Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

QR during Ramadan: Any service reduction?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

QR during Ramadan: Any service reduction?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:36 am

Programs: AMEX Cent AU, UA Plat, 9W Plat, Amtrak S+, HHonors Slv
Full service with all types of drinks on all legs JFK-DOH-CCU (r/t).

Only Ramadan restriction was a quick announcement prior to landing on CCU-DOH that due to the holy month of Ramadan, no eating/drinking was allowed in public areas of DOH airport.

Still saw plenty of folks violating that in the terminal, so I guess that it's more of a request and they weren't strictly enforcing it...
Old Aug 7, 2011, 5:03 am

People surprise me,they really do.It doesnt take much to respect other people's religions even if you dont agree with some aspects of that religion.I think its rude of people to break laws.Yet we call ourselves civilised?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by phillystudent
no eating/drinking was allowed in public areas of DOH airport.
No eating/drinking in public areas? Can anyone confirm this? What areas in an airport are not public? Surely they cannot expect travelers to fast while connecting in DOH, right?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:07 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by QR001
People surprise me,they really do.It doesnt take much to respect other people's religions even if you dont agree with some aspects of that religion.I think its rude of people to break laws.Yet we call ourselves civilised?
How about religions respecting non believers ?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:27 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by will2288
No eating/drinking in public areas? Can anyone confirm this? What areas in an airport are not public? Surely they cannot expect travelers to fast while connecting in DOH, right?
I heard the announcement too on my flights arriving in DOH this week. I interpreted it as meaning in 'public areas' (outside in the street, ...) in Doha/Qatar, not at the airport. In any event, there was a lot of eating and drinking going on in the Premium Terminal, only no (visible) alcohol.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 6:02 am

Programs: QR Gold, BAEC, Marriott Rewards Gold, SPG Gold
This is how I'd interpret the announcement too. AFAIK during the month of Ramadan travelers are specifically excluded from the food & drink restrictions. Taking that to a (sort of) logical conclusion; anyone in departures is likely to be 'traveling', anyone in the public areas such as the main concourse isn't.

QR001 - Anyone eating & drinking in departures isn't likely to be breaking any rules or showing disrespect I think.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: VS Gold,QR Gold, BA Silver
I am in Doha , having travelled on QR last night in Business Class, the situation as others have said is no alcohol is available in any of the lounges, the champagne is not served pre flight in doha, but is available soon after take off, as for other drinks as others have said they are all available as per the drinks menu, but the trolley does not appear at any time.

The service was great last night , I can see the lounge being dry would bother some , but for me I dont mind, and you can always book other airlines, emirates is different due to being more liberal with the rules.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
A very good reason to avoid QR Emirates is business as usual during Ramadan Christmas, Passover, whatever.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by rathin100
A very good reason to avoid QR .
Because you can't drink alcohol during a transit for less than 10% of the year?

You're going have to do better than that to persuade me to switch to Emirates, despite your obvious advertisement!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
Originally Posted by impeymac
Because you can't drink alcohol during a transit for less than 10% of the year?

You're going have to do better than that to persuade me to switch to Emirates, despite your obvious advertisement!
. Ok. Don't fly emirates. Fly Qatar. Get reduced service for a month a year. Don't fly 380s dont enjoy a comprehensive first class product, don't enjoy better frequencies to any destination whatsoever don't enjoy the perks of a really good FFP and then, enjoy an airline saving costs by getting all religous around you once a year.

If you don't live in Doha.....
There are good reasons why Qatar is number 2, soon number 3 in the Middle East
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by rathin100
. Ok. Don't fly emirates. Fly Qatar. Get reduced service for a month a year. Don't fly 380s dont enjoy a comprehensive first class product, don't enjoy better frequencies to any destination whatsoever don't enjoy the perks of a really good FFP and then, enjoy an airline saving costs by getting all religous around you once a year.

If you don't live in Doha.....
There are good reasons why Qatar is number 2, soon number 3 in the Middle East
Touched a nerve there I think.

The QR 777 J apparently beats the EK 380 J which has had mixed reviews (& the EK 777 J is 2-3-2!). The QR destinations & frequency suit my purposes very well indeed. The QR on board service is more consistant than the EK service, from what I read anyway. Not flown EK since passengers spreading out through the cabin on a lightly populated flight were removed so the seats could be used as crew rest areas on a daytime DXB-LHR flight.

And all because you can't get an alcoholic drink or two during a transit...?

LOL. You pays your money...

Last edited by impeymac; Aug 4, 2013 at 11:40 am Reason: Typo's
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Question:

You get access to booze on a 7+ hour flight with booze, land in Doha for 2 hours without booze, then another 7+ flght with booze. Do people really have to drink alcohol in the middle?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: QR Gold
Just to let you know,

in Islam, fasting is discouraged for travellers. So, eating and drinking will be allowed in the airport as travellers are usually not fasting (unless you are traveling on a 1 hour flight--whcih is bearable).

I would eat and drink in the terminal--no problem!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:25 am

Programs: LH SEN, AF/KL Platinum, QR Gold (OW Sapphire), A-Club Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Cabin crew can be very inonsitent with the on ground service during Ramadan. Flying out of Doha in J (dep. 01:45) Champagne was available still on ground.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: QR platinum, HH diamond, Hyatt GP diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by michi78
Cabin crew can be very inonsitent with the on ground service during Ramadan. Flying out of Doha in J (dep. 01:45) Champagne was available still on ground.
We flew out on July 30th, taking off at 8:00am (DOH-ORD) in J. Champagne was available on the tarmac then too. I guess YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.