Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Hamad Int'l Airport (NDIA) to open completely on May 27, 2014

Hamad Int'l Airport (NDIA) to open completely on May 27, 2014

Old Jan 24, 2013, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
It probably has something to do with the laws of Qatar itself. You can not bring alcohol into the country, and only visiting foreigners can buy only get beer/wine/drinks at hotel bars.
Actually almost anyone can purchase alcohol at the hotel bars/restaurants. You will usually see at least one local (Qatari) having a drink even while wearing a thobe.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by kmcbrid2
I'm acutally surprised that alcohol is not offered in the airport since QR has a monopoly and could make easy money. It just another thing with QR that makes me go hummmmmm
It also made me pass up my first opportunity to fly with QR about 2 yrs ago. I could have flown from SIN to LHR at 1/2 the price that SQ was charging for a non-stop flight, but after reading a few negatives about just the airport I gave up and decided to shorten the journey.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
Originally Posted by mecabq
It doesn't seem to be the laws, as alcohol is available now in the Oryx lounge and the Qatar Airways premium terminal.
But it isnt SOLD at the lounges. My comment was addressed in reference to why drinks for consumption isnt sold at the airport.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by tomnativenewyorker
It probably has something to do with the laws of Qatar itself. You can not bring alcohol into the country, and only visiting foreigners can buy only get beer/wine/drinks at hotel bars.
These guys are in for a major shocker in 2022 when Qatar will host the football World Cup. They will literally be home to the largest gathering of massively-intoxicate people and a huge alcohol-fueled party that will drag on for weeks.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi (what a name!) still is a joke, then (New) Doha and Berlin.
Show of incompetence.
I plan my second 2013 BKK-BRU trip for late August, don't think via DOH is an option yet
Old Jan 29, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
http://www.qatarairways.com/english_...lease_20130122
Old Jan 29, 2013, 6:21 am

12 international passenger airlines becoming the launch carriers of the new facility from April 1

translation- we will work out all the bugs on no QR passangers

Doha will have a dual airport operation until full operations begin at Hamad International in the second half of 2013

Translation- midnight 31 Dec 2013
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:52 am

Well I'm partially glad about that, as I'm traveling in J on QR LHR-MEL in April. Disappointed I won't be able to experience the new airport however still happy about spending a short time in the Premium Terminal.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Hello all
Sorry to bring this thread back up. Is there any update on the opening date of the new DOH airport and when QR flights would move across. Didn't have much luck trying to find the answer myself online so thinking maybe a new date hasn't been announced?

Thanks!

Last edited by leroy11; Jul 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 31, 2013, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by leroy11
Hello all
Sorry to bring this thread back up. Is there any update on the opening date of the new DOH airport and when QR flights would move across. Didn't have much luck trying to find the answer myself online so thinking maybe a new date hasn't been announced?

Thanks!
They are still confident to open this year:

"When will the airport be fully operational?

We expect the airport to be fully operational and for Qatar Airways to move to HIA in the fourth quarter of 2013."

Source: http://www.dohaairport.com/en/hia/faqs/faqs.html?#Q6

I am flying Qatar in C in November. I am not sure if I should hope for the new airport or be glad to use the old premium terminal for transfer.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage, AS Mileage Plan, EK Skywards, LH Miles & More
Originally Posted by jayhamburg
I am flying Qatar in C in November. I am not sure if I should hope for the new airport or be glad to use the old premium terminal for transfer.
Keeping in mind how often they have already postponed the opening I would not expect to be landing at the new airport any time soon.

They seem to be trying really hard to beat Berlin and win the competition "Who takes longest to get their new airport up and running?"

I really hope they will get it done sooner than later. It will make traveling on QR so much more convenient because IMHO if there is only one thing QR really lacks, it is a good hub.

UAE777
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Thanks for the responses - much appreciated. I suspect the ambiguous opening date is likely to make it less of an event if the opening is delayed again!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 3:42 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Presumably it will be done in time for the World Cup ... but you never know.

cheers,

Henry
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by henry999
Presumably it will be done in time for the World Cup
You mean for the Football World Cup in 2020 or the Ski World Cup in 2038? The latter maybe, the former I doubt it. Let's not rush things.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:41 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
You mean for the Football World Cup in 2020 or the Ski World Cup in 2038? The latter maybe, the former I doubt it. Let's not rush things.
The soccer/football World Cup is in 2022.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.