Wiki Posts
Search

Qantas in Hobart to close

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, QF LTG, PC Plat, FlyingBlue
Qantas in Hobart to close

Just received a letter from Qantas advising they will close their sales office in Hobart.
The Qantas Travel retail store located at 130 Collins Street Hobart will close on Friday 29th May 2009
Could this be the start of a total withdrawal by QF from Tassie?
Old May 18, 2009, 7:21 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Aren't the Qantas retail stores now owned/operated by Jetset Travelworld
Old May 18, 2009, 8:26 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by biba
Only if JQ or DJ aircraft can offer passenger oxygen for medical cases.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:15 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Well I do note that Tasmanian Woolworth stores are to be excluded from the new relationship between Qantas FF and Everyday Rewards. Perhaps Qantas know that the cable connecting Tasmania to the mainland is about to be severed allowing Tasmania to float freely eastward with the tidal currents as part of the Australian Government's deal to annex New Zealand by offering Tasmania as the West Island of the 7th state.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:43 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, Velocity
The reason for QF FF in Everyday rewards being excluded in Tassie is I suspect due to some legacy rewards program from when the woolworths were purity. We dont actually HAVE everyday rewards earning down here, although you can still REDEEM at the woolworths petrol stations - though they do tend to look at you funny.
Old May 18, 2009, 9:55 pm

I wouldnt read to much into this.

Qantas travel closed/closing in BNE as well.
Old May 19, 2009, 12:59 am

Programs: QFF/NZ/
Like Brad said not a lot in this.
With web based sales the norm now Airline run travel shops are likely to become a thing of the past in all but major centres.

ZK-BEU
Old May 19, 2009, 1:34 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
QF closed their Parramatta Travel Centre about the same time as Badgerys Creek International airport was given the axe. I'm not convinced it was cause and effect though.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by biba
There have been a few threads discussing the possibility of QF pulling out of Tasmania with the general consensus they won't, due to how packed most flights are in and out.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:18 am

Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Originally Posted by vecta
There have been a few threads discussing the possibility of QF pulling out of Tasmania with the general consensus they won't, due to how packed most flights are in and out.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qanta...op-hobart.html
Old May 19, 2009, 2:18 am

Programs: QFF/QC, BA Blue, IntCont(PC), HHon Gold, BWGCC, AvisPref, Hertz#1Gold, AmexBA, BAA WorldCard
Originally Posted by NM
Well I do note that Tasmanian Woolworth stores are to be excluded from the new relationship between Qantas FF and Everyday Rewards.
Apparently, they have something called the Frequent Shopper Club (cards show F$C). Just last night (!) I was told about it: spend $2000 get a $20 reward. At an earning rate of 1%, that's in line with industry averages.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:37 am

Programs: QFF
No problems with the CBR office then?
Old May 19, 2009, 7:52 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by NM
....as part of the Australian Government's deal to annex New Zealand by offering Tasmania as the West Island of the 7th state.
I always thought NZ would annex the Australian mainland as the West Island...

Airlines worldwide are closing their travel centres. Doesn't make much sense for them.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:14 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ZK-BEU
Like Brad said not a lot in this.
With web based sales the norm now Airline run travel shops are likely to become a thing of the past in all but major centres.

ZK-BEU
BNE not a major centre. I think you demean BNE and our State.
Old May 19, 2009, 2:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
BNE not a major centre. I think you demean BNE and our State.
In this day and age of the overwhelmingly vast majority of bookings being made over the net or through TA's, the need for airline travel centres needs to be properly evaluated.

QF have a perfectly adequate travel centre located (funnily enough) at BNE airport.

Looking at the product offering out of various Australian cities, BNE doesn't even warrant F service, whilst SYD and MEL do.

QF have evidently decided that BNE doesn't need a mid-city travel centre (and as a shareholder, I am glad that they have decided not to pay mid-city rentals for such a property) when perfectly adequate facilities are located a short distance away at BNE airport.

And BNE is NOT a major centre, it is an overly large country town! <g,d,r>

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.