Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Old Sep 11, 20, 1:04 am
  #4576  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Posts: 405
Keep ticket or take voucher??

I have a scheduled flight from OSL to HND via DOH (with stopover on return) in October. As access to Qatar and Japan is a non-starter currently I am considering either keeping the ticket for use in 2021 or taking a travel voucher (with 10% value enhancement) - I am favouring the latter at the moment to give more more flexibility. I would welcome views on the pros and cons of each of the two options before I make my decision.
higham44 is offline  
Old Sep 11, 20, 9:19 pm
  #4577  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Istanbul, Turkey
Programs: TK M&S Elite Plus, QRPC Platinum, BAEC Silver, PC Bolbol, All Silv, HH Blue, Bonvoy, BW Rewards
Posts: 5,752
Originally Posted by higham44 View Post
I have a scheduled flight from OSL to HND via DOH (with stopover on return) in October. As access to Qatar and Japan is a non-starter currently I am considering either keeping the ticket for use in 2021 or taking a travel voucher (with 10% value enhancement) - I am favouring the latter at the moment to give more more flexibility. I would welcome views on the pros and cons of each of the two options before I make my decision.
It's all up to you,

If you take the voucher, you would pay less if you are certainly sure that you would travel next year with Qatar Airways.
If you cancel your ticket, you would have the flexibility to travel, you would have the option to rebook another airline.

These are what came to my mind.
ISTFlyer is offline  
Old Sep 12, 20, 12:13 am
  #4578  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kent, UK
Programs: BA Silver; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
Posts: 405
Cancelling the ticket would incur financial penalties as it would be classed as a voluntary cancellation. I am minded to take a voucher as I do plan to fly with QR next year (quarantine and entry conditions allowing), but I wanted to make sure from others' experiences that there are no significant limitations/restrictions to using the voucher when the time comes to rebook.
higham44 is offline  
Old Sep 12, 20, 2:50 am
  #4579  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LON
Programs: BAEC, Accor
Posts: 1,880
I would assume you are not going, but sit it out for a bit. If there is a any significant schedule change or a cancellation you will also have the option of a cash refund. On taking the voucher, there is an obvious risk that pricing for flights in the future is very much an unknown, and you are tied to QR.
plunet is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 8:06 am
  #4580  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by realgaga View Post
Just to add: The upgraded segments don't qualify for lounge access on its own (so you can't access QR's premium lounges).
I would still have lounge acces as an emerald member though and have access to the Al Mourian lounge atm along with 20 kg of extra checked baggage and other emerald benefits, correct?
Protocol7 is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 8:14 am
  #4581  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,991
Originally Posted by Protocol7 View Post
I would still have lounge acces as an emerald member though and have access to the Al Mourian lounge atm along with 20 kg of extra checked baggage and other emerald benefits, correct?
Yes all emerald benefits are in place. And AM is the lounge for all at the moment.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Sep 14, 20, 8:22 am
  #4582  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Elite
Posts: 101
Thanks for confirming that
Protocol7 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:15 pm
  #4583  
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Sacramento
Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 831
Have three separate bookings: ORD-DOH and DOH-LAX booked with AA miles, and DOH-MLE RT booked cash with QR. QR agent said bags will not check through, but that I will have no trouble collecting bags and checking into next flight in DOH, despite that Doha has travel restrictions in place (made it sound like I could accomplish everything airside) Can anyone confirm/deny this?
joecool1885 is offline  
Old Sep 15, 20, 12:22 pm
  #4584  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: HKG, BHX, MAN
Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Posts: 249
Originally Posted by joecool1885 View Post
Have three separate bookings: ORD-DOH and DOH-LAX booked with AA miles, and DOH-MLE RT booked cash with QR. QR agent said bags will not check through, but that I will have no trouble collecting bags and checking into next flight in DOH, despite that Doha has travel restrictions in place (made it sound like I could accomplish everything airside) Can anyone confirm/deny this?
Look at QR Interlining (Baggage)
realgaga is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 4:33 am
  #4585  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Programs: Privilege Club - Platinum
Posts: 21
Apologies if this has already been asked on the forum but I can't seem to find it. Is the Al Safwa lounge open at Doha Airport?
Alchemist007 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 4:43 am
  #4586  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,991
Originally Posted by Alchemist007 View Post
Apologies if this has already been asked on the forum but I can't seem to find it. Is the Al Safwa lounge open at Doha Airport?
No, closed at the moment. Only the Al Mourjan is open.
Alchemist007 and ISTFlyer like this.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 2:53 pm
  #4587  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,735
I am planning LAX-DOH-MLE on QR in J (R class) sometime in the next few months and wonder if I should credit the miles to my existing AA or CX program or my newly-opened QR Privilege Club account.

I have no status on AA or CX currently and am a QR newbie. It looks like all the programs have different earning and redeeming rates for miles, as well as elite qualification thresholds.

Any insight on the pros and cons of earning and redeeming miles on the QR program vs. AA or CX would be greatly appreciated.

I am Lifetime Gold on UA and do not need to chase status with Star Alliance. Going forward, I will choose airlines based on best value for money, mostly in J long haul and Y short haul. I like CX, have read great things about QR, and normally avoid AA if possible. Thanks.
sfvoyage is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 4:52 pm
  #4588  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tokyo
Programs: JMB Diamond Metal Card (OWE) , SAS Eurobonus Gold, (*G) Marriott Ambassador (LTP)
Posts: 11,991
Originally Posted by sfvoyage View Post
I am planning LAX-DOH-MLE on QR in J (R class) sometime in the next few months and wonder if I should credit the miles to my existing AA or CX program or my newly-opened QR Privilege Club account.

I have no status on AA or CX currently and am a QR newbie. It looks like all the programs have different earning and redeeming rates for miles, as well as elite qualification thresholds.

Any insight on the pros and cons of earning and redeeming miles on the QR program vs. AA or CX would be greatly appreciated.

I am Lifetime Gold on UA and do not need to chase status with Star Alliance. Going forward, I will choose airlines based on best value for money, mostly in J long haul and Y short haul. I like CX, have read great things about QR, and normally avoid AA if possible. Thanks.
Without asking about a lot of details in your travel patterns and aims of redemption. I would say accrue to AA.

The redemption rates are decent, miles do not expire with activity, searching and booking awards is very efficient even from the app. And if you already have miles with AA don't start splitting your funds in to additional OW programs.

The main argument against PC is probably the redemption rates.
CPH-Flyer is offline  
Old Oct 1, 20, 5:14 pm
  #4589  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 1,735
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer View Post
Without asking about a lot of details in your travel patterns and aims of redemption. I would say accrue to AA.

The redemption rates are decent, miles do not expire with activity, searching and booking awards is very efficient even from the app. And if you already have miles with AA don't start splitting your funds in to additional OW programs.

The main argument against PC is probably the redemption rates.
Thanks, after playing around on QR's website today, I am tending towards accruing to AA as well. The QR website is so slow and wonky, it really is a test of patience and sanity. I used the Qcalculator on QR for LAX to MLE and got a very high mileage cost. On AA, it only cost 70k one way in J, although I don't know if award inventory is next to impossible to come by. It took me several tries to successfully book the tickets; the system bombed and I had to re-enter all the passenger details.

Experience with their US call center # has been terrible; I managed to reach one agent (in Doha), and he was nice and friendly, but I couldn't get through with follow-up calls and was on hold forever with no music or periodic announcement.

All in all, not a good first impression. Hope the inflight and ground service will make up for their shortcomings.
sfvoyage is offline  
Old Oct 7, 20, 1:20 pm
  #4590  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: LAX
Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
Posts: 489
I am flying LAX-DOH-MLE in a few weeks, and I know that the One World Lounge is temporarily closed due to COVID. Will I be able to access the AA Admirals Club lounge in T4 since it's "OneWorld" or does access come only with OneWorld Status (I lost mine last year, so just a nobody on OneWorld these days)?

Also, I am on a J award ticket to DOH, but connecting to a Y award ticket to MLE. Will I still have lounge access in DOH based on my arrival J ticket?
FoxFlyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: