Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Yeah I understand.
Once I was at OSL and the seat map was 20% blocked off when I was checking in (online)

So I buffered maybe 50% empty but when I reached the airport it was 80% full. Still managed to get a row of 4 by myself though.

Currently the availability is at:
C0 J0 D0 Z0 Y2 B1 L0 M0 Q0 K0 U0 H0 E0 V0 W0

On QR.com only 4 seats are left for Y for my flight. Fingers crossed!!

Last edited by lsed; Jan 18, 2012 at 4:48 am Reason: checking in (online)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by lsed
Yeah I understand.
Once I was at OSL and the seat map was 20% blocked off when I was checking in (online)

So I buffered maybe 50% empty but when I reached the airport it was 80% full. Still managed to get a row of 4 by myself though.

Currently the availability is at:
C0 J0 D0 Z0 Y2 B1 L0 M0 Q0 K0 U0 H0 E0 V0 W0

On QR.com only 4 seats are left for Y for my flight. Fingers crossed!!
Yes, I see which flight it is now. Its probably already over subscribed but within the overbooking tolerances.

Good luck! And don't forget to let us know.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Checked in at the airport 2.5 hours before flight, Y was oversold, but J was totally full.
Asked if I could VDB and turns out they already flew the excess pax on another carrier.

In the end I was the only gold in Y!

But the ground staff were nice enough to get me an exit row seat for my friend and me.

Oh well... Cabin crew were great as usual
Old Jan 20, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lsed
Checked in at the airport 2.5 hours before flight, Y was oversold, but J was totally full.
Asked if I could VDB and turns out they already flew the excess pax on another carrier.

In the end I was the only gold in Y!

But the ground staff were nice enough to get me an exit row seat for my friend and me.

Oh well... Cabin crew were great as usual
Thanks for the info.

At least you were well catered for by the ground and cabin crews, and shows that the non availability of biz class shown on Expert Flyer was as good as its word. Having said that, it was still shown as open to ecomony bookings right up to when the check-ins were open. Seems strange when they were offloading passengers onto other carriers.

Only 1 Gold out of 293? I though there would be more than that. We must be a rare breed. My first flight as one will be in a few weeks time.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Jan 20, 2012 at 6:29 pm Reason: Additional sentences.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Yeah the CSD said there were more silvers, but I was the only gold in Y. I was stunned that I was the only one of the privileged that had to suffer with the lesser mortals in Y.

But jokes aside, the ground staff did try very hard to accommodate us and got us exit row seats.

Interestingly, loads for my connecting DOH - FCO were 80% sold 16 hours before departure. At T -4 I checked and it was 6 oversold with 18 empty in J.

Managed to get the transfer desk to indicate my ung1 who has no status as SFU, and at the gate we were both op up'd.
Was served in full J food (unlike how I thought I would be given Y food previously).

But ticket did explicitly show INVOL UPG.

Was surprised the loads for the FCO flight suddenly spiked as EF was showing average loads.

Oh and FCO flight was 3 class cabin but F was used for J customers
Old Jan 21, 2012, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nuff Said
My first flight as one will be in a few weeks time.

Good luck for an op up! Even if you're in J you may get pushed to an F seat on a 3 class cabin.

Oh and service on both flights were really great as usual.
When QR's ground improves to their current onboard, without crazy spikes in prices, it will be superb!
Old Jan 21, 2012, 6:28 pm

Ised, thanks for a very informative account, and the good wishes. Glad to hear you got there, in more ways than one, in the end.

One possibility why your DOH-FCO flight was suddenly oversubscribed could have been a late operating inward service that caused a large number of passengers to misss their connections. Its a headache for the airlines, especially if the next available service is heavily booked. The other is substituting a 3 class 333 (A7-AEB in your case) for a 2 class version. This only made matters worse, or in your case, better, with 52 fewer economy class seats, and 46 less overall.

I don't normally fly 3 class cabin routes, though F/J/Y 330's do pop up on 2 class routes where loadings permit. I've flown 5 sectors in them, but only one was a 3 class service.

My last two op-up boarding passes also showed 'INVOL UPG'. Wasn't sure why at first, but now think I know, and it's not to identify you as an one to the cabin crew.

Last edited by Nuff Said; Jan 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm Reason: Correction.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: QR-SL, EK, TG, BA
Right/wrong time to request award upgrade?

I have requested and been refused a Y to J upgrade for 3 of the 4 sectors of my itinerary for June 2012.

Have I tried too soon? Anyone experience of the best time slot for a request?

I begin to feel almost cheated by QR compared to my EK days when upgrades were there for the asking, and OU's common, none so far with QR

Kinda makes the Qmiles seem worthless?

Without doubt the only real benefit from where I stand seems to be the Silver level lounge access, other than inflight service which any PAX gets anyway.

Is QR losing the plot, expansion, new lounges, new routes, new airport seems to be the focus, and their regular PAX can take or leave it?

Its easier to keep a loyal customer base (e.g. PC members) by valuing them, than win new custom over and over.

Wake up QR to the real world
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:31 am

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
well according ro my experiences upgrade awards show up rather onky in the last week before the flight...and as descibed do get prepated for a very inefficient process...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.