Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Hey, does anyone understand QR Family Programme?
I'm reading the description, but really cannot understand it.....

Let's say I'm gonna use my account (QR Gold) as a "main account" and I will nominate my parents who are both QR Silver. If I fly alone will my miles be credited to my account and also to their accounts, or they will "lose" their accounts and all flights (mine and theirs) will be credited to my account. What will happen with the miles they have now on their accounts? Will all OW flights count towards the joint account or only QR flights? If the latter what about the miles from other airlines - will they be lost? Has anyone opened an family account and can me tell how does it work for the main and for the rest members? Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Quick question.
On a redemption with Qmiles (straight redemption, not upgrade) in business. Should I be entitled to lounge access? Just assumed I would be, but came into difficulties recently. Not sure if this was because it's a redemption, so asking question to find out answer.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
On a redemption with Qmiles (straight redemption, not upgrade) in business. Should I be entitled to lounge access? Just assumed I would be, but came into difficulties recently. Not sure if this was because it's a redemption, so asking question to find out answer.
I believe that you are; and that's my basis for expecting that to be welcomed into Al Sawfa on Saturday when I arrive in Doha. What were your difficulties in this regard?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
I believe that you are; and that's my basis for expecting that to be welcomed into Al Sawfa on Saturday when I arrive in Doha. What were your difficulties in this regard?
Check-in agent hadn't issued invitation to lounge. Went to Aspire lounge and was running through why we weren't added to list.. other than through human error.
Couldn't find anything on google about it - only about upgrade. Just got to Qatar.. no issues with getting into Al-Mourjan.

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Jun 27, 2018 at 4:11 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:12 am

hello together
I've collected some QPC miles until now but i don't know if its worth continue collecting...
can somebody tell me how high YQ is for award-flights:
DOH-MCT
DOH-IST
DOH-JFK

unfortunately i don't have enough miles to see the info yet...
thank you in advance...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Any Doha-layover veterans' help would be awesome here...

Wife and I are headed on our honeymoon... Due to schedule changes since we booked our flights nearly a year ago, we now have 2 massive layovers in Doha. And since there is no award availability on Qatar using AA miles in July for any airports / dates I have looked at, we are pretty much stuck with our flights.

Layover 1
Land in Doha at 5:55am
Leave Doha at 2:00am

Layover 2
Land in Doha at 11:45pm
Leave Doha at 8:00am

We are flying business class and have never visited Qatar. I can't imagine the business class lounge is entertaining enough for a 20 hour layover nor would it be comfy enough for an 8 hour overnight layover. So, thinking lounge-explore-lounge sequence for 1st layover and hotel for the 2nd layover...

Any advice would be awesome! Unfortunately, we don't qualify for the free hotel since it's an AA award ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KL Gold, LH FTL, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by forkknifespoon
Any Doha-layover veterans' help would be awesome here...

Wife and I are headed on our honeymoon... Due to schedule changes since we booked our flights nearly a year ago, we now have 2 massive layovers in Doha. And since there is no award availability on Qatar using AA miles in July for any airports / dates I have looked at, we are pretty much stuck with our flights.

Layover 1
Land in Doha at 5:55am
Leave Doha at 2:00am

Layover 2
Land in Doha at 11:45pm
Leave Doha at 8:00am

We are flying business class and have never visited Qatar. I can't imagine the business class lounge is entertaining enough for a 20 hour layover nor would it be comfy enough for an 8 hour overnight layover. So, thinking lounge-explore-lounge sequence for 1st layover and hotel for the 2nd layover...

Any advice would be awesome! Unfortunately, we don't qualify for the free hotel since it's an AA award ticket.
My advice would be skip the "explore" part! Honestly, it's July - the temperature in shadow is well over 40 degree Celsius (107F and more). In shadow. Night is even worse I must tell - now it's 31C - feels like 37.
Last September I did the "explore" - we started during the sunset at the Souk Waqif - this was still nice - narrow roads made the air flow and the walls gave shadow. But after the sunset the air stopped - it was unbearable.
We got a private car tour of Top5 or Top8 attractions - first two or three we were stepping out of the car, spending 5-15 minutes, taking some photos, but at every next attraction we were limiting the time we were spending outside of the A/C car. Finally the last attraction we just took some pictures through the open window.
Choose a good hotel, with both: indoor and outdoor swimming pool (you will decide then which you prefer). The only sight worth visiting, imho, is the Souk. Number two would be skyscrapers at Corniche. They look amazing when it's dark already.

Another thing: which booking class is your ticket. I'm not sure what is now QR's policy with the Award tickets and Al Mourjan lounge. There is another "Business class lounge", but it's not an as nice as Al Mourjan. For example, QR doesn't allow their status (or any OW status) passengers travelling in Y to Al Mourjan and Al Safwa lounges. The same applies to upgraded passangers - Operational, cash, miles upgrades don't get to access the AM and AS lounges. Not sure how about AA award tickets.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 3:26 pm

Also - hotels in Doha usually don't make any problems with early checkin / late checkout, so you should be fine with booking just one night for the layover 1 - just set it up with the hotel that they will allow you to do it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver
Ah good feedback thank you. Disappointed to hear, but I prefer the truth :-) I'll email some of the resorts to see who will let us check in at 7am and check out at 10pm or so...

The ticket is for Business class and the fare class is U. If I don't get access to the AM lounge, I would be highly disappointed.

Any tips for your favorite Doha hotel? Platinum at SPG/Marriott and Diamond at Hilton if it matters!

Last edited by forkknifespoon; Jun 29, 2018 at 4:18 pm Reason: hotel tips?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:53 pm

I mean - I don't want to discourage you from anything, but just want to warn you about the really high temperature.
Souq is a nice place definitely worth visiting and to see the Corniche skyscrappers when it's dark already. If you decide to take $50 private car tour and are tired already after the attraction number 3, 4 or any other you can always tell the guy to take you back to the hotel.

I know also many people are doing desert 4x4 tours - but on this I cannot give my opinion as I've never done it.
I usually stay in Crowne Plaza or Holiday Inn Business Park (both are in the same location), as they are the closest ones to the airport maximizing my sleep/pool time and minimizing traffic in the rush hours. HI opened September last year so it's really fresh (I stayed there for the first time 4 days after opening), but those are IHG.
As for Hilton - the Dbl Tree is nearby the Souq and Hilton Doha is just next to the Corniche - I haven't stay in neither of them, but looking at the map would choose the Dbl tree and just take Uber in the evening for the Corniche. Uber is really cheap in Doha, so if you order it still using the airport/hotel wifi it shouldn't be a problem. Sorry couldn't help you with Hilton or SPG hotel choice in Doha.

As for the lounge access, you can ask here:
QR Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge
or here:
No more Al Mourjan access for upgrades with Qmiles/QCredits

Folks there should be able to help you with this
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:02 pm

Souq Waqif during the day

Souq's surrounding (back entrance) 15 minutes after the sunset - good streetfood

Corniche as seen from the Musum of Islamic Art

Corniche - best ask the driver to stop at the Costa Coffee
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:18 am

I'm new to QR. Is the option to change flight date under "Manage Booking" on the website supposed to work?

No matter what I choose as the new date, all I get is the following error:
Unable to find flights for the selected date.
Please select a different date and search again.
(NSP101)
Could it be because the itinerary involves a segment on another carrier? Or because the fare in question is not flexible? I'd still expect to be able to change flights online subject to fees though.

Should I try the mobile app, or is it going to be just like the website? Assuming either doesn't work, the only other option is the call center route, which then also incurs a separate booking fee on top everything else, right?

It's probably not worth it to change this itinerary at all but confirming my suspicions with regard to this is proving quote cumbersome.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 10:26 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
I have never redeemed a partner airline award before - how the heck is one supposed to do this? I can see the award chart but when clicking the book button it just asks me to login in! I had already logged in.
Logging in again it and then goes back to my dashboard! Erm..help?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:33 pm

Has anyone noticed that Qatar Airways no longer has any truly fully refundable fares? It looks to be that even with FULL FARE (Y, J, F) the fare rules now say there is between a 110 QAR to 370 QAR penalty for refund...They still call these 'flexi' fares but reading the fare basis and rules they are fully changeable but not refundable. This change must have happened sometime in 2018 but not sure when. Am I missing something? Anyone else notice this or aware of this change?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Has anyone noticed that Qatar Airways no longer has any truly fully refundable fares? It looks to be that even with FULL FARE (Y, J, F) the fare rules now say there is between a 110 QAR to 370 QAR penalty for refund...They still call these 'flexi' fares but reading the fare basis and rules they are fully changeable but not refundable. This change must have happened sometime in 2018 but not sure when. Am I missing something? Anyone else notice this or aware of this change?
Booked a Flexi fare flight from China earlier this week - Cancellation were free of charge. Just checked flights departing from Europe on the QR website and Economy and Business flexi and ancellations was also free of charge.

The fare rules could potentially differ between departing country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.