Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
Just looked at our upcoming Qsuite flights in June on EF and have noticed that more than half the seats are shown as blocked, also looked at economy and there are lots of seats shown as blocked in there also, is this normal practice?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Hello everyone.
traveling out of DFW with Qatar business to doh on 5/19. Are there any lounges open and available? Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: Qantas
Originally Posted by Lussac
Just looked at our upcoming Qsuite flights in June on EF and have noticed that more than half the seats are shown as blocked, also looked at economy and there are lots of seats shown as blocked in there also, is this normal practice?
@goingplacestogether, also keen to hear if these seats are available for purchasing as simply being blocked for seat selection, rather than a deliberate limiting of the plane's usual loading? Thinking about loads and chances of being able to purchase an upgrade on an upcoming flight...
Old May 14, 2020, 5:04 pm

Upgrade to Business

Hi all, I have two questions as this is the first time I fly Qatar (been with Emirates since almost 10 years). I am flying from Sydney to Munich via Doha and am interested in the Syd-Doh flight QR909 on the 28th of May.
1. The call operator mentioned, all award upgrades have already been taken. Is there a set quantity of these or is there a chance that they might allow for upgrades upon check-in if seats are available in general?
2. Will I be able to purchase missing miles (need an extra 28k miles for the family upgrade) at the check-in counter or is it better to purchase them before?

Thanks for your help all. I usually use expertflyer and know the EK systems in and out. Just new to Qatar and therefore thought this is best posted in the Newbie Lounge .

Best regards,

Armin
Old May 16, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: BA, Emirates,Qatar,Iberia,United
Hi.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but looking to hear from anyone for may have experience with the latest Qatar flexible rebooking policy released. As I've read it & understand it, I can book a flight for this year - and then change the destination to another one so long as it is less than 5000 miles away - crucially with no fare differential.

If I look at the cheapest place Qatar flies from London there are a few options, one of which, Basra, fits within 5000 miles to Cape Town, which is where I actually want to go. As best as I can see, I may as well book the cheaper flight and then change it - but it does seem to fall into the 'too good to be true' bucket....??? What am I missing or misunderstanding?

Appreciate there's a risk on all destinations not being open when we actually want to go but since Qatar are one of my favourite airlines I'm quite happy to take a credit for next year if it comes to that, though the policy is for a refund.

Thanks!
Old May 16, 2020, 6:29 pm

Look in the Covid rebooking thread(s) or over in the Pemium Deals forum for extended discussion on the 5,000 mile policy. What you say is basically correct, but there are multiple reports of some change destinations being not-bookable for no obvious reason. Sorry, I can't remember if Capetown was one.
Old May 18, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BA, Emirates,Qatar,Iberia,United
Thanks - reading now!
Old May 19, 2020, 6:07 pm

Programs: American - Platinum Pro, Marriott - Platinum
Refund estimate

I purchased a round-trip flight DFW-Delhi-DFW. The DFW-Delhi leg has been flown and Delhi-DFW leg is canceled.

The help desk reps are not able to estimate the refund, and they are saying simply that I can request a refund or move the date. It's important to have an accurate estimate of the refund before I can decide.

Any suggestions on the refund estimate?

Here is the ticket price breakup on my receipt Total Amount: USD 799.67:

Fare: USD 191.00

Taxes and Airline Imposed Fees:
USD 3.96XA
USD 7.00XY
USD 5.89YC
USD 18.60US
USD 18.60US
USD 5.60AY
USD 19.22G4
USD 1.00PZ
USD 8.30WO
USD 4.50XF

Carrier Imposed Fees:
SD 500.00YQ
USD 16.00YR
Old May 19, 2020, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by raj_cl
I purchased a round-trip flight DFW-Delhi-DFW. The DFW-Delhi leg has been flown and Delhi-DFW leg is canceled.

The help desk reps are not able to estimate the refund, and they are saying simply that I can request a refund or move the date. It's important to have an accurate estimate of the refund before I can decide.

Any suggestions on the refund estimate?

Here is the ticket price breakup on my receipt Total Amount: USD 799.67:

Fare: USD 191.00

Taxes and Airline Imposed Fees:
USD 3.96XA
USD 7.00XY
USD 5.89YC
USD 18.60US
USD 18.60US
USD 5.60AY
USD 19.22G4
USD 1.00PZ
USD 8.30WO
USD 4.50XF

Carrier Imposed Fees:
SD 500.00YQ
USD 16.00YR
It is almost impossible to guess how they will assign the fare and YQ between the outbound and inbound legs. Assuming that all flights were in the same booking class they could do it pro rata, but they could also reprice to a one way, and only refund the remaining part of the fare. Unless there are people with experience of a similar calculation, there is no knowing what they will do. for the taxes, all those related to the cancelled flights will be refunded.
Old May 21, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by tusho
Hi all, I have two questions as this is the first time I fly Qatar (been with Emirates since almost 10 years). I am flying from Sydney to Munich via Doha and am interested in the Syd-Doh flight QR909 on the 28th of May.
1. The call operator mentioned, all award upgrades have already been taken. Is there a set quantity of these or is there a chance that they might allow for upgrades upon check-in if seats are available in general?
2. Will I be able to purchase missing miles (need an extra 28k miles for the family upgrade) at the check-in counter or is it better to purchase them before?

Thanks for your help all. I usually use expertflyer and know the EK systems in and out. Just new to Qatar and therefore thought this is best posted in the Newbie Lounge .

Best regards,

Armin
1. QR award/upgrade availiblity is usually low, but, given the actual availability on that flight, there's a high chance you can use your Qmiles to upgrade at check-in (airport upgrade are usually available as long as there are seats available in business class).
2. AFAIK you can only buy Qmiles online on QR website, but they are very expensive ($30 to $35 per 1000 Qmiles). It would be cheaper to convert them from hotel/credit card points if you have any. Or you can try to get them for a cheaper price using the new book with confidence policy, buying a $280 plane ticket and asking for a refund in Qmiles (at 1000 Qmiles per $10), but I don't know if it can be processed in less than 1 week, before your flight.
Old May 21, 2020, 1:54 pm

Amazing, thanks so much for your answers!
Old May 23, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
quick question: I have a 13 hrs and a 18 hrs transit layover in DOH. Qatar is offering transit hotel and my fare does qualify. However, at the moment I cannot leave the airport due to COVID 19. I asked if they can put me up at the transit hotel in the airport, but they keep sending me templates and do not answer that question. Instead they tell me I can use the lounge but that is restricted to 6hrs.

- will QR give out rooms at the transit hotel ( very expensive place ! ) for paid C passengers ?
- are they serious and I can indeed only use the lounge for 6 hrs on a 13 or 18 hrs layover ?

Thank you
Old May 23, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by witthuus
quick question: I have a 13 hrs and a 18 hrs transit layover in DOH. Qatar is offering transit hotel and my fare does qualify. However, at the moment I cannot leave the airport due to COVID 19. I asked if they can put me up at the transit hotel in the airport, but they keep sending me templates and do not answer that question. Instead they tell me I can use the lounge but that is restricted to 6hrs.

- will QR give out rooms at the transit hotel ( very expensive place ! ) for paid C passengers ?
- are they serious and I can indeed only use the lounge for 6 hrs on a 13 or 18 hrs layover ?

Thank you
First, the 6-hour limit is only for paid entry, you would be eligible for the lounge via your status or your booking class so the 6-hour limit would not apply to you.
And, depending on availability at the transit hotel if you proceed to the hotel desk at HIA, opposite to transfer security, they could provide you a room. No chance to have it confirmed in advance. On a regular day, I had the airport hotel being offered on an Economy Class ticket ( 10h30min connection at DOH - no shorter connection available ) but I made the mistake of choosing the city hotel option and ending up in a 4-star hotel surrounded by car repair shops away from the city center.
witthuus likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
First, the 6-hour limit is only for paid entry, you would be eligible for the lounge via your status or your booking class so the 6-hour limit would not apply to you.
And, depending on availability at the transit hotel if you proceed to the hotel desk at HIA, opposite to transfer security, they could provide you a room. No chance to have it confirmed in advance. On a regular day, I had the airport hotel being offered on an Economy Class ticket ( 10h30min connection at DOH - no shorter connection available ) but I made the mistake of choosing the city hotel option and ending up in a 4-star hotel surrounded by car repair shops away from the city center.
great - thank you. Your responses are always very helpful for me - appreciate that
So they do provide the transit hotel, if available and no city entry possible ? That is good to know. I just made a reservation for the Hyatt Hotel for 18 hr transit through their layover program for just $28. In case the city is not open by mid June I will try to get the transit hotel. On my return trip 2 weeks later, I will definitely try to get the transit hotel, or if city is open any hotel they provide
Old May 23, 2020, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by witthuus
great - thank you. Your responses are always very helpful for me - appreciate that
So they do provide the transit hotel, if available and no city entry possible ? That is good to know. I just made a reservation for the Hyatt Hotel for 18 hr transit through their layover program for just $28. In case the city is not open by mid June I will try to get the transit hotel. On my return trip 2 weeks later, I will definitely try to get the transit hotel, or if city is open any hotel they provide
There is no guarantee that QR would offer you a room in the airport transit hotel. It depends on the availability of the airport hotel.
If the airport hotel is near capacity and there is no entry to the city for non-citizens, you would end up with the lounges and the public sleeping areas.

It's highly possible that I would travel via DOH in July with a forced long layover. If I do, I would report my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.