Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Short transit in DOH

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Short transit in DOH

I am booked on QR84 from JFK-DOH in business class; connecting to UA977 for DOH-DXB, business.

QR84 arrives in DOH at 19:00, and UA977 departs at 20:20, so an hour and 20 minute connection.

A couple stupid questions, so forgive me

Do you think the 1hour 20 minute connection is feasible? I am arriving on QR, but departing on UA.

Will I have to claim my luggage and recheck, since I am on 2 different airlines?
Go through security?

I saw on the QR website about different color boarding passes, but it looks like the burgundy one is only for onward QR flights

Should I just take a later QR flight, and have a few hour connection--the only seats available are in economy though (reward ticket)

Sorry for stupid questions...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 2:38 pm

That is cutting it very close. DOH - DXB is only about an hour flight, so being in economy definetly won't kill you. I would take the later flight and not have to worry about it while I am enjoying the long business section from JFK to DOH.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Well, I was able to switch to a QR economy flight that leaves 20 min later, so a 1 hr 40 min connection, and all on Qatar, so I feel better. I'm not bothered with the coach seat as it is a short flight.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
QR has 11 flights per day to DXB; too bad you couldn't find F. They're only two-class, with the forward cabin marketed as F, so you'd benefit from the first-class side of the premium terminal.

To answer your other questions, it would have been possible to check your luggage all the way through even with UA. You would go to the transfer area and through security again in DOH, which can be long.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
Actually the previous poster is correct, the economy seat isn't that bad because of the 1 hour flight, it's all the other things that come with the premium travel that will get you through check-in, passport control and security at DXB (as well as lounge access, etc.) with the biz class seat. Possibly you can go even a little earlier?
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Yes, I saw that QR has about 10 flights a day DOH-DXB. They only offered coach reward tickets on every flight. The one UA flight a day had the biz class seat open. I did want to experience the premium terminal lol, but with a 1 hour 40 min connection, I don't think I would have had much time there anyway. Shorter lines would have been nice though. I hear DOH can be chaos at times.

I also feel better being ticketed on QR just in case my incoming from JFK is late, and I somehow do my connection. I AM looking forward to traveling biz class JFK-DOH. My only other experience with long haul biz class was CX JFK-HKG, and I must say I enjoyed the flight .
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
My company booked a stop-over in DOH to save a whopping $70 over the IAD-DXB direct on UA. Not a smooth move, but I made and DXB cxn via DOH in under :30 flying QR cattle. Arrival time was around 9PM, and departure was around 10PM. Your hour+ layover should be more than fine, and you can always ask to be fast-tracked if its going to be close. (They held the gate bus for one member of my party who got tied up.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.