Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jj88jj
Is there anywhere where I can sell my Qmiles or can I somehow exchange them to Finnair PLUS points?
Selling/Trading would be against the Terms & Conditions of the program.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; Virgin FF; United Airlines; American Airlines; and was frequent c/c churner - RIP!
I am considering stopping over in DOH on way back from SIN to ARN for a couple of days (instead of just passing through the airport) to see what Qatar has to offer. If I do, can I take advantage of QR's hotel offers or are these just for people with long transit stops? Advice welcome.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by higham44
I am considering stopping over in DOH on way back from SIN to ARN for a couple of days (instead of just passing through the airport) to see what Qatar has to offer. If I do, can I take advantage of QR's hotel offers or are these just for people with long transit stops? Advice welcome.
Yes you can. Just read the +Qatar thread
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:43 am

Are there any catches to look out for when booking "R" fares, except for change fees etc?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by ft101
Are there any catches to look out for when booking "R" fares, except for change fees etc?
Check the earnings in the program you plan to accrue to. It may not be full business class earnings. It is is the programs I use AA and JL. But better safe than sorry.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I would probably go for AA. Since you already have miles there, and if you are not a very frequent traveller, splitting between Oneworld programs just means you get nowhere in terms of potential awards.

QRs own program har prohibitively expensive redemotions and very few redeeming features.
Thanks! I'm probably going to do that!
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Hi all, looking to fly Qatar to or from Europe/Doha to either Australia (MEL, SYD, BNE, ADL) or AKL. This trip will be this coming late December (over Christmas). Across all of the routes, I'm finding virtually no award space available (AA miles are my currency). Does QR have some type of blackout for award availability over the Christmas timing? Or am I just getting unlucky?
Old Jul 5, 2019, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Hi all, looking to fly Qatar to or from Europe/Doha to either Australia (MEL, SYD, BNE, ADL) or AKL. This trip will be this coming late December (over Christmas). Across all of the routes, I'm finding virtually no award space available (AA miles are my currency). Does QR have some type of blackout for award availability over the Christmas timing? Or am I just getting unlucky?
Last month I was able to spot DOH-ADL ( and the other way ) on various dates such as ( 24/12, 25/12, 31/12 ) but I assume that you don't want to fly on these dates. By the way currency was BA Avios but the availability should be the same.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 3:06 pm

December is notoriously tough for award space across all programs and currencies.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Last month I was able to spot DOH-ADL ( and the other way ) on various dates such as ( 24/12, 25/12, 31/12 ) but I assume that you don't want to fly on these dates. By the way currency was BA Avios but the availability should be the same.
Got it, thanks. ADL is the one city I’ve found some availability for. I was manly curious as I’m also considering flying Etihad and I’m finding far more availability most of the cities above in that 18/12 to 1/1 date range.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Hello everyone -- I'd like to look forward to my first flight on Qatar, assuming I can get what I can see on ITA. I'm attempting to book a domestic USA flight on AA in F, then book business class from the USA to CMB. Also a 2 day stopover in DOH would be great. I would like to book directly with Qatar and am not interested in using an OTA, based on recent experience. Do I need to call Qatar's phone call center to do this? This would be a cash purchase and not an award booking. I seem to dimly recall in a previous post that mixed class bookings could only be done using the telephone, but now I can't find anything by searching, except search results that relate to award bookings. Thanks in advance for any comments.

edited to add: multicity option on Qatar’s website doesn’t work, I assume because the first flight is a domestic AA flight not offered by Qatar. I am able to book the entire roundtrip on Qatar’s website in economy, but not in business/first.

Last edited by Bago'peanuts; Jul 7, 2019 at 6:30 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: QR Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Hello everyone -- I'd like to look forward to my first flight on Qatar, assuming I can get what I can see on ITA. I'm attempting to book a domestic USA flight on AA in F, then book business class from the USA to CMB. Also a 2 day stopover in DOH would be great. I would like to book directly with Qatar and am not interested in using an OTA, based on recent experience. Do I need to call Qatar's phone call center to do this? This would be a cash purchase and not an award booking. I seem to dimly recall in a previous post that mixed class bookings could only be done using the telephone, but now I can't find anything by searching, except search results that relate to award bookings. Thanks in advance for any comments.

edited to add: multicity option on Qatar’s website doesn’t work, I assume because the first flight is a domestic AA flight not offered by Qatar. I am able to book the entire roundtrip on Qatar’s website in economy, but not in business/first.
The problem some people had with mixed class ticket was when they tried to mix Biz and Eco flights.
You should not have the same problem because when booking a Biz international ticket with a connecting intra USA flight, you will get a intra USA First class connecting flight (because there's almost no Biz intra USA flights), so just try to book a simple return ticket and QR website should offer you various combinations mixing AA (and other QR partners in US like B6 and AS) First class (be careful it's first class because if first is sold out on that flight you might end with an eco flight) and QR flights.

Last edited by Matt4; Jul 8, 2019 at 12:39 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by Matt4

The problem some people had with mixed class ticket was when they tried to mix Biz and Eco flights.
You should not have the same problem because when booking a Biz international ticket with a connecting intra USA flight, you will get a intra USA First class connecting flight (because there's almost no Biz intra USA flights), so just try to book a simple return ticket and QR website should offer you various combinations mixing AA (and other QR partners in US like B6 and AS) First class (be careful it's first class because if first is sold out on that flight you might end with an eco flight) and QR flights.
Matt, thanks for your reply. I spent many frustrating hours on Qatar's website; I could easily find flights I wanted on Expedia but kept running into dead ends when attempting to book directly through Qatar's website. Either flights with US-domestic first and international business weren't available to even choose, or the website was incapable of calculating a fare on those rare occasions I did see that mix. Then I downloaded their app and booked exactly what I wanted in minutes. All in all, a good outcome.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:27 am

If I have 2 $10k RT US to Asia business class tickets coming up, am I better to code those to AAdvantage (Executive Plat, ~1M miles), or create a Qatar account? Like the Qatar product better than AA and would look to fly them for personal use - the AA award availability is obviously minimal though.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Dn10
If I have 2 $10k RT US to Asia business class tickets coming up, am I better to code those to AAdvantage (Executive Plat, ~1M miles), or create a Qatar account? Like the Qatar product better than AA and would look to fly them for personal use - the AA award availability is obviously minimal though.
Yes, the QR onboard product is superior, far superior, to that of AA. But the earn/burn ratio in AAdvantage is far better than that of QRPC. So consider doing what I do, -- I fly QR and credit to AA. You didn't mention how much you fly QR, but the earn/burn ratio is so terrible that I'd say that ti doesn't even matter. My advice is not even to consider QRPC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.