Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Hamad Int'l Airport (NDIA) to open completely on May 27, 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hamad Int'l Airport (NDIA) to open completely on May 27, 2014

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Sooo, no new airport when QR joins OW alliance by 30 Oct?

Where are all the OW elite partners' members gonna go when travelling Y class? Both the Silver and Gold card lounges aren't very big as they are and they're already packed to the rafters with existing PC members.
It won't make any differnce that QR is in OW. Passengers flying on an OW airline today already use the QR lounge which is the contract lounge for all carriers out of Doha.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
It won't make any differnce that QR is in OW. Passengers flying on an OW airline today already use the QR lounge which is the contract lounge for all carriers out of Doha.
But those are people already in first on business class. The issue is all the OW Emerald and Sapphire members who will be entitled to lounge access even when they're in Y class. They wouldn't have been getting lounge access up until now unless they paid for a day pass or have some credit card related access.

There are quite a few people like this and one wonders where they might go.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by arabiamark
But those are people already in first on business class. The issue is all the OW Emerald and Sapphire members who will be entitled to lounge access even when they're in Y class. They wouldn't have been getting lounge access up until now unless they paid for a day pass or have some credit card related access.

They already can use the Oryx lounge when flying Y on a Oneworld airline.

Question will be what happens to the Premium Terminal.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 1:20 am

Don't know if this would be a significant issue since there are only about 3 current OW airlines which fly into DOH and I beleive it is only one flight daily. If it does then Orxy should stop allowing people to access the lounge with $40. Not sure why they still do as there is another lounge that used to be the gold lounge but is now used for transfer passangers with 'issues'. At least this is what I was told when I tried to access the lounge with my gold PC and was turned away.

I think it is confirmed that the PT is not in plans for the new airport and QR better not provide PT to OW members without providing it to its own PC PLT/gold memebers.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 2:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by phol

From my understanding is that the Premium Terminalbwill reman for the exclusive use of Business and Frst class passengers only.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Exp, Radisson VIP, Expedia OneKey Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amex Plati

After Oct. 30th, perhaps. But how are they qualifying for that now? Usually such benefits are only given when the airport has a OW airline branded lounge. Contract lounges, such as Oryx, usually don't count. Or is QR already giving these lounge benefits ahead of time?

Last edited by arabiamark; Sep 12, 2013 at 4:51 am
Old Sep 12, 2013, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
Don't know if this would be a significant issue since there are only about 3 current OW airlines which fly into DOH and I beleive it is only one flight daily. If it does then Orxy should stop allowing people to access the lounge with $40. Not sure why they still do as there is another lounge that used to be the gold lounge but is now used for transfer passangers with 'issues'. At least this is what I was told when I tried to access the lounge with my gold PC and was turned away.

I think it is confirmed that the PT is not in plans for the new airport and QR better not provide PT to OW members without providing it to its own PC PLT/gold memebers.
It doesn't matter whether OW airlines airlines fly into DOH on their actual metal or not. OW Emeralds and Sapphires will be entitled to the lounge while flying on QR Y. I know for a fact that I'm one of those people who didn't use to get lounge access who will get it after Oct. 30th. I imagine there are more than a few people like that. And if the lounge is already packed it will be interesting to see how they deal with it..
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:05 am

After Oct. 30th, perhaps. But how are they qualifying for that now? Usually such benefits are only given when the airport has a OW airline branded lounge. Contract lounges, such as Oryx, usually don't count. Or is QR already giving these lounge benefits ahead of time?
The only two OW members that fly to DOH currently have contracts in place for that lounge though, so any of their frequent flyers can enter irrespective of class flown. The only time it would catch them out is if an AA member (for example) was flying BA Economy out of DOH, they couldn't access the lounge.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The only two OW members that fly to DOH currently have contracts in place for that lounge though, so any of their frequent flyers can enter irrespective of class flown. The only time it would catch them out is if an AA member (for example) was flying BA Economy out of DOH, they couldn't access the lounge.
Not true, an AA member with status flying BA or RJ (until QR joins) would have access. Denying third party access is only when you aren't flying the carrier that grants access.

For example, at DFW BA contracts it's lounge so they do not grant access to the scores of AA elites if they are not flying BA.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: OWS, *A G
LDI files 245m claim against New Doha International Airport

http://www.constructionweekonline.co.../#.Ujkld8Zmh8E
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:15 am

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/new-d...rt-516780.html

However, Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker announced in a press conference in China on Wednesday that Hamad International Airport would now begin operating early next year, according to the Peninsula newspaper.

delayed again
Old Sep 19, 2013, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Originally Posted by tboons
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/new-d...rt-516780.html

However, Qatar Airways CEO Akbar Al Baker announced in a press conference in China on Wednesday that Hamad International Airport would now begin operating early next year, according to the Peninsula newspaper.

delayed again
Agreed. That makes it official.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I read somewhere that the opening of the new airport will coincide with the arrival of the A380 in the fleet.

Is QR the only major airline that is part of an alliance whose hub has no air bridges?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
flying today i noticed an info sheet on NDIA saying:
"Its opening day capacity in 2012 will be 24 million passengers, zzz"

Found it hilarious. Will upload the picture once I get to sit down.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:43 pm

Programs: EBS, EY Gold Eite, EK Gold, QR Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by peterdudas
flying today i noticed an info sheet on NDIA saying:
"Its opening day capacity in 2012 will be 24 million passengers, zzz"

Found it hilarious. Will upload the picture once I get to sit down.
...and the traffic trough DOH is predicted (by the airport/QR) to exceed 26 mill during 2014..even without the 380's as i understand. So without phase 3 we are in for a subcapasity experience... Masterminds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.