FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Qantas | Frequent Flyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer-498/)
-   -   Complaints success with Jetstar?? (merged thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qantas-frequent-flyer/962902-complaints-success-jetstar-merged-thread.html)

Brewsterz Jun 9, 2009 6:34 am

Complaints success with Jetstar?? (merged thread)

Dear all,

I have a legitimate complaint with Jetstar (refused check in to a JQ flight operated by QF because I had not been listed on the manifest - despite having a valid JQ itinerary in my hand - had to buy a full fare QF ticket for the flight I had already booked to get to my connection...long story) and anyway, I cannot get through to them whatever I try.

Written letter to JQ headquarters in Oz with all relevant supporting docs.
No reply. Faxed letter and docs to CS on number given by Oz CS line.
Told by CS also that the matter had been escalated to some CS complaints department and someone would call me in three working days. No one did. Called again the following week (international rate to Oz, as I live in BKK) and told there was nothing they could do and someone would call me in 4 working days. No point in arguing as the CS operator was based in Malaysia, despite calling the Oz line.

Seem to recall someone telling me somewhere along the line that a letter of complaint submitted to JQ will take a minimum of 3 months to be addressed.

My complaint relates to a flight in April and 450AUD that I have a legitimate right to be reimbursed for. (I am actually a qualified lawyer, so I am pretty sure I have a sound case and all the evidence to prove it...).

I just really want to know if anyone has ever had any success on getting anywhere with JQ and if so what tips, if any, they have to get past the gatekeeper.

Australia's equivalent of the small claims court?

Regards

WillR Jun 9, 2009 7:15 am

I can offer only limited experience - not with Jetstar, nor out of Victoria - but the VCAT allows a small claim (<$10,000 IIRC) to be lodged for around $30. I have done it a few times, when companies have ignored complaints or given bs excuses, and without fail they have settled the full amount rather than have to front up in person to the hearing (all my cases have been <$1000).

QF Lad Jun 9, 2009 8:28 am

I recall your original post, and I believe this is very poor on the part of the QF group.

Suggestions:

(1) can you dispute the original fare with your credit card provider, on the basis that the service charged was not provided - you may have to look at credit card time limits;

(2) a fax to the CEO's office, the pros and cons of which have been discussed in a recent thread in relation to an unsatisfactory F experience; or

(3) the Small Claims Tribunal may be the next alternative. The very act of lodging a claim is bound to get QF's attention, as they are not going to want to spend time defending this.

justin_krusty Jun 9, 2009 9:57 am

I can't remember from your original thread if you booked with Jetstar Asia, and if so have you tried chasing them?

744 Jun 9, 2009 10:17 am

This happens all the time. It's just because the 2 systems dont really talk very well to each other. The airports should follow their procedure and in your case call JQ to verify your reservation in their system then just onload you on the flight.

We just get so sick of dealing with this day in and day out but no body in QF or JQ systems seems to really care all that much, imho.

nonce Jun 9, 2009 3:22 pm

Surely this needs to be pursued out of the jurisdiction which to tickets were purchased? That is, if they were purchased from Jetstar Asia in BKK then you need to take it up with JQ Asia in BKK. I am not saying that it shouldn't be taken up, but just that you want to do it properly otherwise you are wasting time and more money.

There is no travel insurance which you can claim on for denied boarding and then let the travel insurance company sort it out?

BD1959 Jun 9, 2009 4:20 pm

Jetstar, Customer Service, oxymoron.

Caveat emptor.

BD

cpShawnie Jun 16, 2009 7:39 am

Has the OP had any satisfaction on the claim against Jetstar as yet?

If not, I would suggest making a complaint directly to Qantas. As your flight was a JQ codeshare operated by QF, I would think that QF bear equal liability with Jetstar to ensure their reservation systems adequately communicate with any/all booking channels. Further, it would have been QF staff who refused check-in (and who, according to "744", should have conferred with Jetstar reservations beforehand), and it was QF who sold a new full-fare ticket to the OP.

In my experience, QF customer service are more responsive than Jetstar (though not by much, unfortunately)... Also, pursuing a claim against QF would allow you to use the various small claims tribunals in Australia, despite purchasing your ticket through Jetstar Asia (I know this for sure in relation to VCAT as I used to work there - I was in charge of assessing VCAT's jurisdiction for claims - not 100% sure how this would stand in other states, but I think it would be the same).

Brewsterz Jun 16, 2009 10:46 am

Appalling, Appalling, Appalling JETSTAR Customer Service

Refused check in on a Jetstar flight I had paid for - right airport, in time, right itinerary, no fault on my part, apart from travelling with JQ - you may remember my initial post.

Spoke to JQ employee in MEL - you have a point! You have just paid 480AUD for a flight you have already paid for. Write into customer services.

Wrote letter to JQ - incomprehensible reply comes back that supports my case...?

Called Australian contact number - customer relations (CR) will call you back in 3 working days. No one did.

Called again - CR will call you back in 3 working days.

This happened 5 times through the contact centre in Malaysia, who you are routed to even if you call the +61 number.

Friday night managed to speak to someone in MEL - just pure luck and they arranged for someone to call me Monday 12.30pm my time.

GUESS WHAT? :mad::td: No one did.

Called CR Tuesday - all we can do is ask someone to call you in 3 working days. No call.

I have refaxed the 10 page set of documents supporting my case twice from Bangkok (where I am) at considerable cost.

I have posted copies off too.

Someone in the Malaysian call centre, who can do NOTHING to help you let it slip that MEL keep referring the problem back to them. Hence the incomprehensible letter from no-one. "We must clarify the relationship between QANTAS and JQ" - Yeah I know!

I am never normally defeated, but I think I am on this one. Goodbye 428 AUD!

The most expensive airline breakfast I have ever bought.

My only remaining route is to go through Jetstar Thailand, but as I live in Thailand I hold out little hope.

I am just extremely angry that they can hide away and just basically refuse to speak to you. They couldn't care less, having just lost a very frequent flyer indefinitely.

B:mad:

NZ_Flyer Jun 16, 2009 3:17 pm

Do you know any reporters? If you do and they think you're situation is worth publishing then that might be the only way to actually get a response from JQ...

Traveloguy Jun 16, 2009 3:32 pm

What about a nicely worded letter to AJ (Alan Joyce) to QF HQ as discussed in another thread?

Lonely Flyer Jun 16, 2009 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Brewsterz (Post 11916790)
Refused check in on a Jetstar flight I had paid for - right airport, in time, right itinerary, no fault on my part, apart from travelling with JQ - you may remember my initial post.

Spoke to JQ employee in MEL - you have a point! You have just paid 480AUD for a flight you have already paid for. Write into customer services.

Wrote letter to JQ - incomprehensible reply comes back that supports my case...?

Called Australian contact number - customer relations (CR) will call you back in 3 working days. No one did.

Called again - CR will call you back in 3 working days.

This happened 5 times through the contact centre in Malaysia, who you are routed to even if you call the +61 number.

Friday night managed to speak to someone in MEL - just pure luck and they arranged for someone to call me Monday 12.30pm my time.

GUESS WHAT? :mad::td: No one did.

Called CR Tuesday - all we can do is ask someone to call you in 3 working days. No call.

I have refaxed the 10 page set of documents supporting my case twice from Bangkok (where I am) at considerable cost.

I have posted copies off too.

Someone in the Malaysian call centre, who can do NOTHING to help you let it slip that MEL keep referring the problem back to them. Hence the incomprehensible letter from no-one. "We must clarify the relationship between QANTAS and JQ" - Yeah I know!

I am never normally defeated, but I think I am on this one. Goodbye 428 AUD!

The most expensive airline breakfast I have ever bought.

My only remaining route is to go through Jetstar Thailand, but as I live in Thailand I hold out little hope.

I am just extremely angry that they can hide away and just basically refuse to speak to you. They couldn't care less, having just lost a very frequent flyer indefinitely.

B:mad:

SUE!!!!!!

pjoalfa Jun 17, 2009 8:21 am

Try the Conde Nast Ombudsman?

Brewsterz Jun 20, 2009 5:01 am

Breakthrough!

I think there may have been a breakthrough - but only because I took drastic action! I am not saying more until it is all confirmed - needless to say I am flabbergasted at the speed of contact after the action I took!

I'll be back!
B;)

atomica Jun 22, 2009 11:08 pm

no refund

Hey Brewsterz, i'd love to know what you did...

I had my flight SIN-BKK cancelled in early Dec08 due to the political unrest in Bangkok when the aiport was closed.

I was stranded at Changi, and it has been over 6 MONTHS and i still can't get a refund. This is despite calling many, many times and insisting to speak to someone with some authority to progress the issue. I've written to the customer service address at Changi too, but of course that will no good at all.

I'm not a frequent flyer or anything like that, and i don't know what recourse i have.. all i know is that i'm getting absolutely nowhere trying to get a completely legitimate refund.

What's worse is that i flew home rather than to Bangkok (via another airline), and am still stuck with a BKK to MEL flight that i really don't want but can't get my money back on. The last thing i want to do now is fly with Jetstar ever again.

If anyone has any suggestions, i'd love to hear about them!