although it's 2 separate flight in 2 different classes?

If that was any other airline, we would need to go through BKK immigration and check out check in again the baggages to go to Hanoi. But as it might be Qatar, maybe we can do it the easy way and even stay in transit in BKK?
Is this possible?

Thanks !

Last edited by cephei; May 8, 2017 at 10:02 am Reason: format edit
Old May 8, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cephei
Hi all,
I'm not sure if you will be able to answer that, counldn't find the answer on their website.

I'm travelling with a mate to Hanoi through Bangkok from Geneva in September. We're going to buy 2 return business class tickets GVA - BKK as they're pretty cheap.

We were looking to book another flight to do the BKK - HANOI separately as we'll go economy for the last leg of the trip.

Here's my question:

I just found a great flight for the BKK HANOI leg which is also from Qatar. Question is, will I be able to ask the airline to check my baggage all the way to Hanoi from Switzerland, although it's 2 separate flight in 2 different classes?

If that was any other airline, we would need to go through BKK immigration and check out check in again the baggages to go to Hanoi. But as it might be Qatar, maybe we can do it the easy way and even stay in transit in BKK?
Is this possible?

Thanks !
cephei welcome to FlyerTalk and especially to the QR forum.

QR will always check luggage through on connecting QR flights . They would also do the same to any Oneworld (OW) airline. However not all other OW airlines will reciprocate.

If your luggage is checked through to your final destination even over several reservations and cabin classes then you can transit BKK without having to go through Immigration, customs, check-in etc. Just go through transfer security up to the departure level. It is just another transit similar to the one in DOH.
Old May 8, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold
Hi all, quick availability question.

My wife and I are booked on QR using AA miles IAH-DOH-SEZ (Seychelles) in July. Right now the IAH-DOH segment is in J, and DOH-SEZ is in Y since there was no J availability. I now see 1 seat in J on that segment, that (IIRC) wasn't there when I booked.

Does anyone know the chances of more seats being made available (lots of revenue seats best I can tell) as we get closer to departure? I don't mind putting the wife in J but would much prefer to be there myself as well, and would like to only fight with AA reservations once if possible

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2017, 11:58 am

Smile Thanks!

QR will always check luggage through on connecting QR flights . They would also do the same to any Oneworld (OW) airline. However not all other OW airlines will reciprocate.

If your luggage is checked through to your final destination even over several reservations and cabin classes then you can transit BKK without having to go through Immigration, customs, check-in etc. Just go through transfer security up to the departure level. It is just another transit similar to the one in DOH.
Thanks for the quick feedback! That's indeed great news. I'll book the tickets tomorrow.

Looking forward to my first time enjoying business class on an international leg! With Qatar no less
Old May 8, 2017, 12:36 pm

Another quick newbie question:

I am pretty new to business flying (J? ) as this would be my first international flight using this class. I will arrive in BKK flying business from Geneva but will transfer to a Y class QR flithgt to Hanoi.

My question is: will I be able to enjoy a business lounge in BKK eventhough I'm flying J class next?

Thanks!

BTW this forum is turning out to be extremely helpful !!
Old May 8, 2017, 2:00 pm

soccerref750 welcome to the QR forum.

The availability of seats does not mean that they are available as reward seats. It all depends on where you look!

More reward seats can be made available at any time so you need yo keep a lookout for them.Since it is the start of the main holiday season it is most likely that extra reward seats will not be made available.But keep looking. This is after all QR!
Old May 8, 2017, 2:10 pm

cephei Lounges in the departure areas of airports are departure lounges and with a very few exceptions access depends upon the cabin class on your departing boarding pass.
So if you are departing BKK in Y then you would not have lounge access.
However if you have Oneworld status Sapphire or Emerald then there may some form of lounge access in this situation.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by danger
Thanks for that.

Yes, it is all one ticket.

Qantas tried to tell me that because the arrival and departure are on different days then it wouldn't be checked through. That's obviously a dodgy reason in the first place as it suggests that, for example, an arrival at 10.45pm and a departure at 1am would not see bags interlined.
I will be traveling SCL-GRU-DOH-SIN in a couple of weeks and I am wondering the same thing (SCL-GRU being a LATAM flight). I bought the trip completely at the QR website (one ticket), with SCL-GRU arriving around 5PM and the GRU-DOH flight leaving at 5AM. If LATAM can issue the boarding pass for the QR flight and transfer the bags, I can stay at the Tryp hotel inside terminal 3. If not, I have to go to one of the outside hotels. Has anyone done this trip to confirm?
Old May 9, 2017, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by nelsinho
I will be traveling SCL-GRU-DOH-SIN in a couple of weeks and I am wondering the same thing (SCL-GRU being a LATAM flight). I bought the trip completely at the QR website (one ticket), with SCL-GRU arriving around 5PM and the GRU-DOH flight leaving at 5AM. If LATAM can issue the boarding pass for the QR flight and transfer the bags, I can stay at the Tryp hotel inside terminal 3. If not, I have to go to one of the outside hotels. Has anyone done this trip to confirm?
nelsinho welcome to the QR forum.

Since your trip is all one ticket you should have no problems with checking your baggage, and yourself, all the way through to SIN. I would however recommend that you look at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/latam...idelidade-689/ forum just to be sure.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:55 am

Another quick newbie question:

I am pretty new to business flying (J? ) as this would be my first international flight using this class. I will arrive in BKK flying business from Geneva but will transfer to a Y class QR flithgt to Hanoi.

My question is: will I be able to enjoy a business lounge in BKK eventhough I'm flying J class next?

Thanks!

BTW this forum is turning out to be extremely helpful !!
"Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight"

https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access

But some will argue that on separate tickets you're not actually 'connecting'.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:46 am

Checked with the Airline

Hi again!
I just called QR in Zurich to double check and, unfortunately, the person I had on the phone told me that by having 2 booking/2 tickets, I will have to do the check out/check in procedure in BKK for my connecting flight to Hanoi.

This is unfortunate and might push me to book with another airline for the last leg to give me more time for the transfer. might be cheaper as well.

It's a shame really, they'll have my name in their system all the way to Hanoi but won't check my baggages all the way through because it's 2 different bookings..

There you go, that's my update from QR customer service call of this morning
Old May 9, 2017, 3:10 am

Hi again!
I just called QR in Zurich to double check and, unfortunately, the person I had on the phone told me that by having 2 booking/2 tickets, I will have to do the check out/check in procedure in BKK for my connecting flight to Hanoi.

This is unfortunate and might push me to book with another airline for the last leg to give me more time for the transfer. might be cheaper as well.

It's a shame really, they'll have my name in their system all the way to Hanoi but won't check my baggages all the way through because it's 2 different bookings..

There you go, that's my update from QR customer service call of this morning
cephei thank you for that important piece of news:
QR no longer 'Interline' with QR on separate reservations!
It has done previously but this is a complete change of policy.
Either that or you have been fed the biggest load of horse manure ever!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:23 am

cephei thank you for that important piece of news:
QR no longer 'Interline' with QR on separate reservations!
It has done previously but this is a complete change of policy.
Either that or you have been fed the biggest load of horse manure ever!
Well the guy didn't seem to be up to date with the issue and put me on hold to check. 2 Mins later cambe back saying I couldn't do it.

To be completely honest, part of me feel like I should keep looking for a triple confirmation -_-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.