Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Old Dec 7, 2023, 10:29 pm

Auckland-Doha-London advice

Hi there I will be flying this mammoth route in January and am a little intimidated. I’ve never flown Qatar, never transited through Doha. I will be in J and right now am scheduled for Qsuites. Any and all advice will be welcome. Advice ordering food (when, how often, how much), when to try to sleep? What to expect in Doha? I have a 90 min layover—enough time for a shower in the lounge? Any shops in the Doha airport for small house gifts worth checking out? Any access to arrivals lounge in Heathrow? Thank you!
Old Dec 8, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ebs02
Hi there I will be flying this mammoth route in January and am a little intimidated. I’ve never flown Qatar, never transited through Doha. I will be in J and right now am scheduled for Qsuites. Any and all advice will be welcome. Advice ordering food (when, how often, how much), when to try to sleep? What to expect in Doha? I have a 90 min layover—enough time for a shower in the lounge? Any shops in the Doha airport for small house gifts worth checking out? Any access to arrivals lounge in Heathrow? Thank you!
I did this route a few years ago. Firstly I focussed on getting on to UK time, so based my eating around that. Having said that, most people on board seemed to just want to eat as soon as they got onboard, so earbuds were needed to sleep.

90 mins in Doha isn't particularly long. It is a large airport. However I'd get to the lounges ASAP and ask them for a shower slot. Works quite well - they give you a time and you even get a notification in your app.

T
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:28 pm

Refund of QR Avios when cancelling QR award ticket

Dear all, apologies, I did a search on this thread and see various questions about specific refund issues, but I have what I think is a very simple one that I don't see answered and so would v much appreciate advice as I'm not a Qatar regular at all

I have an upcoming award flight BKK - LHR via DOH, on QR in biz and using QR Avios (75K)

I expect to have to cancel the trip. I can see that there is a $25 fee (cancelling more than 24 hrs ahead), but I'm just seeking assurance that the miles (75K Avios) will be redeposited in full

I've tried Googling, but I don';t see this explicitly spelled out. Sorry if I'm being dumb, but thank you for any guidance!
Old Dec 9, 2023, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by sandgrounder54
Dear all, apologies, I did a search on this thread and see various questions about specific refund issues, but I have what I think is a very simple one that I don't see answered and so would v much appreciate advice as I'm not a Qatar regular at all

I have an upcoming award flight BKK - LHR via DOH, on QR in biz and using QR Avios (75K)

I expect to have to cancel the trip. I can see that there is a $25 fee (cancelling more than 24 hrs ahead), but I'm just seeking assurance that the miles (75K Avios) will be redeposited in full

I've tried Googling, but I don';t see this explicitly spelled out. Sorry if I'm being dumb, but thank you for any guidance!
Yes, you will get all of the avios back provided you cancel before the no show deadline. It is also best to cancel at least 24 hours before scheduled departure to avoid a higher cash penalty.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:42 pm

I have a SYD-DOH flight in F, and currently have 2 subsequent flights booked out of DOH in J (all separate tickets). Flight 1 departs 15 hours after my flight into DOH arrives, while flight 2 departs 27 hours after.

I am not yet sure which flight out of DOH I will take. One pro for flight 2 is that it would give me more time to explore Doha for a day, as I've never been. But since it departs more than a day after my arriving flight, I should only have access to the Al Mourjan lounge. If my understanding is correct, if I take flight 1, I'll be able to get in the Al Safwa lounge because my arriving flight is in F, even if my following outbound is on another ticket.

So now I'm wondering if I can get away with having the best of both worlds by keeping both tickets, using the earlier one for the presumed F lounge access and then canceling that ticket, before coming back the next day and taking the other flight. I've found several past threads about buying a refundable premium ticket specifically for lounge access, without ever intending to take the flight, and I'm hoping I'm not being quite as bad as I do intend to actually fly. Would any of the agents be able to see that I have 2 different bookings.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 7:36 pm

You would need to be checked in for the first ex-DOH flight to gain airside lounge access, and then offload yourself if you later decide to take the second. If you have checked luggage you may then be waiting a very long time to retrieve your bag. And that's assuming these are all QR issued tickets and you wouldn't have any AS access issues with those separate onward tickets and a 15 hour transit.

If you originally decide to take the second flight they will not check you through from your inbound as the transit is longer than 24 hours.

And if you have the same FF number and/or passport on both onward bookings, there is no guarantee that one of those flights would not be auto-cancelled. You won't get a choice about when or which one if that happens.

I would suggest committing to the transit you want to enjoy. If that includes a tour of Doha, book one of the Discover Qatar hotels and cancel the earlier onward flight. AS is nice but not so nice that it's worth the other hassles and risks, or spending 15 hours in
Old Dec 14, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: I wish :'(
Another question - ended up booking a partner award with QR Avios, is it the same $25 cancellation fee as QR's own metal tickets? Can't find anything online that indicates it could be different.

And if the booking says "Confirmed" instead of "Pending", I'm all good to go right? How does QR do with re-ticketing in case of schedule change?

Thank you (in advance KingCanute, since you seem to answer all of them)!

Last edited by yitianjian; Dec 14, 2023 at 2:09 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yitianjian
Another question - ended up booking a partner award with QR Avios, is it the same $25 cancellation fee as QR's own metal tickets? Can't find anything online that indicates it could be different.

And if the booking says "Confirmed" instead of "Pending", I'm all good to go right? How does QR do with re-ticketing in case of schedule change?

Thank you (in advance KingCanute, since you seem to answer all of them)!
Cancellation conditions depends on the partner program. In my case with JAL, it is 3,100 yen or 3,100 miles. So you need to look in the rules and conditions of the program you booked with.

Confirmed, and having a ticket number on the booking means all is set.

Re-ticketing if needed after a change, would have to happen through the program you booked with not QR. Though if there are just minor changes in time, re ticketing will not be required. However, if it is re-ticketing due to irrops during the trip, the operating carrier will manage it.
KingCanute likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 7:07 pm

Deleted

Last edited by KingCanute; Dec 14, 2023 at 7:24 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Cancellation conditions depends on the partner program. In my case with JAL, it is 3,100 yen or 3,100 miles. So you need to look in the rules and conditions of the program you booked with.

Confirmed, and having a ticket number on the booking means all is set.

Re-ticketing if needed after a change, would have to happen through the program you booked with not QR. Though if there are just minor changes in time, re ticketing will not be required. However, if it is re-ticketing due to irrops during the trip, the operating carrier will manage it.
Sorry - this is for the opposite way, so in my case booking JAL by using Qatar Avios. So in this case Qatar's booking, and viewing the PNR on Qatar's website.

(I think the answer is fairly obvious, but just crossing my t's and dotting my i's just in case)
Old Dec 14, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by yitianjian
Sorry - this is for the opposite way, so in my case booking JAL by using Qatar Avios. So in this case Qatar's booking, and viewing the PNR on Qatar's website.

(I think the answer is fairly obvious, but just crossing my t's and dotting my i's just in case)
Sorry, I misread that.

Yes, then you are under QR's cancellation fee rules. And in case of rebooking due to changes you need to talk to QR
yitianjian likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2023, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Sorry, I misread that.

Yes, then you are under QR's cancellation fee rules. And in case of rebooking due to changes you need to talk to QR
Gotcha, hoping I don't need to risk QR customer service too much, JL schedules seem very stable.
Old Dec 15, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Is anyone else having login problems to QRPC at this time? 30 mins ago everything was fine, but now the website seems in limbo.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 3:39 pm

77P (777-300ER 42J / 312Y) Economy question

Hi all, I'm soon travelling on a 77P (777-300ER with 42J / 312Y), in Economy.

Can anyone say if row 16A/K (bulkhead window seats) would be better or worse than the exit row window seats (rows 23 & 35 A/K)?

Thanks
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:48 am

Programs: SQ Elite Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Mixed Cabin

Quick one - planning to redeem DUS - SIN in January.

I do see J award space for DUS-DOH , but not for DOH-SIN. Y is available all the way. Searching for DUS-SIN, the website does not present me with an option to mix cabins.

Do I need to make 2 separate bookings or is there another way to at least have one leg in J?

Last edited by SkyRunner04; Dec 19, 2023 at 7:45 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.