FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qatar Airways | Privilege Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club-644/)
-   -   Doha (QR) Connection from/to other Star Alliance Carrier to QR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1342712-doha-qr-connection-other-star-alliance-carrier-qr.html)

yvr1971 May 3, 2012 10:50 pm

Doha (QR) Connection from/to other Star Alliance Carrier to QR

Hi All, we are transiting through Doha Airport on the following routing:
TLV-IST (TK)
IST-DOH (TK)
DOH-IAH (QR)
IAH-YVR (UA)

The trip is continuous, with the longest connection in Doha at about 7 hours.
1. Upon check in at TLV, will TK be able to issue onward boarding passes for QR/UA flights, as well as tag our baggage through to final destination? (I could not find if TK had any interline agreements with QR).
2. If no BP's can be issued, or bags tagged, do we have to go out of security, obtain a Qatari visa, and re-check in with QR (or is this an airside connection centre that can issue BP's and re-check bags?)?
3. If we have to check in directly with QR, are they able to issue BP's for the final UA flight?

We are flying Business Class on all segments, are both Star*G, on award fix. One of us is Canadian, other is US citizen. Travel is not till Dec12/Jan13 timeframe (so maybe the terminal will be open?)

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

AlexCM May 4, 2012 4:09 am

Hi yvr1971,

Could you please kindly "private message" to me of your booking detail/ticket number so that I can check with my colleague for your above inquiry.

Look forward to assisting you soon.

Best regards,
Alex

Guy Betsy May 7, 2012 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by yvr1971 (Post 18511625)
Hi All, we are transiting through Doha Airport on the following routing:
TLV-IST (TK)
IST-DOH (TK)
DOH-IAH (QR)
IAH-YVR (UA)
..Thx

I take it you're on different tickets?

Should be no problem.. show your onward reservations with TK in TLV and agent should be able to tag to YVR but you still have to collect your bags at IAH. Note that you will not be getting 'Priority' baggage handling with QR though.

TK will NOT be able to give you onward boarding pass with QR. You need to get that at DOH. But at DOH, depending on UA's system, QR may be able to get your boarding pass. Otherwise no big deal. just get it at IAH.

yvr1971 May 7, 2012 1:06 pm

We are all on one ticket (Star Alliance Award Business Class) from TLV-(TK)-IST-(TK)-DOH-(QR)-IAH-(UA)-YVR.
So what I am hearing is that BP's might be an issue (ie. At Check in with TK, we will receive our 1st two BP's. Upon arrivial at Doha, we will have to obtain our QR (and maybe our UA) BP, which we should be able to do airside at Transfer desk), and if no UA BP issued at this point, then we collect in IAH. Otherwise, interlining of luggage bagtags is possible all the way through, except we have to clear US customs in IAH as per usual collect bags off carousel then re-deposit at baggage re-check. I hope I got this right!

J.Edward Sep 5, 2012 5:50 am

1h 5m - Enought Time to Connect from QR to UA @ DOH?

Greetings everyone -

Have a UA award ticket coming up that has a 1h 5m connection from QR to UA (specifically it's IAH > DOH on QR then DOH > DXB on UA in business on both legs) and was wondering if anyone had any advice on it (e.g. how doable is it, tips/tricks, etc.)

Thanks!

tomnativenewyorker Sep 5, 2012 6:56 am

If......you IAH-DOH is on time, and DOH-DXB is on time it shouldnt be a problem.

If......the bus makes a trip to the arrivals building before the premium terminal, I would be sweating it a bit on the bus like I did back in July.

If you pay attention and follow the arrival instructions if you never been to Doha, you should be OK.

There should be two seats on the left side of the bus facing towards the right directly across the door, sit there and make sure you are the first off going into the premium terminal. A QR rep will look at you next boarding pass and tell you to hurry up if it is going to be close.

After that, you will need to pass through security and if you already have the items that will set off the metal detector in your carry bag you shouldnt have any issues. Never once had to take my laptop or ipad out of my backpack, and they dont make you remove your shoes as a general rule.

Too bad you dont have enough time to really enjoy the premium terminal if you havent been there before. If they cant get you on your connecting flight, I dont see them having any problems getting you to Dubai and giving you a chance to check out the lounge.

J.Edward Sep 5, 2012 2:39 pm

Thanks tomnativenewyorker -- the connecting boarding pass (DOH > DXB on UA's) has been secured so hopefully it's just a matter to hustling from the QR arrival gate to the UA departure one (and hopefully with the assistance of QR groundstaff as it's a business ticket.)

tomnativenewyorker Sep 6, 2012 5:41 am

Originally Posted by J.Edward (Post 19259977)
Thanks tomnativenewyorker -- the connecting boarding pass (DOH > DXB on UA's) has been secured so hopefully it's just a matter to hustling from the QR arrival gate to the UA departure one (and hopefully with the assistance of QR groundstaff as it's a business ticket.)

For whatever reason, I missed the part where your DOH-DXB leg was with UA.

I believe in that case you would go to the transfer terminal instead of the premium terminal. Make sure you get the fast transfer ticket jacket and all the things I said other than the terminal still remain true.