Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

Qantas Advance Seat Selection - For PS and above from May 27th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas Advance Seat Selection - For PS and above from May 27th

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by jaffa.oz
The same is for Econ, 1st row WP's/CL row 2 SG. However this may change after the program begins, apparently it is being concidered that 2 rows for WP/CL and 2 rows for SG mat be introduced.

Please don't shoot the messenger.
Thanks for posting

So thats worse than I was fearing, here's hoping they move to 2 rows asap otherwise late bookers (especially SG's) are going to get screwed bigtime. Wildcard will be the exit rows which I'm not a massive fan of as they're so far back but if they're held back and allocated based on status they might become the booby prize. One wonders why they went through the effort of the new setup and virtual allocations if they were going to chuck it out for a much more primitive system a few months later.
Old May 23, 2009, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Matches what I am seeing with a domestic flight I booked on Wednesday.

I have been allocated 5C for both segments on 73H equipment. More often than not, row 4 is what I get with OLCI (my Status is WP PG).
Old May 23, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: QFF/NZ/
Originally Posted by serfty

I have been allocated 5C for both segments on 73H equipment. More often than not, row 4 is what I get with OLCI (my Status is WP PG).
As a matter of interest may I ask how far in advance have you booked?

ZK-BEU
Old May 23, 2009, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ZK-BEU
As a matter of interest may I ask how far in advance have you booked?

ZK-BEU
... next week
Old May 23, 2009, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by serfty

I have also been allocated the same.

SYD-PER has no "Seat Selection" line under "Class" in "More Flight Info"
PER-SYD the following week has the seat selection line saying 5C (yes i know, PER-SYD on a 737 sucks bigtime, luckily it's a K fare).

Not sure why I don't have a seat selection for SYD-PER?
Old May 24, 2009, 5:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
As a frequent flyer on NZ also, I echo BlackCloud's concerns. If change flight late (eg due to schedule change or flight cancellation) NZ does however seem to be willing to bump pax out of "good" seats to sit an elite pax who would otherwise be stuck down the back in middle seat. I wonder if QF will do the same?
Then there are aircraft changes - two months out, SYD-MEL on a 763, 23B is available, so you snare it. A couple of days before travel the aircraft changes to a 73H due to low demand (but the flight is now full due to the lower capacity), and 23B is no longer so attractive - BUT no ability to change seats due to the high number of pre-allocations.

(I know, there will all of a sudden be a stack of seats in rows 5 to 22 available, but you get my point - if you aren't constantly checking your aircraft types on every booking you have, you can get caught out.)

Dave
Old May 24, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Interestingly not a single upcoming domestic flight I have allows me to change my seats so quite surprised to see some of you are able to do this prior to the 27th. Or has the seat selection only been made available to new rather the prior bookings?
Old May 24, 2009, 1:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by AnonymousCoward
I usually have the same problem on QF with last minute changes under the old system. Once a large number of people have checked in, there just isn't much left and QF aren't going to move people just so I can have a better seat.

No change here that I can see.
It's not something I ask for but has been known to happen.

Originally Posted by ZK-BEU
Not entirely sure I would be that happy having booked and paid for a flight, checked in either online or at the airport all by the book to find myself bumped to the back of the plane at the last minute because someone with more "status" or perhaps "self importance" decides they want my seat.QF or NZ would have to decide who they want to upset the least. Infrequent flyers who make up a large portion of the bums in seats or the frequent flyers who may fly more often but make up a lesser portion of the airlines total revenue.
Frequent flyers contribute a high proportion of revenue, which is why airlines even bother having status benefits.
Old May 24, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
RUMOUR on 3AW this morning: QF will introduce a levy for exit row seats by year-end .... will be interesting to see if this actually happens.

BD
Old May 24, 2009, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Interestingly not a single upcoming domestic flight I have allows me to change my seats so quite surprised to see some of you are able to do this prior to the 27th. Or has the seat selection only been made available to new rather the prior bookings?
Even though I can see seats preallocated, there is no option as yet to change.

This booking has flights for tomorrow; there is no seating preallocated for those flights. The flights with seat preallocation showing are for dates after 27th May.

It will be interesting to see what happens on Wednesday.
Old May 24, 2009, 9:14 pm

Programs: QF. UA. Avis. AMEX.
It appears that in the process of implementing this change QF have reverted back to using the surname of the first PAX as the deciding member for status when ranking for seat allocation. My wife and I both have window in our profiles for domestic, she is gold and I am platinum. Her surname occurs in the alphabet before mine (making her always PAX1 according to QF). For a SYD-DRW flight in Sept in U class we have been pre-allocated row 2, wife in the window, myself in the aisle. Before the change this would have seen ourselves in row 1, myself in the window.

This will mess up any plats who travel with lower status PAX with an earlier surname on the same PNR. Wonder if I can call QF and get it changed?
Old May 24, 2009, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by nonce
This will mess up any plats who travel with lower status PAX with an earlier surname on the same PNR. Wonder if I can call QF and get it changed?
Generally the call centre people are quite helpful with matters like this. I'd certainly make the phone call.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BD1959
RUMOUR on 3AW this morning: QF will introduce a levy for exit row seats by year-end .... will be interesting to see if this actually happens.

BD
Link here
Qantas will introduce new fees of up to $160 for emergency exit row seats which offer extra leg room on long-haul overseas flights.

Under new plans confirmed today the airline will introduce a pre-purchase option for emergency exit row seats for international trips in economy class.

"This will give customers greater choice and access to seats that offer more leg room. A similar service is offered by many other airlines," an airline spokesperson said in a statement.

The new fees are still being finalised, however, the airline will likely charge consumers $80 for shorter flights and $160 for longer flights. Under the changes, Trans-Tasman flights will be excluded.

Frequent flyers will also be able to use points to pre-purchase the seats (ranging from 10,000 to 20,000 points).
Not good
Old May 25, 2009, 12:09 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Thumbs down WP Benefot erosion

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I have often wondered if QF new senior management want to show WP that they are more concerned about the revenue we generate rather than how much we have flown OW to get our status.
Certain things seem to point that AJ is going to be more harsh than GD was and if QF does not generate a premium over what JQ can then JQ will be replacing QF.
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
How do you draw the following conclusion from the new seating functionality?

I think it is still very much early days for AJ and we are yet to see whether Jetstaration will be the theme of his tenure. If anything, I would not be surprised to see JQ hived off in a few years.
Originally Posted by BD1959

BD
Whether this would have occurred under GD or some other CEO QF is moving to reduce WP benefits and link benefits and other things more to revenue.
I am seriously considering dumping QF, I cannot get AA EXPLAT with my flight patterns, if other rumoured benefit reductions are announced. The current status benefits may someday be seen as a "Golden Age of FF".
Old May 25, 2009, 12:34 am

Thought I'd book a flight for thursday to see how it's working. Was given an automatic seat allocation in row 7 on a 738 with no chance to change it. This is the worst seat allocation I've had for the past 100 flights or so and the flight I'm on (QF559) has had very light loads recently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.