Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I am planning LAX-DOH-MLE on QR in J (R class) sometime in the next few months and wonder if I should credit the miles to my existing AA or CX program or my newly-opened QR Privilege Club account.

I have no status on AA or CX currently and am a QR newbie. It looks like all the programs have different earning and redeeming rates for miles, as well as elite qualification thresholds.

Any insight on the pros and cons of earning and redeeming miles on the QR program vs. AA or CX would be greatly appreciated.

I am Lifetime Gold on UA and do not need to chase status with Star Alliance. Going forward, I will choose airlines based on best value for money, mostly in J long haul and Y short haul. I like CX, have read great things about QR, and normally avoid AA if possible. Thanks.
Without asking about a lot of details in your travel patterns and aims of redemption. I would say accrue to AA.

The redemption rates are decent, miles do not expire with activity, searching and booking awards is very efficient even from the app. And if you already have miles with AA don't start splitting your funds in to additional OW programs.

The main argument against PC is probably the redemption rates.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Without asking about a lot of details in your travel patterns and aims of redemption. I would say accrue to AA.

The redemption rates are decent, miles do not expire with activity, searching and booking awards is very efficient even from the app. And if you already have miles with AA don't start splitting your funds in to additional OW programs.

The main argument against PC is probably the redemption rates.
Thanks, after playing around on QR's website today, I am tending towards accruing to AA as well. The QR website is so slow and wonky, it really is a test of patience and sanity. I used the Qcalculator on QR for LAX to MLE and got a very high mileage cost. On AA, it only cost 70k one way in J, although I don't know if award inventory is next to impossible to come by. It took me several tries to successfully book the tickets; the system bombed and I had to re-enter all the passenger details.

Experience with their US call center # has been terrible; I managed to reach one agent (in Doha), and he was nice and friendly, but I couldn't get through with follow-up calls and was on hold forever with no music or periodic announcement.

All in all, not a good first impression. Hope the inflight and ground service will make up for their shortcomings.
Old Oct 7, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
I am flying LAX-DOH-MLE in a few weeks, and I know that the One World Lounge is temporarily closed due to COVID. Will I be able to access the AA Admirals Club lounge in T4 since it's "OneWorld" or does access come only with OneWorld Status (I lost mine last year, so just a nobody on OneWorld these days)?

Also, I am on a J award ticket to DOH, but connecting to a Y award ticket to MLE. Will I still have lounge access in DOH based on my arrival J ticket?
Old Oct 7, 2020, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
I am flying LAX-DOH-MLE in a few weeks, and I know that the One World Lounge is temporarily closed due to COVID. Will I be able to access the AA Admirals Club lounge in T4 since it's "OneWorld" or does access come only with OneWorld Status (I lost mine last year, so just a nobody on OneWorld these days)?

Also, I am on a J award ticket to DOH, but connecting to a Y award ticket to MLE. Will I still have lounge access in DOH based on my arrival J ticket?
For LAX, you would be able to visit the AA Admirals Club despite having no status with only a J ticket.

For DOH, the answer in this thread did not change: Doha Lounge - Transit
If your onward flight to MLE is until 06:00 the following day after your arrival at DOH, you would be able to access the Al Mourjan Lounge if you present your LAX-DOH boarding pass at the lounge alongside with your DOH-MLE boarding pass. For example, if you arrived at DOH on 1 November 17:00, your flight to Male should depart before 2 November 06:00; otherwise no lounge access.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 1:39 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
For LAX, you would be able to visit the AA Admirals Club despite having no status with only a J ticket.

For DOH, the answer in this thread did not change: Doha Lounge - Transit
If your onward flight to MLE is until 06:00 the following day after your arrival at DOH, you would be able to access the Al Mourjan Lounge if you present your LAX-DOH boarding pass at the lounge alongside with your DOH-MLE boarding pass. For example, if you arrived at DOH on 1 November 17:00, your flight to Male should depart before 2 November 06:00; otherwise no lounge access.
...Or go to the OW Business Class lounge in LAX in the TBT. Another option would be to purchase a fully refundable AA flight from LAX-JFK in F to gain access to the Flagship Lounge or the Qantas F lounge.

You could of course then refund that ticket if you decide not to travel in F on AA from LAX-JFK.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
...Or go to the OW Business Class lounge in LAX in the TBT. Another option would be to purchase a fully refundable AA flight from LAX-JFK in F to gain access to the Flagship Lounge or the Qantas F lounge.

You could of course then refund that ticket if you decide not to travel in F on AA from LAX-JFK.
The QF and the OW Business Class Lounge's are closed for the long-run. As far as I heard, they would not open Australia open their borders ( with no quarantine ) and QF has a decent number of business travellers and elites on their AU flights.

Also, AA does not plan to re-open their Flagship Lounges for the while, so the OP is left with the Admirals Club.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Originally Posted by plunet
I would assume you are not going, but sit it out for a bit. If there is a any significant schedule change or a cancellation you will also have the option of a cash refund. On taking the voucher, there is an obvious risk that pricing for flights in the future is very much an unknown, and you are tied to QR.
I enjoy flying with QR due to quality of their Business in-flight experience. If I take a voucher and then book future flights, but the find that the destination countries are still closed to UK citizens at that future date would I be able to change the flight dates free of charge to a later date in 2021 or in 2022?
Old Oct 11, 2020, 2:20 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by higham44
I enjoy flying with QR due to quality of their Business in-flight experience. If I take a voucher and then book future flights, but the find that the destination countries are still closed to UK citizens at that future date would I be able to change the flight dates free of charge to a later date in 2021 or in 2022?
The problem you face is that no-one knows.

The way that Qatar appear to be approaching their book with confidence policy is that whatever confidence policy is currently in force is the policy that applies; not the policy in force when you booked the ticket. This has been noted that the previous policy of destination changes within 5000 miles no longer applies with the new policy that was introduced in October.

Qatar seem to be therefore applying the confidence policy as additional customer service gesture on top of their standard T&C's.

Having said all of the above, Qatar seem to be going the extra mile with their confidence policy at the moment. But they do have the right the change the policy with no notice.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:15 am

I have a question about BOS connection times-- If I am flying from YYZ to BOS to DOH, I believe a 2 hour connection is fine as I will be precleared in YYZ, but on the way back (DOH-BOS-YYZ) will 90 minutes be enough to clear US customs, move from Terminal E to Terminal B, and go through security again? There's another flight with a 210 minute connection but if there's any way that the 90 minute connection could work that would be heavily preferred. Thanks
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oreomilkshake
I have a question about BOS connection times-- If I am flying from YYZ to BOS to DOH, I believe a 2 hour connection is fine as I will be precleared in YYZ, but on the way back (DOH-BOS-YYZ) will 90 minutes be enough to clear US customs, move from Terminal E to Terminal B, and go through security again? There's another flight with a 210 minute connection but if there's any way that the 90 minute connection could work that would be heavily preferred. Thanks
Would all flights be on a single ticket? If so, you are protected in case of a missed connection.
If you are on a separate ticket, depending on the time you arrive at BOS, the connection might be doable as I remember that I had multiple occasions at BOS where I cleared immigration and claimed my bags in less than 10-15 minutes. Plus, if you need to check bags, you would need to do it so before the other airline's bag drop time limit and reclear security at Terminal B.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:30 am

yeah it's all on one QR ticket, YYZ-BOS and BOS-YYZ are AC Express flights. Would I still need to re-check all of my checked baggage at BOS if it's all on one ticket?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yeah it's all on one QR ticket, YYZ-BOS and BOS-YYZ are AC Express flights. Would I still need to re-check all of my checked baggage at BOS if it's all on one ticket?
On YYZ-BOS-DOH, you would not need to recheck your bags. Your bags would be checked through to your final destination.

On DOH-BOS-YYZ, you would have to recheck your bags as US law mandates passengers to collect their bags at their first point of arrival in the USA ( I guess MIA is the only exception for international transfer pax ). Although as you are in a single ticket, you would be able to head to the Qatar Airways baggage recheck desks after you clear customs and left the baggage reclaim area, and drop your baggage over there without stopping by the check-in counters.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:40 am

oh okay. thank you so much for the help. In this case, I guess it'd be smarter to choose the 90 minute connection, and if something is delayed I should be put on the next flight, right?
Old Oct 12, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh okay. thank you so much for the help. In this case, I guess it'd be smarter to choose the 90 minute connection, and if something is delayed I should be put on the next flight, right?
Yes, it would be smarter to choose the shorter connection as QR would be responsible in any delays including the wait at US immigration. If you miss the connection because of QR, they would rebook you on the next available flight.
Old Oct 12, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Yes, it would be smarter to choose the shorter connection as QR would be responsible in any delays including the wait at US immigration. If you miss the connection because of QR, they would rebook you on the next available flight.
awesome, thank you so much for the help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.