Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qatar Airways | Privilege Club
Reload this Page >

Silver or Gold members - complimentary upgrades?

Old Jun 13, 11, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Gold UA, Silver AF

Do Silver or Gold members from time to time experience upgrades to Business or above when travelling in Economy with QR?
Old Jun 14, 11, 12:55 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Ag, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Spire, Hyatt Glob, Shangri-La
In my brief time as Silver, I received one Y->C upgrade (DOH-NBO), and in 57 segments in my year and a half or so as Gold, I have received one Y->C (DOH-MUC) and zero C->F comp upgrades. YMMV.
Old Jun 14, 11, 6:15 am

Yes they do.

I have had 7 Y-C 'op-ups' in 44 sectors, all on long haul flights, and I can't remember the last time that the economy cabin was full and I didn't get upgraded.
Old Jun 14, 11, 9:04 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Accor Silver, BA
Originally Posted by Nuff Said View Post
Yes they do.

I have had 7 Y-C 'op-ups' in 44 sectors, all on long haul flights, and I can't remember the last time that the economy cabin was full and I didn't get upgraded.
Are you serious? That's crazy, I need to fly with you. Are you silver or gold, and what fare code do you normally buy? Also, do you ever ask, or just get given them?

I've had 0 of 16 sectors (all long-haul) upgraded so far...
Old Jun 14, 11, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by InternationalLiving View Post
Are you serious? That's crazy, I need to fly with you. Are you silver or gold, and what fare code do you normally buy? Also, do you ever ask, or just get given them?

I've had 0 of 16 sectors (all long-haul) upgraded so far...
Yes, I am deadly serious, and can prove it!
Old Jun 17, 11, 6:03 am

Programs: QR Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
In 2010, My wife and I were upgraded two times out of the 10 individual sectors we took on Economy. Those two times the flight were overbooked but the other 8 times, the flight had a couple of seats open on Y still. We were Silver back then (now Gold).

I have asked the QR staff in the airport what their criteria for upgrading is and its usually dictated by the Y class being overbooked and needing to bump up some people onto J.

I'm not sure if there is actually a systematic way with who QR picks to bump up because my father, who had actually just joined QR PC, on his very first trip using QR got bumped up to J last year. The sector is almost always overbooked though (DOH-MNL).
Old Jun 21, 11, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Gold UA, Silver AF
Great feedback! Thanks guys!
Old Jun 21, 11, 8:00 pm

Yes they do.

Are you a stunning female with short skirt?

Last edited by joorinainen; Jun 22, 11 at 11:22 am
Old Jun 22, 11, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by joorinainen View Post
Are you a stunning female with short skirt?
Not last time I checked!
Old Jul 14, 11, 8:13 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver
Not last time I checked!
LOL! I have flown on QR a few times in the past and never knew that they offered such generous bumps to C. Always had to wander past the nice seats to Econ. Who would have guessed. I've flown a few flights from DOH to BKK and the Econ cabin was practically empty. People were taking up the middle aisle seats and making a bed for themselves.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: