Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; EK Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by megatrix
I have a flight to catch from Helsinki by finnair on (business class) to head down to Prague. I will be arriving on business class via HK to Helsinki at 15:05pm Finland local time and then i have to catch the next smaller flight at 17:30pm Finland local time on the Finnair A320 (business class) My question is... do i actually get free accesses to any (Business lounge) ? and if so which one and what does it called. And do you think there be any free time o seat free and relax at a lounge when i arrive to Helsinki ? I will arrive to Prague by 18:40 Prague local time as it is the destination i will be going to,
I'm a little confused as you've posted this in the QR forum, but don't make your route particularly clear. I assume you're going HKG-DOH-HEL-PRG?

If that's the case and you're in business, you can access the Al Mourjan lounge at Doha.

At HEL, as you're travelling in business, you can access the Finnair business lounge. If you're flight arrives on time, you may get around an hour there.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I have a flight to catch from Helsinki by finnair on (business class) to head down to Prague. I will be arriving on business class via HK to Helsinki at 15:05pm Finland local time and then i have to catch the next smaller flight at 17:30pm Finland local time on the Finnair A320 (business class) My question is... do i actually get free accesses to any (Business lounge) ? and if so which one and what does it called. And do you think there be any free time o seat free and relax at a lounge when i arrive to Helsinki ? I will arrive to Prague by 18:40 Prague local time as it is the destination i will be going to,

However i am not a wings member and not a member of anything when it comes to Business class.. This just be a new thing for me on business class. So was wondering if i get a free access to business lounge.. if its in the international terminal or the domestic terminal i personally wouldn't no. Please let me know as i do like to plan things. Just dont't want feel too bored having to seat at a cafe or a bench for hours.. if unless there is no time for that other then a quick coffee near by cafeteria in the airport.

I dont have no information on my booking regards to any business lounge at all... plus don't have my boarding pass tickets yet o even find out as i don't travel until few months yet.
When you connect in Helsinki, you should go for connecting flights, initially there is a security check, and then you will need to walk for a bit for passport control to enter the Schengen area. You can use the Finnair Lounge in the Schengen area, it is above gate 23. So you can just follow the signs for connecting flights with gate 23. Prague will be departing from the Schengen area of the airport. Your business class boarding pass is enough to get access. They will be able to check your departing gate number, and let you know the walking time.

Helsinki is effective for connections, there should be time for a visit to the lounge, and it should not bee too crowded at those hours.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:51 am

Newbie Qatar question

Hello all,

This is my first post. I don't know alot about aviation and the terminology and airport abbreviations, but i have always had the unexplainable fascination for all things aviation that brought me to this forum!

I am flying business class with Qatar Heathrow - Doha - Bangkok - Samui (Bangkok Airways)

This may be a very silly question, but I am at Bangkok airport for 4 hours before my flight to Samui. All bookings were done on the Qatar website and I selected Business class all the way through (but i just got an email to say my flights to and from Samui are economy now as they have moved/cancelled flights)

Will I be allowed to use the Qatar business class lounge as I technically paid for a business trip on Qatar website from London to Samui? Or because that part of my trip is Bangkok airways and now downgraded to economy (although I am not sure Bangkok even has a business class on their A319) will I have to just hang around the Bangkok airport?

Sadly my layover in Doha is not long enough to go to the lounge on the way out, but on the way back home. I am so excited to be flying Qsuite on all 4 legs, 2 of them on A350-1000. Just hoping they dont change aircraft because of the virus problems. Thank you so much for any information
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:09 am

Welcome aboard!

Bangkok Airways (PG) have their own lounges for all passengers departing Bangkok (BKK). The standard lounge (nothing fancy at all, basic really) is included with economy tickets, but there is also a business lounge that you can pay to upgrade to. I can't remember how much that is.

By all means try your luck on the door but the chances of gaining access to the Qatar (QR) lounge on the way out are probably less than slim.

But you will be able to use it on the way back if you are departing in QR business, so that's something to look forward to.

There are also a number of pay to use lounges airside at BKK if you want to investigate those instead of the PG offerings.
Madmunch likes this.

Last edited by Johnnieboy; Mar 10, 2020 at 7:24 am
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:02 am
formerly JackDann

I'm doing a similar journey to you, Dublin - Doha - Bangkok - Chiang Rai in May. I've banked on access to the Qatar lounge being slim/none. As mentioned above, there are a number of Paid Lounges at Bangkok which would be worth looking into if you have a long layover (I think i've got 4 hours to kill before my Chiang Rai flight).

It's worth noting that if this was all done on one booking as Business with Qatar then you might be eligible for free access into the Bangkok Airways lounge.
Madmunch likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 3:53 am

The Qatar lounge is in the international departures area of the airport. Samui (and Chiang Rai) flights will leave from domestic departures so you won't have physical access to the lounge. The only paid lounge in domestic is the Blue Ribbon, which is also the Bangkok Airways premium passengers and elite FF lounge. If you can show you're ticketed in Business Class despite there being no Business Class on the flight, they might (should?) allow you in.
jinrop and Madmunch like this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Apologize for being out of the lounge topic.

OP paid for business class all the way through Koh Samui, and now OP was informed that BKK-Koh Samui is downgraded to Economy.
1. Shouldn't OP keep "business pax" status entitlement?
2. Did OP get some refund? Otherwise it will be an expensive economy ticket.
Madmunch likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
When you connect in Helsinki, you should go for connecting flights, initially there is a security check, and then you will need to walk for a bit for passport control to enter the Schengen area. You can use the Finnair Lounge in the Schengen area, it is above gate 23. So you can just follow the signs for connecting flights with gate 23. Prague will be departing from the Schengen area of the airport. Your business class boarding pass is enough to get access. They will be able to check your departing gate number, and let you know the walking time.

Helsinki is effective for connections, there should be time for a visit to the lounge, and it should not bee too crowded at those hours.

Thanks for that information. Is that in the domestic area? And could that lounge be the one i would use when i travel from Prague to Oulu ? If that is the exact lounge im thinking in Helsinki then that is easy to find. Its like just a few walks upstairs to that narrow kind of lounge. I could be wrong so please correct me if that is not the one. In this regards would my boarding pass also would have free invitation to the lounge ? this is when i arrive from HK to Helsinki and as i am flying out to Prague next.. I be on a business class on a smaller flight by finnair. And yes i be arriving by Business class from hk to helsinki on A350-900.

So over all making sure there is enough time o go to he lounge otherwise no point going there.. not sure how many hours that will be for me. I arrive around that 15:05 afternoon time to Helsinki. And the next flight is like 17:35 afternoon local time finland to fly to Prague next. Of course when my tickets say arrive to helsinki via Hk on A350 at 15:05 finland local time.. does not mean the plane lands exactly at that time as it may be perhaps 15 minutes late to land... maybe a few more minutes to even get out of the plane and so on... And then having to think that to catch the next flight at 17:35 finland local time to go to Prague means i have to be in that terminal gate 1 hour before departure.. encase the airliner wants passengers to board the plane sooner then later.. So you still think there is enough time for a lounge ? Just don't want to pay a lounge if there will only be 1 hour of enjoyment to that.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by aritrixa
Apologize for being out of the lounge topic.

OP paid for business class all the way through Koh Samui, and now OP was informed that BKK-Koh Samui is downgraded to Economy.
1. Shouldn't OP keep "business pax" status entitlement?
2. Did OP get some refund? Otherwise it will be an expensive economy ticket.
The last leg is not a downgrade. That leg does not offer Business class, because it is operated by Bangkok Airways. The fact that the entire journey is on multiple cabins should have been flagged up at the booking stage.
kq747 likes this.

Last edited by Yanshuf; Mar 12, 2020 at 2:21 am
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:52 pm

Megatrix:
  1. The Schengen area is the domestic area. It is used for flights departing to other Finnish airports, and to airports outside of Finland but in the Schengen zone e.g. Prague.
  2. Yes, you use the same lounge when travelling Prague - Helsinki - Oulu, as long as you either have Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status, or you are flying business class.
  3. Your boarding pass may not have any lounge access rights printed on it, but if you are flying business class, it does enable you to enter the lounge.
  4. The fact that you arrive into Helsinki on business class means that you can use the Hong Kong - Helsinki boarding pass to enter the lounge before your Helsinki - Prague flight, even if the Helsinki - Prague flight is on economy class.
  5. An arrival time of 15.05 means that the plane is expected to open its doors for you to disembark at 15.05.
  6. You may not have to be at the boarding gate for your Helsinki - Prague flight one hour before. This depends on several factors. Check the screens inside the airport for the departure flights, and you will see a message saying "Boarding" or similar, and it is at that point that you walk to the gate. The lounge may also make annoucements, but many lounges do not make any annoucements at all, so you must always check the screens regularly.
  7. You can board any aircraft, only when you are allowed to do so by the gate staff; you can't choose your own time. If you want to board earlier, talk to the gate staff and ask.
  8. You should get more than 1 hour inside the lounge before the Helsinki - Prague flight, as long as your flight from Hong Kong lands on time.

Last edited by Yanshuf; Mar 11, 2020 at 1:49 pm
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: SQ KF, Marriott Bonvoy, GA Miles, QR Privilege
Ah, OK. Noted.
My bad in misintepreting OP posting, as OP mentioned about flight cancellation (?)
Thank you!!
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yanshuf
Megatrix:
  1. The Schengen area is the domestic area. It is used for flights departing to other Finnish airports, and to airports outside of Finland but in the Schengen zone e.g. Prague.
  2. Yes, you use the same lounge when travelling Prague - Helsinki - Oulu, as long as you either have Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald status, or you are flying business class.
  3. Your boarding pass may not have any lounge access rights printed on it, but if you are flying business class, it does enable you to enter the lounge.
  4. The fact that you arrive into Helsinki on business class means that you can use the Hong Kong - Helsinki boarding pass to enter the lounge before your Helsinki - Prague flight, even if the Helsinki - Prague flight is on economy class.
  5. An arrival time of 15.05 means that the plane is expected to open its doors for you to disembark at 15.05.
  6. You may not have to be at the boarding gate for your Helsinki - Prague flight one hour before. This depends on several factors. Check the screens inside the airport for the departure flights, and you will see a message saying "Boarding" or similar, and it is at that point that you walk to the gate. The lounge may also make annoucements, but many lounges do not make any annoucements at all, so you must always check the screens regularly.
  7. You can board any aircraft, only when you are allowed to do so by the gate staff; you can't choose your own time. If you want to board earlier, talk to the gate staff and ask.
  8. You should get more than 1 hour inside the lounge before the Helsinki - Prague flight, as long as your flight from Hong Kong lands on time.

Thank you so much for that information. It helps a lot.
And only if my flight from Hk to Helsinki gets me to Helsinki on time. As we all know or at least each time i travel it nevers lands exactly the same time that my ticket say. For example land to helsinki at 15:05 finland time but ok sure the flight might got thetre 15minutes late or 15minutes earlier. But the fact it takes another 20minutes or more to actually get everyone out of the plane. So ill give that a good 40minute in total until im free to do so with the rest.

Thanks again this one has been answered so thanks many more.

I have another question i like to ask but this time is actually in Hong Kong airport from Australia. I be flying on a Cathay Pacific airline (economy) arrival at Hong kong at: 07:10am morning local HK time. I have a Finnair to catch on Business class A350-900 at 10:25am morning HK local time. Since i have a business class to catch. Can i go for free or which Lounge i have to go to in HK airport? And only if you believe there is time for that at all.. Otherwise no point paying expensive lounges if there wont be much time oher then just have a coffee at a cafetaria around the airport instead. So if i could.. which lounge should i be going and is it free ? and or will my boarding pass ticket mentioned lounge in HK at all ? Remember i be arriving to HK on economy by Cathay pacific.. but i have a Finnair flight to catch on BSUINESS CLASS next.. to go to Helsinki. Please let me know so that i can understand this part. Thought i would ask to take the opportunity with all this lounges, some airports can be a major headache if just looking at the same shops for hours.. (depending if this fltight im catching is enough time or not) Let me know thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Thank you so much for that information. It helps a lot.
And only if my flight from Hk to Helsinki gets me to Helsinki on time. As we all know or at least each time i travel it nevers lands exactly the same time that my ticket say. For example land to helsinki at 15:05 finland time but ok sure the flight might got thetre 15minutes late or 15minutes earlier. But the fact it takes another 20minutes or more to actually get everyone out of the plane. So ill give that a good 40minute in total until im free to do so with the rest.

Thanks again this one has been answered so thanks many more.

I have another question i like to ask but this time is actually in Hong Kong airport from Australia. I be flying on a Cathay Pacific airline (economy) arrival at Hong kong at: 07:10am morning local HK time. I have a Finnair to catch on Business class A350-900 at 10:25am morning HK local time. Since i have a business class to catch. Can i go for free or which Lounge i have to go to in HK airport? And only if you believe there is time for that at all.. Otherwise no point paying expensive lounges if there wont be much time oher then just have a coffee at a cafetaria around the airport instead. So if i could.. which lounge should i be going and is it free ? and or will my boarding pass ticket mentioned lounge in HK at all ? Remember i be arriving to HK on economy by Cathay pacific.. but i have a Finnair flight to catch on BSUINESS CLASS next.. to go to Helsinki. Please let me know so that i can understand this part. Thought i would ask to take the opportunity with all this lounges, some airports can be a major headache if just looking at the same shops for hours.. (depending if this fltight im catching is enough time or not) Let me know thanks.
Are you actually flying Qatar Airways at all, or should we have all of these questions moved to the Finnair forum. Most of us in this forum probably know the answers to these questions as well, but often it is more efficient to ask in a forum associated with the airlines that you are flying.

Basically, an international business class departure gives lounge access. There are a few exceptions with small strange airports where there may not be a lounge at all, but even most small airports have some resemblance of a lounge. But in major hubs like Hong Kong, or airline home hubs like Helsinki, there will always be a lounge for business class passengers. Even Prague is plenty big enough for having lounges.
Having more than 3 hours between flights in Hong Kong will allow you plenty of time to visit a lounge. Cathay will be happy to check baggage through across separate tickets if needed. They may not be able to print you boarding pass, but you can get one at the transfer desks in Hong Kong, before proceeding to transfer security.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:46 am

Megatrix,
As CPH-Flyer said, your question needs to be redirected to the Finnair forum. I can tell you that Finnair directs its customers starting their journey in HKG to the Qantas Hong Kong Lounge. However, as you are flying in Business class from HKG to HEL, you can use any of the OneWorld business class lounges. In HKG, that means the Pier and the Wing, both of which are operated by Cathay Pacific. Keep in mind that there is considerable distance between these lounges, and not all of them may be open given the current reduced flight schedule.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Are you actually flying Qatar Airways at all, or should we have all of these questions moved to the Finnair forum. Most of us in this forum probably know the answers to these questions as well, but often it is more efficient to ask in a forum associated with the airlines that you are flying.

Basically, an international business class departure gives lounge access. There are a few exceptions with small strange airports where there may not be a lounge at all, but even most small airports have some resemblance of a lounge. But in major hubs like Hong Kong, or airline home hubs like Helsinki, there will always be a lounge for business class passengers. Even Prague is plenty big enough for having lounges.
Having more than 3 hours between flights in Hong Kong will allow you plenty of time to visit a lounge. Cathay will be happy to check baggage through across separate tickets if needed. They may not be able to print you boarding pass, but you can get one at the transfer desks in Hong Kong, before proceeding to transfer security.

I think i might be getting the all boarding passes tickets from Australia to Hk obviously since i have to get onto cathey pacific.. this bookings is all by finnair company. Anyways from Hk another boarding pass ticket to Helsinki and im sure another boarding pass ticket Helsinki to Prague... all in the day of departing from Australia.. Unless it doesnt work like that. So at the starting point a pssanger needs all these boarding passes.. My luggages are going straight to Prague... I do not have to pick them up manually in Hk and else where.. they go straight to Prague to the destination i be going. So im guessing i be getting 3 boarding passes printed out at the airport i think starting from australia that is Australia to HK and another HK to Helsinki and final fluight HK to Prague.. total 3 boarding pass. Unless i just get 2 i wouldnt no... I think from my last experience i did got all of them as i went to berlin via finnair flights from asia on economy. Anyways my luggage's goes straight to Prague.

But all i wanted to know what which lounge can i go to in Hk. if its 3 hours wait.. then i might as well have a 2 hour visit lounge.. I be flying Cathey pacific from australia to HK on economy only. But then i have to catch the Finnair in HK on Business class.. as i have to go to Helsinki... and eventually to Prague. So in regards to the question about Hongkong airport... i wouldn't no if i have to even book or reserve online a lounge..... unless its free no one seems to know this? Uusally i just pay to enter a lounge in HK since i always have flown on economy all the way to europe with finnair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.