Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Transferring DOH with sealed duty free liquids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:30 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

Some older threads reports differently on carrying duty free items as carry on items, so I am asking if anyone have recent experience? Will doha airport security allow sealed bags with duty free liquids/alcohol on an international transfer, or will they enforce the 100 ml limit?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by intuition
Some older threads reports differently on carrying duty free items as carry on items, so I am asking if anyone have recent experience? Will doha airport security allow sealed bags with duty free liquids/alcohol on an international transfer, or will they enforce the 100 ml limit?

last time i came through bangkok they wouldn't sell me drinks only cigarettes because i would be in transit at doha, i just took their word for it but it sounded plausible cant see thai's missing a chance of selling something but it will be interesting to know the answer to you question.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Here you go;

http://support.qatarairways.com/entr...ng-confiscated

^
Old Jul 5, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Same issue in SIN. If you insist on buying and they will let you.

The first few times I was told by Changi DFS staff that they were informed by DOH airport that alcohol will be confiscated even on Transit. But that is not true. Everytime I insist on buying it they'll be very surprised and just let me purchase in the end.

Things are slightly cheaper in Changi than in DOH - I usually buy cigarettes and whiskey in SIN.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 1:04 am

when i go to Manchester in September will ask if i can buy alcohol whilst transiting through Doha.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chezzie
when i go to Manchester in September will ask if i can buy alcohol whilst transiting through Doha.
If you're wondering if you can buy alcohol when in actually in transit through Doha; Yes you can, it has a large duty free area including alcohol sales.

If you're wondering if you can buy alcohol in Manchester (or any other airport) & then transit through Doha without it being confiscated; Yes you can, read the link in my reply (#3).

^

Last edited by impeymac; Jul 6, 2012 at 8:57 am
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
Digging up an old thread...

I am flying EDI-DOH-CCU next week, with an overnight (23:00 - 18:00) layover at DOH. I booked a hotel myself (I am reading about free transit hotel, how does that work?), so I guess I will need a visa on arrival. Two questions:
1. Will my bag be through checked to CCU?
2. I was planning on buying some duty free whisky at EDI, but I guess I cant carry it through my layover?
(3. What are odds of getting an Op-UG from Y to J as an AA EXplat?)

Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: QR Gold, EK, Accor, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold VIP, Delta
One trip I was in BKK duty free, They would not let me purchase one bottle of cologne because it was 3.1 fluid ounces, and because I was transiting Doha, and the restriction there was 3.0 ounces I would not have allowed the sealed duty free package. I had transited DOH enough to know that they would have been too lazy to check the package anyway.

I did purchase something else, and left it in my backpack going thru security and they never asked me to take it out for inspection.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by dipthought
(3. What are odds of getting an Op-UG from Y to J as an AA EXplat?)

Thanks!
About 1 to 1,000,000.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:34 am

Hi all - slightly different question. Never flown Qatar before but thinking about it for CDG-SIN. I'm planning to check in a few cases of wine, let's say 20 liters worth.

Will it be an issue while transiting through Doha? I am assuming not, as this is checked-in, not hand-carried.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old May 1, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
I've been in Transit through Doha with a couple of litres of duty free in my case without any issues, though 20L might be a different story given the weight!

I think your main concern would be paying the tax on 20L of wine given it may be hard to discretely carry that much - the amount can be calculated here: http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/tr...ble+Goods.html.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by samlimpeh
Hi all - slightly different question. Never flown Qatar before but thinking about it for CDG-SIN. I'm planning to check in a few cases of wine, let's say 20 liters worth.

Will it be an issue while transiting through Doha? I am assuming not, as this is checked-in, not hand-carried.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
As long as you pack it for shipment, and have the allowance for the weight. No problems.

It will exceed your duty free allowance on Singapore though.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

Duty+GST on wine in Singapore, while bad, still makes for a great deal viz buying booze in SIN.
Like 80ish sgd per liter of alcohol content (& not wine).

Just be warned- the limit is the duty free allowance and then another 10l duty paid booze per person- it's hidden somewhere in the Customs' folks' brochure- the kiosk will not accept your payment for 20l wine & the officer that you'd have to talk to would be within his/her rights to confiscate anything for above Dufry+10l.

I got lucky the first time and they let me pay the duty on the excess and go through, but haven't chanced that since.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 8:38 pm

Qatar airways Flight from Paris to Jakarta with a transfer at Doha.
I bought some champagne in the Paris duty frees and took them in carry on.
There was no security check at all at our arrival in Doha (we went through a side door somehow) so zero problem with my champagne.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 1:46 am
Suspended

The short answer to your question OP is that it is hit and miss. I bought a 1L bottle of rum on both of my previous trips from SYD - LHR (purchased in Sydney) and didn't have any issues going through security while in transit at Doha. The bottle was clearly visible in a sealed bag, put through security by a guard. My sister in law recently tried to take a bottle of alcohol through on basically same route SYD - DOH - Belgium, clearly sealed in a duty free bag, and the ground staff at Doha confiscated it.

So basically it depends on what your risk tolerance is. As with so many things when it comes air travel and enforcement of rules, it basically depends on luck/who you get on the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.