Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Qantas | Frequent Flyer
Reload this Page >

QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

QF 29/30- Mel -HKG-LHR- First avail. gone all July and August

Old May 18, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AN_Boy
HKG-LAX is also 500M shorter than AKL-LAX so Im sure they could do it if they wanted.
I think you meant HKG-LHR!

I suspect the winds between HKG and LHR are a big factor compared to transpacific routes due to the position of the jetstream although I seem to recall AF operated A332s between HKG and CDG (AF183/184) up until around 3 years ago (although not anymore as it is now a 777).
Old May 18, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
If QF do use a A332 for this route, where would this leave PE passengers?
Old May 18, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
If QF do use a A332 for this route, where would this leave PE passengers?
Flying QF9?
Old May 18, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG, HHonors Diamond, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by serfty
Flying QF9?
... or BA for HKG-LHR (and vv)

BD
Old May 18, 2009, 9:08 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by BD1959
... or BA for HKG-LHR (and vv)

BD
Of VS
Old May 18, 2009, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by NM
Of VS
Or NZ.
Old May 18, 2009, 10:01 pm

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Originally Posted by serfty
First class availability disappears from QF29 from Monday 6th July.
Hmm... I've had a look at about 20 dates in July/Aug for the HKG-LHR sector for July the GDS doesnt show F0A0, just starts from J9D9 etc
It also shows row 1 as only 2 seats ie x-x and row 2-4 is x-xx-x
It then only shows the upper deck as having J.

For the Aug flights it still shows F0A0 and the normal J seating ie xx-xx and xx-xxx-xx

I would say that it looks like F will be sold as J... so get in quick to change seats!!
Old May 18, 2009, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AN_Boy
Hmm... I've had a look at about 20 dates in July/Aug for the HKG-LHR sector for July the GDS doesnt show F0A0, just starts from J9D9 etc ...
Hmmm... Maybe Qantas are still adjusting their GDS loadings (manually?).

Before posting around 24 hours ago I saw many the F0 A0's on E/F for July 6th and later. Later in the year all reference to F had disappeared.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:02 pm

Programs: Virgin Australia Velocity Gold
Exclamation Important

From 06JUL-31OCT QF29/QF30 will be operated by 2/3/4-class 747-400s (three/four-class 744s with F sold as J), resulting in the loss of a true First product. For the month of July, random dates will still show F availability (however restricted this may be).

Id argue that Qantas would have simply conducted an exhaustive review of the route and found that there was a lack of full-fare paying F passengers (too many passengers upgrading or on deeply discounted tickets perhaps?). Factor in CXs apparent success with the new 2-class (J/Y) 33B product in Melbourne, I think Qantas has woken and smelt the roses. Then again the removal of F on QF29/QF30 could be for completely different reasons and is something that may never be revealed. I wouldnt think maintenance requirements or commitments have anything to do with the situation and neither would product upgrades.

First should be available for sale for travel from November (with the introduction of the NS09/10 schedules) onwards, however if further research and analysis suggests that the route does not warrant F, the premium product may not return to QF29/QF30 (brings MEL into line with BNE/ADL/PER-HKG services).

I would envisage Qantas will begin contacting those affected passengers in due course and Id keep an eye on the infamous Qantas Agents website (has a history of showing unpopular product/schedule changes).

Cheers
Old May 18, 2009, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was sure when doing a search yesterday that f/A had disappear at lest until dates I checked in December.

In any case 1 seat First Class award availability is very apparent on Mo/Tu/We/Th from Nov 3.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:21 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Seatmap change for QF30 on checkmytrip.com

I'll be flying on QF30 in July, and I was checking my reservation these days since this discussion started. As of this morning, the seat map in my reservation on checkmytrip.com just changed. While the economy started with row 40 till yesterday, now it starts at row 34, but it seems that it is still a 4-class 744, as the seat map shows rows 34 to 37 as 2-4-2. So, does this mean they are going to sell PE seats as Economy?

Also, while until yesterday I was able to see the seat map and theoretically change the seat assignment for this flight on expedia.com now I cannot see the seat map on expedia.
Old May 19, 2009, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
We will be flying HKG-LHR on QF29 in July, booked in PE. I was contacted by my travel agent this morning that our seats have been changed from 35A&C to 25A&C. I then checked this flight with ExpertFlyer and Checkmytrip and it seems to be that PE seats will be sold as economy and we PE passengers will be seated in business seats (rows 23-26). First class seats and upper deck business will be sold as business class.

This will be a great trip - first time flying QF in PE, LHR-HKG in PE seats and HKG-LHR in business seats ^
Old May 19, 2009, 5:49 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by vulle
This will be a great trip - first time flying QF in PE, LHR-HKG in PE seats and HKG-LHR in business seats ^
Good to get a win sometimes!
Old May 19, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
Qantas Withdraws FC on Other Routes as Well!

The following was written in the May 20 issue of Air Transport World Online...

Qantas withdrew first class from sale for flight departures between July 6 and Oct. 31 on three routes due to the downturn in premium traffic. The flights are Sydney-San Francisco, Sydney-Buenos Aires and Melbourne-Hong Kong-London Heathrow.

ATWOnline: http://www.atwonline.com/

Old May 20, 2009, 3:02 am

first to eze

I just checked the Qantas website I could still book first to eze on the 25th July, I am hoping they remove it as I figure they will still use a four class (er maybe due to distance) with a bit of luck maybe a trip in first class seats might make me change my choice of lan over qantas for flat beds if this is the case

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.