Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:33 pm

Hi.

Trying an AA award, MCT-MLA, business, 42,500 miles.

I can book on AA.COM, but the desired flight combination does not work, but shows 42,500 miles, includes MCT-DOH QR Z class.

I found the individual flights that have availability - MCT/DOH DOH/LGW LGW/MLA and AA rep agrees that all are available. She tries to book and it comes to 62,500 miles because of the MCT/DOH being in Z class. I did a 'hold' booking on AA.COM and gave her the record locator to prove the 42,500 miles. Still on hold with her; her 2nd call to the help desk.

As an aside, rep alternated reasons of 42,500 vs. 62,500 - one being booking class Z and the other being that LGW/MLA is a separate award.

1) Anyway to convince rep of 42,500 miles being correct?

2) In worse case, I do MCT/DOH in Economy. While I'd love to have F lounge access in DOH for a few hours, are there any other disadvantages of a 90 minute or so long flight, prior to arriving at DOH, i.e. would I still have the same luggage allowance, priority boarding, etc. at MCT?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
Hi.

I can book on AA.COM, but the desired flight combination does not work, but shows 42,500 miles, includes MCT-DOH QR Z class.

I found the individual flights that have availability - MCT/DOH DOH/LGW LGW/MLA and AA rep agrees that all are available. She tries to book and it comes to 62,500 miles because of the MCT/DOH being in Z class. I did a 'hold' booking on AA.COM and gave her the record locator to prove the 42,500 miles. Still on hold with her; her 2nd call to the help desk.

As an aside, rep alternated reasons of 42,500 vs. 62,500 - one being booking class Z and the other being that LGW/MLA is a separate award.

2) In worse case, I do MCT/DOH in Economy. While I'd love to have F lounge access in DOH for a few hours, are there any other disadvantages of a 90 minute or so long flight, prior to arriving at DOH, i.e. would I still have the same luggage allowance, priority boarding, etc. at MCT?

Thanks!
UPDATE - After 90 minutes on the phone with a very pleasant, patient rep, and two calls to the help desk, she booked my trip on the desired flights, but she claims that QR would not allow the LGW/MLA segment as it 'exceeded allowable miles', so the LGW/MLA became a separate award J class BA award. I hated to spend the additional 22,500 miles, but it is what it is. But, does this sound correct or not?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: Some
UPDATE - After 90 minutes on the phone with a very pleasant, patient rep, and two calls to the help desk, she booked my trip on the desired flights, but she claims that QR would not allow the LGW/MLA segment as it 'exceeded allowable miles', so the LGW/MLA became a separate award J class BA award. I hated to spend the additional 22,500 miles, but it is what it is. But, does this sound correct or not?
I am not intimately familiar with the rules of AA's programme but I understand it is based on distance of the total itinerary with quite a lot of flexibility in terms of routing. QR's and BA's programmes both typically price based on individual segments (with some exceptions for e.g. complex multi-non-BA carrier itineraries booked through BA, etc.), so are quite different from AA. The allowable miles comment sounds like it was something to do with AA's routing restrictions rather than anything to do with QR, in any case, whether on not a BA J class award could be added to an AA redemption ticket or not doesn't sound like anything QR would have control over to me. Sounds like more a question for the AA forum, but if this were a redemption itinerary being booked through either QR or BA it would be correct that the additional BA flight LGW-MLA would increase the cost of the redemption. Not sure if you're already aware of this, but QR will shortly start flying to MLA direct from DOH (from 4th June I believe), so if the dates work for you might be worth bearing this in mind as this will probably lower the price of the redemption and significantly decrease the time it takes to get there. One final point worth mentioning is BA often has very competitive fares to MLA from LGW in non-flex J (we're talking around Ł250 return) so it could make sense to just book a separate cash ticket rather than a redemption on BA if you don't mind losing the flexibility to cancel. Hope this is helpful!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 11:16 pm

Hi.

Thanks!
On your second question here, I'm afraid a MCT-DOH booking in any class would not qualify you for access to Al Safwa (the F class lounge I'm assuming you're referring to). For shorthaul flights (less than 6 hours), you will only receive access to Al Safwa on a leg from DOH, unless you are connecting from a flight above 6 hours in F in specific situations where an exception applies. Your DOH-LGW segment in J will entitle you to access Al Mourjan (the J class lounge), which is still a very good lounge by global standards. Assuming the rest of the question on MCT-DOH in Y doesn't apply as sounds like you managed to get this to ticket into Z class.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I am not intimately familiar with the rules of AA's programme but I understand it is based on distance of the total itinerary with quite a lot of flexibility in terms of routing. QR's and BA's programmes both typically price based on individual segments (with some exceptions for e.g. complex multi-non-BA carrier itineraries booked through BA, etc.), so are quite different from AA. The allowable miles comment sounds like it was something to do with AA's routing restrictions rather than anything to do with QR, in any case, whether on not a BA J class award could be added to an AA redemption ticket or not doesn't sound like anything QR would have control over to me. Sounds like more a question for the AA forum, but if this were a redemption itinerary being booked through either QR or BA it would be correct that the additional BA flight LGW-MLA would increase the cost of the redemption. Not sure if you're already aware of this, but QR will shortly start flying to MLA direct from DOH (from 4th June I believe), so if the dates work for you might be worth bearing this in mind as this will probably lower the price of the redemption and significantly decrease the time it takes to get there. One final point worth mentioning is BA often has very competitive fares to MLA from LGW in non-flex J (we're talking around Ł250 return) so it could make sense to just book a separate cash ticket rather than a redemption on BA if you don't mind losing the flexibility to cancel. Hope this is helpful!
Thanks for the detailed response. And I did see something about QR flying to MLA in the future, but this is for a late January trip. Interestingly enough, I could have booked MCT DOH, DOH LHR, LGW MLA for 42,500 miles with the last two segments on BA without an issue on aa.com, but it would have essentially been a 3 day trip.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance
First flight on QR for a long time next week, just wanted to check that an xbox is OK in my carry-on?
I'm on 2 hour connection from EDI-SIN so don't really want to be getting held up at security for too long because this electronic item doesn't turn on because there is no battery.

I want to think it's not a problem but better to ask the experts who frequently go through DOH security.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by chris19992
First flight on QR for a long time next week, just wanted to check that an xbox is OK in my carry-on?
I'm on 2 hour connection from EDI-SIN so don't really want to be getting held up at security for too long because this electronic item doesn't turn on because there is no battery.

I want to think it's not a problem but better to ask the experts who frequently go through DOH security.
This is a new one! I'm inclined to say it will be fine but not 100% certain as honestly I've never seen anyone take a games console through security anywhere. I've never been asked to turn on a laptop or any other electronic item at security at DOH so you'd have to be exceedingly unlucky to get this request - they often don't even ask for you to remove laptops and other electronic items from bags to be scanned separately.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:28 pm
Company Representative, Qatar Airways

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Hi, not sure why you are receiving this error. Whilst the LHR - DOH sector operates on both eco/ business as well as eco/bus/first (A380's only - 2 departures/ day), the MEL-DOh sector is always A380 operated, hence comes with eco/ bus/ first class. You shouldn't have an issue in booking FIRST throughout, or mixed cabin should the LHR-DOH sector on the flight you've chosen not operate a FIRST cabin. Safe journey to Australia, and thanks for flying with Qatar Airways (goingplacestogether).
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by goingplacestogether
Hi, not sure why you are receiving this error. Whilst the LHR - DOH sector operates on both eco/ business as well as eco/bus/first (A380's only - 2 departures/ day), the MEL-DOh sector is always A380 operated, hence comes with eco/ bus/ first class. You shouldn't have an issue in booking FIRST throughout, or mixed cabin should the LHR-DOH sector on the flight you've chosen not operate a FIRST cabin. Safe journey to Australia, and thanks for flying with Qatar Airways (goingplacestogether).
Sorry, I seem to have lost the plot, here. To which post are you responding?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
This is a new one! I'm inclined to say it will be fine but not 100% certain as honestly I've never seen anyone take a games console through security anywhere. I've never been asked to turn on a laptop or any other electronic item at security at DOH so you'd have to be exceedingly unlucky to get this request - they often don't even ask for you to remove laptops and other electronic items from bags to be scanned separately.

Thanks for your reply
I'm hoping it will be fine, I've never done this before either, the xbox is a gift but hopefully if they ask anything they will allow it to be plugged in to check it's working.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:38 am
Company Representative, Qatar Airways

Programs: QR Privilege Club
Hi, I am responding to the query whereby it was asked whether LOHR - MEL can be booked in F class. The answer is YES. As long as you pick one of the 2 daily A380 departures from LHR - DOH, you are fine. The DOH - MEL leg will always have F class as it's operated exclusively on A380. I hope this helps. Thanks for flying on Qatar Airways. Visit www.qmiles.com to find out more about our Privilege Club Programme.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:41 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi, I am responding to the query whereby it was asked whether LOHR - MEL can be booked in F class. The answer is YES. As long as you pick one of the 2 daily A380 departures from LHR - DOH, you are fine. The DOH - MEL leg will always have F class as it's operated exclusively on A380. I hope this helps. Thanks for flying on Qatar Airways. Visit www.qmiles.com to find out more about our Privilege Club Programme.
Hey, do we have input from someone at QR? If so that is a very welcome development for the QR Forum despite the expertise others have in here to respond to queries that drop up.

​​​​​​If you are from QR would it sensible to highlight the scope of what you can do and assist with, so the forum regulars can flag issues for your attention when you can assist.
​​​​​
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chris19992

I've been asked to turn on my laptop and phone a number of times at DOH (at the departure gate immediately prior to boarding) - but only for flights from DOH to UK. I guess it must be similar to the enhanced screening for US/Aus flights.

Going from DOH to SIN I expect you'll be fine (but carry the power lead on you just in case!).

Last edited by purple1addict; Jan 6, 2019 at 10:50 am
Old Jan 6, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum, WY Gold, Shangri-la Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Hi and welcome
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: LH SEN
Is there any QR flight not from/to DOH? A few years ago they had BUD-ZAG etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.