Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Old May 18, 21, 6:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by plunet View Post
In summary, no.

The only significant difference is that if your layover exceeds 24hrs then it does not count as a transit, it assumes you will be leaving the airport, and therefore you need to be admissible into Qatar and the borders need to be open, have the necessary paperwork, etc. Also when you exceed 24hrs layover your luggage will not be checked through and you have collect and recheck at Doha. Conversely less then 24hrs, you need to have everything you need for your Doha stay in hand luggage as you will not usually be permitted to short check.

I think for the +Qatar you needed a layover of at least 12 hours (my memory might be playing tricks on me) and therefore in the original promo destructions published by Qatar it even stated that you had to book as a multicity to be eligible for +Qatar. In reality it didn't matter so long as your transit time exceeded the necessary 12 hours to qualify for the promo.
Thanks - I found the FAQ on the stopover program, and you're correct, 12+ hours. https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/...Qatar-Stopover

Now I just need to decide if our kids will do better on 2 long flights with a 12+ hours break in-between, or if it's best just to get them back on a plane so they can sleep for the 2nd leg. I know when I was a kid and we'd fly US -> Europe -> Africa (in Y), I'd always be wired and awake for the US - Europe leg, then get exhausted and sleep for most of the Europe -> Africa leg. Qatar's never been a destination I expected to travel to, but it'd also be fun to spend a few hours checking it out.

Also the question of how likely things are to be back to "normal" by then. I mean, I assume they will be, but I never assumed the pandemic would last this long either.
Old May 20, 21, 7:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by atourgates View Post
Also the question of how likely things are to be back to "normal" by then. I mean, I assume they will be, but I never assumed the pandemic would last this long either.
Ah well, that's a very good question. I might suggest the purchase of a crystal ball, cos no one knows. But on the basis of what is happening at the moment with new variants emerging I suspect that international travel is going to be tricky until a large majority of the global population are immune to the virus. Science is doing a good job to keep up with the virus although the scale of the job ahead to immunise everyone is still significant. And whilst the mood music is broadly positive at the moment as all the major vaccines so far appear to impact the new variants, but that could all change at relatively short notice. I still remember being in China in late Jan 2020 and booking a ticket, making a quick exit from the city I was in through roadblocks to get to the airport to sitting on the plane in the space of 5 hours.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 21, 21, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just noticed that Qatar has a required form for all destinations, stating that PCR requirements with name of Hospital/testing lab must be signed, consenting that you must share your test results when asked. What if your destination (ie the United States), doesn't require a PCR test? Some countries are just accepting rapid/antigen or just proof of completed vaccination and no test at all

SamirD likes this.
Old May 21, 21, 1:03 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by vball_00 View Post
I just noticed that Qatar has a required form for all destinations, stating that PCR requirements with name of Hospital/testing lab must be signed, consenting that you must share your test results when asked. What if your destination (ie the United States), doesn't require a PCR test? Some countries are just accepting rapid/antigen or just proof of completed vaccination and no test at all
This form was for when QR required passengers originating from a list of 13 countries for a PCR test taken not more than 96 hours before departure.
It is no longer used.
vball_00 likes this.
Old May 21, 21, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
This form was for when QR required passengers originating from a list of 13 countries for a PCR test taken not more than 96 hours before departure.
It is no longer used.
They have also used it when departing for a country where a PCR test was required. Departing Japan for Denmark before a PCR test was required for Denmark, no form, returning to Japan where a PCR test was required the form was used together with a copy of my PCR tests results.
SamirD and vball_00 like this.
Old May 22, 21, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
They have also used it when departing for a country where a PCR test was required. Departing Japan for Denmark before a PCR test was required for Denmark, no form, returning to Japan where a PCR test was required the form was used together with a copy of my PCR tests results.
Oh, another FT member posted on this forum that they didn't need to fill in that exact form even though their destination needed a PCR test.
I know some destinations eg. HKG use a separate form which is given at check-in.
Old May 22, 21, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Diamond (*G), Marriott Ambassador (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Oh, another FT member posted on this forum that they didn't need to fill in that exact form even though their destination needed a PCR test.
I know some destinations eg. HKG use a separate form which is given at check-in.
​​​​​​I just assumed that they used it as an evidence that they did check the PCR result, and that there was one at check in should there be issues at the other end. Proving that they did their thing.
Old May 22, 21, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG, AA, United
It is no longer used.
I had to fill this out May 1st when leaving India. As an aside, they only casually glanced at the test results and were more interested in this form and the US declaration form.
Old May 22, 21, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold
When I flew IAD-DOH-SAW which was my most recent QR trip, I had to fill this form plus the check-in agent took a photo of my COVID-19 test.
Pre-filling this form is not mandatory as if the passenger needs one, the ground staff would hand a copy alongside with a pen.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 22, 21, 8:08 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, United
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
Pre-filling this form is not mandatory as if the passenger needs one, the ground staff would hand a copy alongside with a pen.
Not necessary, but saved a lot of time at check-in when I did it for my first leg. I was also able to fill in the pdf on the computer and then just print and sign it making it neater as well.
Old May 23, 21, 6:34 am

Total newbies to Qatar and DOH.
Seeing conflicting information on a few points and hoping someone here might have updated information:

• JFK > DOH > MLE: Proof of vaccination covers PIR requirements for MLE, however how about DOH (given long lay over etc?).

• AMEX Centurion Lounges and/or Priority Pass options now back to operating at pandemic status?

• Qatar Airlines once offered the Qatar Stopover Program for long layovers.
1) Is this a viable option for 2021?
2) Does this program support baggage management and re-entry to airport to minimize delays/security requirements/risk of unknown issues for first timers at DOH/Qatar?
<https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016481953-What-is-the-Qatar-Stopover-programme->
Old May 23, 21, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by pixelrogue View Post
Seeing conflicting information on a few points and hoping someone here might have updated information:

JFK > DOH > MLE: Proof of vaccination covers PIR requirements for MLE, however how about DOH (given long lay over etc?).

AMEX Centurion Lounges and/or Priority Pass options now back to operating at pandemic status?

Qatar Airlines once offered the Qatar Stopover Program for long layovers.
2) Does this program support baggage management and re-entry to airport to minimize delays/security requirements/risk of unknown issues for first timers at DOH/Qatar?
<https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016481953-What-is-the-Qatar-Stopover-programme->
The State of Qatar doesn't require transit passengers to be vaccinated or have a negative Covid-19 test unless they're coming from certain high-risk countries eg. Philliphines, India, Pakistan.

The Stopover programme (STPC) is suspended until further notice due to Covid-19 and visitors are not allowed to enter the State of Qatar.
SamirD and pixelrogue like this.
Old May 23, 21, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC
The State of Qatar doesn't require transit passengers to be vaccinated or have a negative Covid-19 test unless they're coming from certain high-risk countries eg. Philliphines, India, Pakistan.

The Stopover programme (STPC) is suspended until further notice due to Covid-19 and visitors are not allowed to enter the State of Qatar.
Note that there is STPC as well as +Qatar, but both are suspended because the border is currently closed unless you are a citizen or resident or Qatar. For more chatter on this scroll up a bit to posting #4944 and subsequent replies.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 23, 21, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pixelrogue View Post

JFK > DOH > MLE: Proof of vaccination covers PIR requirements for MLE, however how about DOH (given long lay over etc?).

AMEX Centurion Lounges and/or Priority Pass options now back to operating at pandemic status?

Qatar Airlines once offered the Qatar Stopover Program for long layovers.
Check the Maldives carefully if you are going soon. The suspended the the no test required for vaccinated travellers again, and require PCR tests for all travellers.
SamirD likes this.
Old May 23, 21, 8:53 pm

Trip is a few months away...

Will keep an eye on changes.

The flight booking information states coach with non-selectable seats...which appears to indicate fees for seat selection (etc)

How does Quarar seat selection work?
How far in advance can the seats be selected/purchased? Basic rates?

Are there ways and/or tricks to minimize out-of-pocket expenses? Amex Plat - switch airline for credit? Presume there are more effective strategies.
SamirD likes this.

Search this Thread