Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Old Oct 13, 20, 8:19 am

Programs: Cathay Pacific, Hyatt
Lounge Access

What lounge would an OneWorld Emerald have access to when flying economy through Doha given the current lounge closures?
Old Oct 13, 20, 8:20 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
What lounge would an OneWorld Emerald have access to when flying economy through Doha given the current lounge closures?
A OWE traveling in Economy would be directed to use the Al Mourjan Lounge.
Old Oct 13, 20, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
A OWE traveling in Economy would be directed to use the Al Mourjan Lounge.
Just for the record ISTFlyer is correct based on current policy, but if the Business and First Class lounges reopen you would be going to the First Class lounge as OWE. Fingers crossed the current policy continues for when you fly.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 20, 9:19 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, A3 Gold, MH Plat, QR Plat
Booking fee refund on award tickets

I had recently tried to cancel an award booking made in January 2020 for December 2020 for KUL to Europe. At that time, the booking fee by segment was still in place.

Our government has prohibited travel outside the country. Similarly EU does not allow travel from here, according to Timatic and embassy.

They agree to refund the miles and taxes and also waive cancellation fees but will not refund the booking fees...any thoughts or would that be 200$ down the drain?

Thanks!
Old Oct 14, 20, 2:26 am

Programs: BAEC, Accor
Originally Posted by freddo View Post
I had recently tried to cancel an award booking made in January 2020 for December 2020 for KUL to Europe. At that time, the booking fee by segment was still in place.

Our government has prohibited travel outside the country. Similarly EU does not allow travel from here, according to Timatic and embassy.

They agree to refund the miles and taxes and also waive cancellation fees but will not refund the booking fees...any thoughts or would that be 200$ down the drain?

Thanks!
From the airlines point of view, they have certain packets of contracted work which have been fulfilled, and others that have not or cannot be fulfilled.

So you have had a refund for the points and taxes for the flight that you cannot fly due to entry restrictions; although this is not the airlines fault they recognise it as an involuntary change and have released you from the contract.

For the booking fee to process your original booking, the airline did what you asked them to do and you had the flights booked. The airline did their job, contract was fulfilled. The fact that the travel was subsequently cancelled due to mutual agreement does not impact upon the time and effort to book the tickets requested.

Whilst I can agree with you that it would be nice if they were to also refund the booking fee, you can also appreciate why they are not offering to do so. There are plenty of examples of service fees across the airline industry that are not refundable in the event of cancellation, so this is not an isolated example.

Old Oct 16, 20, 10:39 am

Would it be more expensive to only book the Oryx hotel once already at DOH vs booking prior to travel or does the rate stay relatively constant?
Old Oct 16, 20, 10:44 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Originally Posted by turtlelurker View Post
Would it be more expensive to only book the Oryx hotel once already at DOH vs booking prior to travel or does the rate stay relatively constant?
These days, the Oryx Airport Hotel is generally fully booked in advance so it would be safer if you have a reservation beforehand. By the way, the rates are constant if you book through the desk and their official website; although, booking via some OTA's might be cheaper than booking directly.
Old Oct 16, 20, 5:47 pm

These days, the Oryx Airport Hotel is generally fully booked in advance so it would be safer if you have a reservation beforehand. By the way, the rates are constant if you book through the desk and their official website; although, booking via some OTA's might be cheaper than booking directly.
Thank you for the quick response! Hotel is still fully booked with reduced flights due to Covid?
Old Oct 16, 20, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by turtlelurker View Post
Thank you for the quick response! Hotel is still fully booked with reduced flights due to Covid?
Yes, because Doha is not open to foreigners and with reduced flights the average transfer times are much higher than pre-COVID so this increases the demand for the airport hotel.
Old Oct 26, 20, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Transit at DOH

Am I allowed to transit at DOH currently as a UK citizen? I am considering flying from MAD to HND via DOH next May, which has a 6 hour layover at DOH. Advice please.
Old Oct 26, 20, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Originally Posted by higham44 View Post
Am I allowed to transit at DOH currently as a UK citizen? I am considering flying from MAD to HND via DOH next May, which has a 6 hour layover at DOH. Advice please.
No one really knows what happens in May, but under current rules you are allowed to transit in Doha, though unless you are a resident in Japan, or married to a Japanese citizen, basically not allowed to enter Japan.
Old Oct 26, 20, 8:53 am

There are no restrictions for transit in Qatar.
By the way, May is 7 months from now and I guess the transfer requirement would not change; however, as CPH-Flyer mentioned, please double-check the entry requirements for Japan before traveling.
Old Oct 26, 20, 9:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Currently you are allowed. I doubt that changes in 7 months
Old Oct 26, 20, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
There are no restrictions for transit in Qatar.
By the way, May is 7 months from now and I guess the transfer requirement would not change; however, as CPH-Flyer mentioned, please double-check the entry requirements for Japan before traveling.
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the current position re entry to Japan; I guess that I am just (overly) optimistic that there might be a shift in policy by May. If I do book (using QR's travel voucher) I hope that should the position be the same that I can, once again, exchange for another travel voucher with QR or change the flights' dates to later in the year. It's a gamble, I know.
Old Nov 8, 20, 7:32 am

hi all,
I booked business class tickets from Dublin to Bangkok via Doha in April 20 to fly in Feb 6/21 to March 1/21.
At the moment there is lockdown in Ireland and no entry into Thailand unless stv, and i do not really fancy being locked up in quarantine for upto 2 weeks.
Can someone please explain my options?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: