Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Qatar Airways | Privilege Club

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Old Jul 31, 22, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently View Post
Another question: Is it possible to upgrade an award ticket using Avios? There is only one award seat in biz, so I was wondering if I could purchase the economy seat and upgrade it to J using Avios
Is the award seat a Flexi fare? (the O2 flag) If it is, upgrading with avios is probably not possible. Call your Qatar Contact Centre to confirm, they can check the Upgrade Availability for Avios Redemptions.
Old Jul 31, 22, 8:09 am

I'm getting on my first plane in September. Flying out to Thailand with a layover in Doha. I'm searching the internet to try and find a carry on suitcase within their size limitations. (20" x 15" x 10"). This seems to be smaller than the majority of airlines.
Most sites selling suitcases allow you to select the airline. Even the "small" hard-shell suitcases are an inch or two over. I don't know if I'm overthinking things and a slightly bigger suitcase will be fine, I just know I don't want to be paying a ridiculous amount if it doesn't fit.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Old Jul 31, 22, 1:17 pm

JFK Lounge Access? For Business Lite

Hello,

I am traveling next month to Dubai on Qatar Airways business, jfk to doha, then doha to Dubai. Same way back.

My ticket was booked as lite, so (P) class and I noticed it doesn't really have lounge access in Doha. My layover is short around 1 hour arrival and 2 hours ish return.

But I am wondering if I would still have access to the American Airlines Flagship Lounge at JFK with my business class (P) ticket? I can't find anywhere where it says I'm excluded, but need some confirmation.

In Doha I assume I don't have any access to any lounge without paying.

Side question, will i be admitted to Dubai's lounges? Thanks
Old Jul 31, 22, 3:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro, AmEx Membership Rewards
Originally Posted by Tofino87 View Post
It can be that long, but my experience is 5-10 days generally for Avios to redeposit.

they also charge very high fees for cancellations - per sector. Be aware of that!
Ugh. I screwed up and bought a ticket thinking you could get your miles back instantly like AA. Not looking good for me.
Old Jul 31, 22, 5:14 pm

QPoints for Rwandair QR Metal ?

Hello I recently flew from LAX-DOH-KGL-NBO [return]. The ticket was bought on Rwandair, but the LAX-DOH and DOH-LAX legs were on QR metal.
Avios and Qpoints were not credited automatically. When i reached out to QR, they credited Avios and not Qpoints. Just wondering if you get Qpoints for this situation and whether i need to keep making the effort to get in touch with customer service.
Thank you!
Old Jul 31, 22, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by fermos_06 View Post
Hello I recently flew from LAX-DOH-KGL-NBO [return]. The ticket was bought on Rwandair, but the LAX-DOH and DOH-LAX legs were on QR metal.
Avios and Qpoints were not credited automatically. When i reached out to QR, they credited Avios and not Qpoints. Just wondering if you get Qpoints for this situation and whether i need to keep making the effort to get in touch with customer service.
Thank you!
Normally for Oneworld codeshare flights, the marketing carrier counts, so these will be seen as Rwandair flights from an earning perspective. Not as QR flights.
Old Aug 1, 22, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta, Avios
Upgrade with Avios Points

I recently transferred a large number of Avios (1 million) to QR. I would like to use them for upgrades for the next year. I am confused with the QR option to purchase an Economy ticket and then Upgrade with Avios. 1) If I buy an Economy Class ticket but an Upgrade is not available, can I immediately cancel and get a full refund? 2) Is there a standard number of Avios needed to upgrade from NYC to Doha or does it change based on demand?
Thank you.
Old Aug 1, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: QR PC, BA EC, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by BenUK View Post
I'm getting on my first plane in September. Flying out to Thailand with a layover in Doha. I'm searching the internet to try and find a carry on suitcase within their size limitations. (20" x 15" x 10"). This seems to be smaller than the majority of airlines.
Most sites selling suitcases allow you to select the airline. Even the "small" hard-shell suitcases are an inch or two over. I don't know if I'm overthinking things and a slightly bigger suitcase will be fine, I just know I don't want to be paying a ridiculous amount if it doesn't fit.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Many years ago (while they still allowed 2 pieces of hand baggage in economy) I was able to bring my usual cabin sized luggage (which would exceed the limit for some other airlines) without any problems; and over the years of flying with them, I have never seen / asked by them to check the size of the hand baggage. While I'm usually only carrying a backpack now, many other passengers have brought their cabin sized luggage (some with 4 wheels) without any problems. If you want, there's a few cabin luggages on Samsonite's website which meet the requirements (you can easily filter by choosing the airline): https://www.samsonite.co.uk/cabin-luggage/
Old Aug 1, 22, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by JosephIsaia View Post
I recently transferred a large number of Avios (1 million) to QR. I would like to use them for upgrades for the next year. I am confused with the QR option to purchase an Economy ticket and then Upgrade with Avios. 1) If I buy an Economy Class ticket but an Upgrade is not available, can I immediately cancel and get a full refund? 2) Is there a standard number of Avios needed to upgrade from NYC to Doha or does it change based on demand?
Thank you.
You can check if an upgrade is available before purchasing. Look for regular (not 2x) business award flights and if they're available so is a Y-J upgrade as they come out of the same fare bucket. No need to purchase and cancel, even if it is allowed.

There is a mileage calculator online that shows the mileage required and it's fixed AFAIK.
Old Aug 3, 22, 8:36 am

First time flying business on QR next week and I'm wondering when I'll get the option to pre-select my meals? Can't seem to find it on the app or website apart from the special diet options.
Old Aug 3, 22, 9:36 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro, AmEx Membership Rewards
Currently have enough miles for one award ticket. I am flying with a companion, so we need two tickets. It's giving me the option of purchasing a ticket with a combination of Avios+money. If I do this, and then get enough Avios for the other ticket, could I cancel whichever ticket was booked with money and use the new Avios to book it instead?
Old Aug 3, 22, 1:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am booked onto the 9:40am MXP - DOH service in J in October. Is a late breakfast or early lunch served on board?
Old Aug 3, 22, 2:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver, A3
Originally Posted by LouAM View Post
First time flying business on QR next week and I'm wondering when I'll get the option to pre-select my meals? Can't seem to find it on the app or website apart from the special diet options.
I'm flying with them next Thursday. On the app I proactively went to the meals option and each flight had it's own tab. Only selected flights have the pre-select option. For me it's the DOH to KUL.
I don't think that they email you about it. I believe that no flights into Doha have the option and only some Asian ones leaving there.

Last edited by Stormbel; Aug 6, 22 at 7:03 pm
Old Aug 4, 22, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by Stormbel View Post
I'm flying with them next Thursday. On the app I proactively went to the meals option and each flight had it's own tab. Only selected flights have the pre-select option. FF me it's the DOH to KUL.
I don't think that they email you about it. I believe that no flights into Doha have the option and only some Asian ones leaving there.
Thank you! This is good to know. I'm flying MNL to DOH and then on to the UK.
Old Aug 4, 22, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
Same here, only sector with specific meal choice available (other than the usual bland/veggie etc) was DOH-FCO. Wasnt sure whether it was a timing thing or destination based.

As another point we had to wear masks for both sectors - FCO-DOH and DOH-MLE.

Search this Thread