Qantas Changes in New Zealand

Old Oct 20, 09, 10:52 pm

Programs: QF FF, Velocity, NZ FF
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
IFE on JQ is called sitting in 2A watching the crews faces during turbulence
Last night was the IFE was working on approach to AKL
Funny you say that...NZ staff tend to do this too, particularly on the smaller link aircraft. Obviously it has spread to JQ. On some of the worst days coming into Wellington I must say Qantas and Pacific Blue flities never turned a hair.
Old Dec 2, 09, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Several NZ changes including the (to be expected) closing of the domestic QP's on Dec 4th.

Domestic Qantas Club lounge changes
Now that all New Zealand domestic flights are operated by Jetstar, domestic Qantas Club lounges in Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington will close Friday 04 December 2009. Jetstar will shortly announce their plans for new pay per use lounges in New Zealand.

Where lounges are operated by Jetstar or a third party associated with Jetstar, ongoing complimentary lounge access will be available to Chairmans Lounge and Platinum members once these new lounges have opened.
Bump.

Is anyone here visiting the Domestic QANTAS NZ Club lounges tomorrow for one last time?

NB, still no news about the pay per use lounges in NZ.
Old Dec 3, 09, 2:21 pm

Programs: QF (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by futaris View Post
Bump.

Is anyone here visiting the Domestic QANTAS NZ Club lounges tomorrow for one last time?

NB, still no news about the pay per use lounges in NZ.
Considered it early this week as I have been flying for work.
Them I thought about "why bother." QF and JQ in NZ just leave me cold and I really do not care about them any more.
Old Dec 5, 09, 11:42 am

Programs: NZ Koru
When are the Jetstar lounges at AKL/WLG/CHC domestic opening?

I wonder if the pricing will be the same as the OOL one, $9.99(Before hand) $15 (@ the door)

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/travel-...unge/faqs.aspx

Still such a lack of information from Jetstar about it.

Might try it out on my finial Jetstar booking I have. Last time I was at CHC it cost $9.50 for a cold oily bit of pizza & a fanta.
Old Dec 5, 09, 1:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
So coming into the busiest travel period of the year QF has no domestic lounges in NZ. Nice way to annoy the few remaining loyal flyers (not).
Old Dec 5, 09, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
So coming into the busiest travel period of the year QF has no domestic lounges in NZ. Nice way to annoy the few remaining loyal flyers (not).
Yeah, very bad. Even their announcement recently that WP's will still have access to JQ lounges is not enough.

I think it proves the theory that Qantas doesn't care about NZ - not that any further proof was required!

For all NZ Qff'ers - enjoy Star Alliance. It's your only (reasonable) option.
Old Dec 5, 09, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
For all NZ Qff'ers - enjoy Star Alliance. It's your only (reasonable) option.
Theirs always that thing that they call Pacific Blue, which has dancing hosties. They are far worst than Jetstar!

Pacific Blue is a joke there first flight from AKL-CHC is at 9.30am and the last flight from CHC-AKL is 2.30pm.
Old Dec 5, 09, 4:51 pm

Programs: QF WP
Theirs always that thing that they call Pacific Blue, which has dancing hosties. They are far worst than Jetstar!
That's a bold remark. Pretty hard to do worse than Jetstar.

I think it boils down to that there is only one full cost choice in NZ domestic now. For those living in the LOTLWC, choosing a global alliance is pretty much a no-brainer (or at least one that will pay you back in your own country).

To get oneworld status, you'd have to be flying across to AU or doing YUPP runs in the US, for no real benefit except internationally from NZ, which is still a poor offering in terms of oneworld ex-NZ.

Seems like flying within - let alone to/from - New Zealand is a mug's game for any full cost carrier, except Air NZ.
Old Dec 5, 09, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by anat0l View Post
That's a bold remark. Pretty hard to do worse than Jetstar.
Ive flown Jetstar like 6 times in the last few months, In the end of the day you get used to them.

Apart from the free coffee & muffin you get on NZ the flight its self is basically the same. Which airline coffee is nothing to rave about!

The only plus would be is that NZ allows me to bring my own Latte onboard, whereas JQ has a no personal hot drinks policy.
Old Dec 6, 09, 1:26 am

Programs: QF WP
The only plus would be is that NZ allows me to bring my own Latte onboard, whereas JQ has a no personal hot drinks policy.
NZ also lets you accumulate status when you fly with them, even on the cheapest fares. Of course, if you don't fly enough during a year to gain status (i.e. at least Silver), then this point is rather moot.

But the point is that you will earn nothing at all flying JQ, unless you buy the flexible fares (of which you could do the same on NZ and be similarly - and perhaps more handsomely - rewarded). Yes, I know some of you are gaining JQ status credits for now - that will end soon......

IIRC DJ also allows you to accumulate status and points on all fares, even the cheapest ones. You may need to fly a hell of a lot of DJ to scribble up enough for a domestic award, though (unless you get one of the "sales" fares on points). Let's not even contemplate how much you'd need to do to get status.
Old Dec 6, 09, 6:14 am

Actually NZ also has the same policy

From the website
However for safety reasons, hot food and hot drinks may not be brought onboard.
Old Dec 6, 09, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by eoinnz View Post
Actually NZ also has the same policy

From the website
From http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/on-th...dual-diets.htm
You are also welcome to bring your hot drinks onboard with you, provided they have a lid on them.
Looks like they have two polices on it I'm sure a Soy Latte would be a dietary item!

anat0l: At the end of the day if there is a large price difference between NZ & JQ, I'll take JQ.