Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Busybee44
Hi,

I'm brand new to FlyerTalk and still trying to understand how it all works

I have to fly to Male for work and sadly they are not paying for a business ticket. Unfortunately my AA points / Amex (US) points will not transfer over. Any tips and tricks for getting upgraded? Also, does Qatar allow you the ability to look at available seats? I have some flexibility with my dates so I'd like to book on a ticket with the best chance of an upgrade.

Finally, can you purchase day passes to the lounge in Doha? I've seemingly found mixed information on this one.

Thanks in advance
Sometimes you will be offered the possibility to upgrade online and then you usually get an email. You can always ask at check-in for a cash upgrade.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Caroline Scott
Hopefully this is an appropriate place for this post! I'm seeing a premium fare from Madrid - Tokyo for about 4200 euro (the leg between Doha and Tokyo is in Qsuites).....this is very much at the top (or, technically surpassing!) end of our budget, but know that getting to Japan is business is expensive no matter how you cut it. Is this a notably good fare for Qatar? Am I likely to see anything better? Is this so good that I should jump on it right away or is there some consistency with a 4k premium fare from Europe to Japan? Thanks!
It is still expensive. Qatar offered Belgrad to Japan for just over 1400€. Emirates had a sale in July from Amsterdam to Japan for 1830€.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Hopefully this is an appropriate place for this post! I'm seeing a premium fare from Madrid - Tokyo for about 4200 euro (the leg between Doha and Tokyo is in Qsuites).....this is very much at the top (or, technically surpassing!) end of our budget, but know that getting to Japan is business is expensive no matter how you cut it. Is this a notably good fare for Qatar? Am I likely to see anything better? Is this so good that I should jump on it right away or is there some consistency with a 4k premium fare from Europe to Japan? Thanks!
What period are you looking at? If in connection with New Year, cherry blossom season or the Olympics, don't expect any bargains. Other periods something may come along. 4200 is expensive even when starting in Japan, and we have quite high prices over here.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
What period are you looking at? If in connection with New Year, cherry blossom season or the Olympics, don't expect any bargains. Other periods something may come along. 4200 is expensive even when starting in Japan, and we have quite high prices over here.
oh man - I omitted some very important info. The 4200 is for two tickets!

thank you! It would be in May. We are actually based in Madrid, so not having to fly to another hub certainly sweetens the deal.

Last edited by Caroline Scott; Nov 3, 2019 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
oh man - I omitted some very important info. The 4200 is for two tickets!

thank you! It would be in May. We are actually based in Madrid, so not having to fly to another hub certainly sweetens the deal.
That does make the price quite good. 2100 per person, is worth taking in my opinion.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: None
I'm sorry if this had been discussed before. On my ORD-DOH-BKK trip in March 2019 (all four legs in J; three in Qsuites), I was not able to run YouTube videos on my iPhone or iPad. However, Speedtest shows 8-10 Mbps of Wi-Fi strength, which should be adequate. I was able to browse internet, though. I tried running the YouTube app directly and from the Chrome/Safari browsers, but both in fail. Also, Spotify did not work, as I love it when drifting to sleep. I am wondering if QR is blocking YouTube, Spotify, or other similar sites/apps. If yes, what's the hack? Will running a VPN help? In December, I will be on my ORD-DOH-BKK trip again (all four legs in J; three in Qsuites). Hence, the desire to solve this very (first-world) problem.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by sapientia
Sometimes you will be offered the possibility to upgrade online and then you usually get an email. You can always ask at check-in for a cash upgrade.
Thanks for the tip. Is it possible to see seat availability on Qatar anywhere?
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rahman99000
I'm sorry if this had been discussed before. On my ORD-DOH-BKK trip in March 2019 (all four legs in J; three in Qsuites), I was not able to run YouTube videos on my iPhone or iPad. However, Speedtest shows 8-10 Mbps of Wi-Fi strength, which should be adequate. I was able to browse internet, though. I tried running the YouTube app directly and from the Chrome/Safari browsers, but both in fail. Also, Spotify did not work, as I love it when drifting to sleep. I am wondering if QR is blocking YouTube, Spotify, or other similar sites/apps. If yes, what's the hack? Will running a VPN help? In December, I will be on my ORD-DOH-BKK trip again (all four legs in J; three in Qsuites). Hence, the desire to solve this very (first-world) problem.
Generally, airlines block streaming services, as the connection does not have the bandwidth to have a lot of passengers streaming video.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Generally, airlines block streaming services, as the connection does not have the bandwidth to have a lot of passengers streaming video.
Thanks for the heads up. BTW, when I flew Turkish Airlines last year (2018), Wi-Fi was free for all J passengers and I was able to watch YouTube videos most of the time. The passenger on my side even conducted a FaceTime video chat until a FA told him to cut it. Indeed, blocking video streaming makes sense, given the limited bandwidth on the air. However, music streaming (Spotify) is not that bandwidth hogging and could be allowed, given the state-of-the-satellite technology. I'm sure someone knows a workaround.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:10 pm

Hello. First time Qatar flyer. Managed to get a relatively reasonable R fare (business) for a LAX-MLE trip. I assume it was "cheap" bc of the15 hr layover/stopover in Doha on our itinerary. There are a few scheduled DIA-MLE flights well before our schedule departure on the following day. Assuming there is open inventory, I was wondering if anyone was aware of past history of QR honoring requests to shorten layover / change flights to an earlier departure? When is best to make that request? At LAX or while on layover in DIA?

Lounge Access question : On on R class ticket with One World Emerald status. Will we be able to access the first class / Al Safwa lounge?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sky_throwaway; Nov 4, 2019 at 7:39 pm Reason: added description of R class
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
Hello. First time Qatar flyer. Managed to get a relatively reasonable R fare (business) for a LAX-MLE trip. I assume it was "cheap" bc of the15 hr layover/stopover in Doha on our itinerary. There are a few scheduled DIA-MLE flights well before our schedule departure on the following day. Assuming there is open inventory, I was wondering if Qatar has honored requests to shorten layover / change flights to an earlier departure? When is best to make that request? At LAX or while on layover in DIA?

Lounge Access question : On on R class ticket with One World Emerald status. Will we be able to access the first class / Al Safwa lounge?

Thanks in advance!
No Al Safawa access for OWE, if you are Platinum with QR yes or if you pay 600 QAR.
sky_throwaway likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sky_throwaway
Hello. First time Qatar flyer. Managed to get a relatively reasonable R fare (business) for a LAX-MLE trip. I assume it was "cheap" bc of the15 hr layover/stopover in Doha on our itinerary. There are a few scheduled DIA-MLE flights well before our schedule departure on the following day. Assuming there is open inventory, I was wondering if anyone was aware of past history of QR honoring requests to shorten layover / change flights to an earlier departure? When is best to make that request? At LAX or while on layover in DIA?

Thanks in advance!
My personal experience and also reported by others on here is that QR will permit changes to shorten your layover, but they will fully impose the change fees as per your fare rules, even on the day. The exception will be if there is a schedule change of more than 2 hours in which case you will have a good chance to reschedule yourself to a better time/date and even to alternative airports within 500 miles of those booked originally. Or if there is IRROPS on the day you again will usually find that QR is quite flexible.

There is a "first class" lounge that is available to OWE traveling on status only, but it's not Al Safwa and is generally dismissed on here. Just go to Al M and be done with it unless you wish to pay to upgrade to Al S or QR Plat.

Enjoy your flights!
sky_throwaway likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: AA ExP, DL, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
EC261 compensation for multiple cancellations on same trip?

please delete, wrong forum

Last edited by shellyphl; Nov 6, 2019 at 5:58 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:29 am

Just to update on my own experience on 26 Oct, the No1 Lounge menu was as the one posted by rcanter .
Check in desks at EDI did not open until 3 hours 15 mins before take off time. At least 30 passengers were already waiting in the queue by that time. There are only a handful of seats available in the check in area.

Last edited by Yanshuf; Nov 8, 2019 at 4:32 am Reason: Missing info
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Yanshuf
Just to update on my own experience on 26 Oct, the No1 Lounge menu was as the one posted by rcanter .
Check in desks at EDI did not open until 3 hours 15 mins before take off time. At least 30 passengers were already waiting in the queue by that time. There are only a handful of seats available in the check in area.
I was a week or so before you and check in opened 3 hours exactly prior to departure. I was in the J/Plat/Gold etc queue and the agent there took an extra 5 or 10 minutes to sort himself out. No.1 favourite breakfast roll as pictured and interestingly a hoarding outside announcing an (other) Aspire Lounge opening anytime now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.