Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask your questions here. Flame free

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by ASW1
Thank you for your response.
Departing NRT on July 3 (QR807), arriving and departing DOH july 4 (QR275)

Can the "free stopover package" be added to an existing reservation? I booked in Januari.

Thanks for pointing me to the 'About DOH airport' widget, I am reading it now.
ASW1 there are many who have added the Summer stopover package to existing reservations. Please read the details and the FAQs that link into the discoverqatar webpages.
You will also need to apply for free 96 hour transit visas. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...hour-visa.html for all the details.

It would be advisable to keep to the visa regulations very strictly but discoverqatar seem to be rather relaxed with their regulations.

Also remember that the hotels check-out times (11.00-12.00) must be adhered to unless you can negotiate a later time.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: none
IMO the STCP would be more convenient and preferable over the summer stopover package.
It seems to me our layover connection will qualify for STCP , but might fail on the ticket value requirement even though we have J class.
Should I just contact them and ask if they give us STCP or is that a waste of time?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:24 am

ASW1 if you prefer STPC you should be able to get paid STPC rather than free STPC. But you need to request it.

I am afraid that your child makes it almost impossible to calculate if you qualify for STPC with the USD 400 limit.
Do check!
Look at the fare breakdown on My Trips (MMB) and take the fare element plus the Fuel surcharge (YQ) divide it by 2 and convert it to USD If the result is less than 800 (1200 if the child actually counts in this calculation) then you qualify for free STPC. The Euro has increased value against the US Dollar quite significantly recently so you may get lucky.

If you try STPC then please report back as to how your child fits into the calculation.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by remdk
I am afraid that your child makes it almost impossible to calculate if you qualify for STPC with the USD 400 limit.
Do check!
Just contacted CS, they say we are not eligible for free STPC.
Paying $450 (3x150) for this service is over our budget and not to mention probably overpriced.
Need to think what plan B is going to be.

Edit: It seems we can indeed still add the free hotel from the summer promotion to our booking. If we choose the Oryx Rotana we can use free transfer too. I didn't make a reservation yet, but it lets you choose both check-in and check-out times (so we won't have to deal with the issue of an early check out).
Downside is that no meal vouchers are included, and we'll have to apply the visa on the website.
We're still eligible for a 5 star because we're flying J, so that's good.
Any other hotels that would be worth looking at other that the Oryx?

Last edited by ASW1; Jun 8, 2017 at 4:23 am
Old Jun 8, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum

Edit: It seems we can indeed still add the free hotel from the summer promotion to our booking. If we choose the Oryx Rotana we can use free transfer too. I didn't make a reservation yet, but it lets you choose both check-in and check-out times (so we won't have to deal with the issue of an early check out).
Downside is that no meal vouchers are included, and we'll have to apply the visa on the website.
We're still eligible for a 5 star because we're flying J, so that's good.
Any other hotels that would be worth looking at other that the Oryx?

You should not really care about food vouchers! You are arriving into Doha at O-dark-thirty and will want to get your family to ground in a hotel asap. Feel free to sleep as long as you like. Then get up, shower, check out of the hotel and head back to the Al Mourjan Business Class Lounge for lunch. I did not know Rotana offered a free shuttle. That's a good score! It probably means that when you arrive into Doha, they will have you wait in the Arrivals Lounge for the shuttle to arrive (tons of food there too, not like you will need any after service on the J class flight ). As an aside, I selected the Sharq Hotel since it is closer to the airport and has a more 5star feel than the Oryx Rotana. Each to their own!
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by SullyofDoha
Thanks for the tip, but the Sharq wasn't available for our date unfortunately.
I have submitted visa applications and was able to make a reservation at the Oryx, so we should be all good. Our first leg into Doha should be entirely dedicated to sleeping, but I'll see to it that we get some breakfast before we land.

Our second leg DOH-AMS leaves at 15:10, if we are to be back at Hamad around 13:00 would that allow enough time to grab a bite in Al Mourjan or shoud we aim a bit earlier?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:54 am

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Thanks for the tip, but the Sharq wasn't available for our date unfortunately.
I have submitted visa applications and was able to make a reservation at the Oryx, so we should be all good. Our first leg into Doha should be entirely dedicated to sleeping, but I'll see to it that we get some breakfast before we land.

Our second leg DOH-AMS leaves at 15:10, if we are to be back at Hamad around 13:00 would that allow enough time to grab a bite in Al Mourjan or shoud we aim a bit earlier?
Because you are flying in J class, you will enter the country and exit the country through dedicated business/first class areas. Very fast, very painless! If it was me, I'd aim for being cleared customs/immigration by 13.00 as I enjoy the prospect of an hour in the Al Mourjan Lounge. However, if you have never been in the lounge, you might like a bit more time to take in the experience and look around BTW, the Oryx Rotana has a nice outdoor pool. A late morning swim when you wake up might be enjoyable for you all
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:05 am

Thank you for the tips, I appreciate it.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Can my wife occupy my J claass seat?

Hi. Quick question. Purchased a J ticket to JNB next month and now my wife is wanting to go with me. Maybe I'll be able to upgrade her seat before we depart, but if I don't would she be allowed to occupy my J seat whilst I sit in her Y seat? Yeah I know, I'm a good husband.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:55 pm

dfwrob welcome to the QR forum. Do take a look at the QR dashboard. I think you will find it a useful tool when searching for information.

Provided you inform the cabin crew of the change, and you have no need of such services as special meals etc, then you may swap places. It is not an uncommon thing to happen and the cabin crew will usually be very helpful if you tell them what you are doing. I have heard that the Y cabin, formerly J, passenger is given a number of small extras collected from the J cabin.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by remdk
dfwrob welcome to the QR forum. Do take a look at the QR dashboard. I think you will find it a useful tool when searching for information.

Provided you inform the cabin crew of the change, and you have no need of such services as special meals etc, then you may swap places. It is not an uncommon thing to happen and the cabin crew will usually be very helpful if you tell them what you are doing. I have heard that the Y cabin, formerly J, passenger is given a number of small extras collected from the J cabin.
Thank you very much for your reply!!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:27 pm
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Flying Monday at 9:30PM GMT +1 LHR-DOH on QR002. Booking page says I've got seat 18D selected, but at check in, I was switched to a random seat and am unable to select a seat at the front of the plane. Does this happen often? I've still got status and nothing has changed, just that I've suddenly been reassigned a new seat without my knowledge
Old Jun 10, 2017, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zsc
Flying Monday at 9:30PM GMT +1 LHR-DOH on QR002. Booking page says I've got seat 18D selected, but at check in, I was switched to a random seat and am unable to select a seat at the front of the plane. Does this happen often? I've still got status and nothing has changed, just that I've suddenly been reassigned a new seat without my knowledge
As far as I can see, the vast majority of the Y cabin is empty and blocked (not occupied) on QR 2 tomorrow. The only seats occupied are a few in rows 32 to 44. Given that the flight is also wide open availability-wise, I would guess that the economy cabin is expected to be nearly empty and that all Y passengers were relocated to the back of the plane to improve the aircraft's balance.

Again, just guessing on this information, but it will probably be permissible to move to an empty row after take off.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:16 am

Programs: Miles & More / Virgin Velocity-Gold
Just querying why at Doha you must go through Transfer Security Screening & then another Security Screening at the gate DOH=SYD ?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 1:58 am
zsc

Programs: QR Silver / BA Silver
Originally Posted by Calchas
As far as I can see, the vast majority of the Y cabin is empty and blocked (not occupied) on QR 2 tomorrow. The only seats occupied are a few in rows 32 to 44. Given that the flight is also wide open availability-wise, I would guess that the economy cabin is expected to be nearly empty and that all Y passengers were relocated to the back of the plane to improve the aircraft's balance.

Again, just guessing on this information, but it will probably be permissible to move to an empty row after take off.
Hm, that is certainly a possibility - why they decided to move me does raise some question. Nevertheless, flight is tomorrow & if the flight is relatively empty, hopefully the rear part won't be too noisy thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.