QF 25 Question

Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Plastic Fantastic! - QF, DJ, AF, NZ, DL etc..
QF 25 Question

Hello
I'm booked on QF 25 MEL-AKL-LAX.
I know there's a four hour layover in AKL, plus a change of aircraft. On managae your booking, i've selected a seat in the front of the Y cabin (2 class 744), but what happens on the MEL-AKL 737 leg? Is it possible to select a seat at all or just pot luck at check in?

Also, is this operated with a jetconnect crew (flying in Oct). I've heard good or mixed things about JC, never flown with them.

Any feedback/advice appreciated.

Cheers

David.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:59 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF software can't handle change of aircraft type on a single flight number (and QFF can't handle the 2 segments -- treats it as 1). So you are not able to select seats on the 734 sector, but the AKL-LAX sector is the important seat and luckily that is selectable. Jetconnect is fine for what it is (domestic service level instead of international service level -- so a big step down from 744 service that QF25 used to have MEL-AKL). The real problem is the long layover time at AKL, this really isn't a through service, so QF using a single flight number is DISPICABLE. These are 2 unrelated flights, with a poor connection! The only reason to have the single flight number is to fool people. Even simple things like seat assignment fail due to the single flight number (would work fine with 2 separate flight numbers), so this practice causes grief for pax and airline alike.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: QF Plat (OWE)
QF25 is operated by QF not JetConnect
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I believe Jetconnect crew operate QF25/QF26 between MEL and AKL.

e.g. Today ZK-JTS operated QF25 MEL-AKL and has recently headed back AKL-MEL operating QF26.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 9:58 pm
Original Member

QF25 MEL-AKL-MEL is operated by Jetconnect (generally using a QF-owned 734 that is dry-leased). QF25 AKL-LAX-AKL is operated by a 744 (which actually does BNE-AKL-LAX-AKL-BNE, hence the mis-connect with the other leg of QF25 on the 734). QF didn't want to offer a 1-stop BNE-LAX flight on 744, so it instead markets MEL-LAX 1-stop on a "744" (with no disclosure of the 734 sector on most booking engines, until you go to try to do seat allocation and discover it cannot be done). Quaint.

The service level on MEL-AKL on QF25 is now completely different from what it was a few months ago on the same flight (QF25 MEL-AKL) when it was a 744 crewed by QF. So both hard and soft products have changed, but with the same flight number and timetable listing. How many businesses can change a product without disclosing a change in quality or service level?
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:41 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by robbo755
QF25 is operated by QF not JetConnect
Even though AKL-LAX-AKL is operated by QF, some of the crew are provided by Jetconnects Auckland Long Haul crew base.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=number_6;12329741]QF25 MEL-AKL-MEL is operated by Jetconnect (generally using a QF-owned 734 that is dry-leased). QF25 AKL-LAX-AKL is operated by a 744 (which actually does BNE-AKL-LAX-AKL-BNE, hence the mis-connect with the other leg of QF25 on the 734). QF didn't want to offer a 1-stop BNE-LAX flight on 744, so it instead markets MEL-LAX 1-stop on a "744" (with no disclosure of the 734 sector on most booking engines, until you go to try to do seat allocation and discover it cannot be done). Quaint./QUOTE]

I think you'll find the 744 doesn't got BNE/AKL/LAX, it use to for sure but now the 744 does LAX/AKL/LAX and doesn't do a trans-tasman run to either BNE or MEL. QF swap it over in LAX to cycle the 744 back to AU.

Way back when it was QF100/101 MEL/AKL/LAX and return in a 744, then it was QF25/26 BNE/AKL/LAX and return then they swaped it back to a MEL start/finish with a QF25 number. Now the 744 arrives ex LAX in AKL at 0730 (if you're lucky) and turns around to LAX with a mid afternoon departure.
Old Sep 4, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM, SkyTeam Gold, *A Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, mother's favorite son
FWIW, I flew QF26 LAX-AKL-MEL a few days ago. The transpac 744 flight was awesome; the TT flight with JetConnect on a 734 was one of the worst QF experiences I've ever had. Just ask for an exit row at check-in, hope for the best and get some sleep...
Old Sep 5, 2009, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zeffer
FWIW, I flew QF26 LAX-AKL-MEL a few days ago. The transpac 744 flight was awesome; the TT flight with JetConnect on a 734 was one of the worst QF experiences I've ever had. Just ask for an exit row at check-in, hope for the best and get some sleep...
Thanks. I'll try my luck at check in. Not keen on the 737-400, but not much can be done about this.

Cheers
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:48 pm
Original Member

Row 4 on the Jetconnect configured 734s is better than the exit row. It has much more leg room than regular rows (due to being the first row after J) and the first few rows in Y get the DVD players as the movie screen is not visible.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Unhappy

Another Question RE QF25 MEL-AKL-LAX,
I'm booked in QF Disc. Y
How are the status credits calculated? Is it a MEL-AKL-LAX (60pts) or just a straight forward MEL-LAX (same way the flight is marketed as a "direct" flight) 45 pts?
I need the extra 15 to qualify for Gold whilst in the US, can anyone help?
Thanks.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
MEL-LAX as if taking a nonstop flight.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:23 pm
Original Member

To get the 60SC for MEL-AKL-LAX you need a different flight number for the MEL-AKL leg. Of course that would increase the fare, so defeats your purpose. You might be able to find a cheap AS or AA fare out of LAX or the surrounding airports to get 20SCs. LAX-LAS-LAX used to be cheap and easy but not lately, however a fare sale just started yesterday so you should be able to find some MR material.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:16 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by number_6
To get the 60SC for MEL-AKL-LAX you need a different flight number for the MEL-AKL leg. Of course that would increase the fare, so defeats your purpose.
Not necessarily more expensive if the itinerary is done on 2 tickets, NZ to USA and Australia to NZ. Of course there are "hidden" costs with doing this (eg lower baggage allowance for the Tasman flights), particularly if wanting a same day connection (misconnect risks).
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The fare may increase by as little as only few dollars. If you can book, say MEL-AKL (not QF25) then AKL-LAX on QF25 within 24 hours of arrival AKL is treated as a stopover and depending upon the fare's routing rules will save.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.